Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

f7r turbo (AGAIN!)

hi thought id put this up for some people to see what's involved or thinking of doing it.
    i expect it to be re-built and running in the next month so will be updated regularly.

ive bought a 2.0 16v megane f7r engine for £80 quid off e-bay i've stripped the engine down and will be having the pistons turned down to lower the compression

but i have noticed that the block deck is cracked between the water jackets yet again just like my last f7r block but i do have a spare block which is mint condition

ive also started to fabricate another turbo manifold but as of yet unsure to go t3 or t28

dropped my crank off for a re-grind today which was £90 also ordered my bearings, piston rings and gaskets today. the rings were £70 bearings were around £30 each for the mains and big ends and £15 for the thrust bearings i think the head gasket was £22 and the manifold gaskets were £10
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by steer from the rear; 11-05-2011 at 22:19.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: f7r turbo (AGAIN!)

right been busy buying and selling a house so can crack on and put some pictures up and i painted the car in between, ive painted all my parts and here and there and skimmed the head and replaced the cam followers but did have a problem timing it up as the dayco (i think??? ) belt wouldnt line up on the marks but i lined the cams up and the crank was locked on the pin so sod it the lines wrong on the belt are wrong!

so crank was ground and put in with new mains and thrusts
    big ends were ground and replaced
    new rings and pistons turned down
    all new gaskets and cam followers
    new timing belt and tentioners

just got to finish it tomorrow, sump, rockercover, flywheel, clutch.............need a boxnext and can mount it on my painted sub frame with polly bushes and pull my engine out to paint the engine bay

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure both myself & James5 have dayco belts on our F7P's & the lines are spot on with the markings.... Can't see why an F7R would be different..
    Cam marks are both up & the bottom pulley is down IIRC, there are marks on all 3 & the belt & as you say there is a TDC hole in the block, you have to be sure you have it in the locking gap & not a balance hole though....
    I assume that you have turned it by hand & it doesn't clash ? If so it's deffo an odd one.

I like that manifold as well could do with one myself

East Midlands Regional Rep Os8472's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The belt on mine is the same mate, even though the cams and crank are timed right the marks on the belt don't aline, I wouldn't worry mate, along as timing is right it'll be fone.

Only bit of advice I'd give is bin off the megane head and whack big valves in a Clio valver head, the megane ports are tiny, where as the Clio jobs are way bigger

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5teve L View Post
    I'm sure both myself & James5 have dayco belts on our F7P's & the lines are spot on with the markings.... Can't see why an F7R would be different..
    Cam marks are both up & the bottom pulley is down IIRC, there are marks on all 3 & the belt & as you say there is a TDC hole in the block, you have to be sure you have it in the locking gap & not a balance hole though....
    I assume that you have turned it by hand & it doesn't clash ? If so it's deffo an odd one.

I like that manifold as well could do with one myself

Yeah mine is a Dayco and marking are spot on for timing pulleys match cam cover and crank has pin, but to be honest as long as the pulleys and the crank are in the correct place makes no difference at all

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I had the pin in the cut out and both cam marks on the rocker cover so Its cool I can make any manifold up you like lol just want some injectors next I've a scooby turbo 2000 I was wondering if the injectors would fit as I've a high independence injectors like small ones unlike the 21 turbo injectors I use to run

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steer from the rear View Post
    I had the pin in the cut out and both cam marks on the rocker cover so Its cool I can make any manifold up you like lol just want some injectors next I've a scooby turbo 2000 I was wondering if the injectors would fit as I've a high independence injectors like small ones unlike the 21 turbo injectors I use to run
    What management are you running ?
    I have some dark green 803's that I'm selling.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Adaptronic but I don't know if the large type bosch injectors fit my fuel rail as the injecors in the megan head are different to the f7p and f7r heads

Post Thanks / Like

Adaptronic but I don't know if the large type bosch injectors fit my fuel rail as the injecors in the megan head are different to the f7p and f7r heads
    Different capacity but same fitment, which rail u using? F7p job or the Megane job?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Os8472 View Post
    Different capacity but same fitment, which rail u using? F7p job or the Megane job?
    has to be megane or custom as the port spacing is diffrent but customs my middle name, im thinking these will flow enough and the same style as the megane

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Saab-9-5-98-01...item43a8281159

and were saying these also fit, not longer ect

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/B204E-SAAB-9-3...item33683a9bcd

scooby injectors compleatly diff.....................looks like i will keep the scooby to make a 4x4 2.0 16 v turbo 5

Post Thanks / Like

has to be megane or custom as the port spacing is diffrent but customs my middle name, im thinking these will flow enough and the same style as the megane

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Saab-9-5-98-01...item43a8281159

and were saying these also fit, not longer ect

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/B204E-SAAB-9-3...item33683a9bcd

scooby injectors compleatly diff.....................looks like i will keep the scooby to make a 4x4 2.0 16 v turbo 5
    Er I'm using a megane head and a clio valver fuel rail, fits perfect buh, who told u it wouldn't fit?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Os8472 View Post
    Er I'm using a megane head and a clio valver fuel rail, fits perfect buh, who told u it wouldn't fit?
    Me lmao! I seen the port spacing was different and noticed the injectors were different and the fuel rail I was like o well, I really need to try things first, I'm coming to be putting the inlet manifold and gearbox on today ready to mount on the subframe, but my coilovers have shown up too ahhhhhh so much to do

Todays jobs finish engine flywheel clutch and mount box then slap it on the subframe

Then I've injectors, exhaust manifold to finish fabricating over the gearbox, 21 turbo turbo to find, but with it being a williams I don't want to rev it so want to keep the 6500 rpm red line so do i use a t28

Post Thanks / Like

The second eBay ad for the 0280 150 431, are the high flow (346cc/min @ 3 Bar) injectors. Not sure what the other ones are but if they're off a non-turbo car I'd say they won't flow enough?

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to say that the car is looking schmick!!!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Them injectors are the ones all the vauxhall lads use to upgrade there LET engines too I'm just hoping that 350cc will flow enough fuel, I've not got into calculations yet just been concentrating on getting this engine dust/dirt free and all sealed and timed correctly, injector calculations are tonight's job but I'm wanting 15psi-20psi more like 15 as I don't want gearbox changes every week

Post Thanks / Like

i will be selling a set of bosch injectors that i had re-made for my f7pturbo conversion in the next few weeks they are 500cc at 3bar at 90% duty my car made 320hp at 18psi on adaptronic ecu and scoff mapping.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ted send us a pm with a price I NEED injectors asap I was going to look through the cossie forums as they change injectors more than I change my underpants! I've just finished the engine just bolting the inlet maifold up and going to get it off the engine stand with the fork truck

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

right kids finished the engine, all looks like its just come from renault,few pics there of the enigne but next problem, i want the adaptroinc to read the flywheel so if you see the pic do i turn the long tooth into 2 making the flywheel 60 teeth and the reset or do i turn it into 1 tooth, same as the rest giving me a big gap so its 59 teeth and a reset

like my turbo! any one in london wanna kill a 200sx breaker dude for me! waste of a £130 quid!

so t28 or t3 £400 to spend, keeping the williams rev limit of 6.5k 18 psi max do i recon this core or buy a maram shafted t3

pros and cons please peeps, whos runing what on theres got a rad,intercooler,turbo,injectors and loom to do this week want it in next weekend!

Post Thanks / Like

Looking good I can't comment on the t3 on the f7p eninge as I have an s14 t28 on mine and it pulls very very nice @15psi. My t28 pulls all the way to the limit which is 7250 on my ecu full boost is around 3.5k have to say the car flys there is no loss of boost @ high revs either.

Post Thanks / Like

no you want it in by next saturday afternoon

as you start painting saturday night for me!!! :-P

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

todays activitys right as u may of well read im a fool with a 20mm clutch so ive ordered a ap paddle jobbie which shall be with me tomorrow

so today ive made room in my workshop for swapping the engine over and painting the engine bay next week as im going to go the rolling road sturday with the f7p in it

ive poped a quickshift in which has made it super short throw cool now

i had to take the ring gear off my flywheel so not to drill it and watch it exsplode at 7000rpm so out came the burner dropped the ring gear off and then drilled and tapped the flywheel to suit then i had to mod the reset for my adaptronic for the 60-2 trigger pattern on the flywheel

think thats it just the clutch flywheel and box to mount on the subframe and my radiator came from a 206 to go in next week just the oil cooler and intercooler to buy i think

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

right ive been painting and i caught my finger in the grinder which involved A&E as it ground my finger to the bone

i was modding a release frork as it wouldnt fit the bearing and sliped sticking my knuckle into the 6" bench grinder never seen a white thing in my finger before! wasnt much blood either for some reason

so any way ive mounted the flywheel and clutch put the gearbox on all fits dug out a polly bushed sub-frame i painted last year

so i got the car in and dropped the engine out, took a good hour so i then started cleaning and preping the engine bay, ive removed all the brackets and stuff and painted it black

then i had a stupid idea and took 4 hours to mask with my finger and some help from the other half what do you think keep it or loose it?

Post Thanks / Like

Nice project dude. The car looks so good in white with the grey kit on
    I love the bay too. I had the same sort of thing going on in my old Evo

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

i love that evo bay but how do people manage to do the chequers so well! mines ****e. any way engines in now, my intercooler and fan came today so can do the pipework tomorrow. ive a 3" downpipe to fit in

Post Thanks / Like

i love that evo bay but how do people manage to do the chequers so well! mines ****e. any way engines in now, my intercooler and fan came today so can do the pipework tomorrow. ive a 3" downpipe to fit in

Looking Engine looks so OE, think Scratchers cheque's were sticker's,

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

been on the war path this month

t34 and a 38mm waste gate LARGE LOL

the way to take a engine out

and cutting out stuff thats no use

more this week

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

i take it your going for the big 400 or slightly more .........???

fair play chap

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd love 400..... Don't know where I'd put it lol well were at 3ish and the limitations on my T3 and injectors are stopping me now so now I progress but I've standard rods and pistons so can't go over 20psi and std rod bolts do can't rev it hard

Over 300 and I'm happy maybe after the interiors is finished this year I will re do the manifold and put rods and pistons next year it's insane now lmao

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

been cracking the whip this week:

old position of rad

new mod'ed subframe

3"flex put in this time!

all tacked up

forgot something......afr sensor boss

all dropped back in, new bracket for the coil pack fabricated also

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

getting there

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I want to put the screamer pipe out the wing but I've a wheel in the way, I'd of put it back into the exhaust but there's no fun in that, it might have to go to the floor after all

I will get it all built up today and see where I'm at as regards to space. I need some new pipes for the air filter thanks to the small African snail of a compressor housing ha ha and I need a v band clamp in 2.5" for the exhaust then I can fire it up

Post Thanks / Like

I want to put the screamer pipe out the wing but I've a wheel in the way, I'd of put it back into the exhaust but there's no fun in that, it might have to go to the floor after all
    Its possible to poke the screamer pipe out the wing, i've done it

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Anti-Social minds think alike lol
    I will have a poke about with a bit of pipe tomorrow, I just remembered I need a waste gate solenoid also don't want a aem one are them r-spec ect ones any good on eBay?

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Anti-Social minds think alike lol
    I will have a poke about with a bit of pipe tomorrow, I just remembered I need a waste gate solenoid also don't want a aem one are them r-spec ect ones any good on eBay?
    Same valve as far as I can tell mate, except the AEM one costs 200% more They're just mac valve copies. AEM's come with a filter for the vent port, and a shiney AEM sticker, incase that floats your boat

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

But, get yourself to the scrapyard, take the N75 valve from just about any VW or Audi turbo, they work well. Later vauxhall turbos too (Z20LET, Z20LEH VXR's etc) all have a solenoid on or around the turbo.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking about popping to Blackwell hydraulics and seeing what electronic 3 port air valves they have to offer........ At least I can book it to a vehicle and get it for free then

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

wow this build looks awesome! never seen it before!
    what radiator is it? looks massive!

how much did you skimm the dish? what compression ratio do you expect it to be?

i'm building a low-boost F7R atm, my compression ratio will be somewhere around 9,2:1. skimmed the dish by 1mm and the edge 1,25mm.

Post Thanks / Like

update needed mate!

South West Regional Rep Alastair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The build lives on.

Name:  D161BD42-81EC-45BD-BE5B-656B7344B9F4.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  193.6 KBName:  D161BD42-81EC-45BD-BE5B-656B7344B9F4.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  193.6 KB

Post Thanks / Like

This time in a GTX more door.

If Russ is still about there is some info I could do with on the spec, fuel pressure, etc...

It certainly shifts at 25 psi on a GT3071R ... but it’s getting turned down until the forged bits go in.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  70236FAD-1991-4EB1-9EDD-A27994C72DF7.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  132.8 KB

Name:  406BA0B4-1DF4-4B99-B26B-98F555101469.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  136.8 KBName:  212F852A-35E3-4A77-B419-6EABEA97A901.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  153.6 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Ive got an F7P on the bench at the moment. I just look at it to see what im going to do with it! It looks to be quite a strong lump compared with the F4R, gear driven oil pump etc. I have forge pistons, F4 rods, manifold etc and all gaskets to get it built up.

Not a priority at the moment though.

Post Thanks / Like

Bay looks nice and I bet it is epic with that turbo especially when set up! Have you got any more pics and info on the car, are you building a forged lump for it now, have you put the engine into the gtx shell, did the other come to an abrupt end or rot? Are you tracking or fast road?

Post Thanks / Like

Looking good

Post Thanks / Like

nice to see it going again mike said its a nippy fecker i built the red ola you bought lol