Post Thanks / Like

Strip down

I may sound like a t@@t here but thought il ask anyway. I am stripping my 5 down and I am a novice mechanic, all going well until I have to get a solid metal pipe about 5mm diameter out the back of my turbo elbow that is stopping me taking my heat shield off. The pipe goes to some pipe on the carb/intake and when I screw the nut out it doesn’t come of? Please help and feel free to rip me if necessary

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Strip down

Hi. That pipe is a right pain! Unfortunately, you may need to cut off and either replace, or do away with it entirely. You can block off the turbo elbow with suitable bolt and the carb hose.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help much appreciated.
    Likes Matt Cole liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well I got that pipe off just giving it a hefty pull thanks. That was ages ago now, I’ve still not done a fat lot though. I have the fuel system, brake system, engine, gearbox and interior to take out now and that’s that. One thing I have left attached engine bay related which I can’t figure out how to get off now is a pale whiteish wire going into the gearbox above where the drivers side drive shaft comes out, just above it. Its not coming off with a gentle pull and I don’t want to use force. The other end of the cable goes into a large 3 pin cylindrical plastic socket. Is this the speedo cable?

Post Thanks / Like

Have you removed the retaining clip above speedo sensor, allen bolt fixing.

Post Thanks / Like

No I haven’t and I feel daft now because I was going to undo that thinking it may have needed to be done. Many thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok so I am going to remove the fuel tanks and lines next. What is the best way to go about this please. There is a little bit of petrol in the tank. Also with a F7R eventually going in, will I still use the gtt fuel tanks and fuel pump or fit valver ones? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

If you've got a valver tank it will bolt straight on jay, those its down to you on where you want the pump located, if your keeping the gt pump position you you will need to purchase a pump suitable for engine but if your fitting the valver tank then obviously you'll have pump in the tank. Valver sender will work with gt clocks and auxiliary pump relay if your keeping reserve tank fitted. Personally i would just leave gt tank on, fit a new pump and plumb in a swirl tank.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice. I am happy to keep as much gtt stuff on as possible really if it’s worth it. So basically keep everything and just put the relevant fuel pump in the existing gtt bracket. Where will the swirl pot go and what is it for?

Post Thanks / Like

Help again please, the wiring loom in the boot lid won’t slide through the hole at the top so how do I get it out please? Do I need to cut it? Dash out next which I’m dreading.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure I've ever done the wiring in the boot lid. 🙁

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers Matt, I’m trying to pull the wiring through the back of the car rear quarter and then disconnect from the front footwell but the wiring from the boot lid is stopping me pulling it through. I’m going to take some of the pvc tape off part of the wiring in the boot lid and see if there is any connectors I can disconnect under there.

Post Thanks / Like

i always remove loom from boot lid by removing rear wiper plug outer casing, loom needs to be pulled up boot lid to hinge and withdrawn at hinge.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks pal. I’m not sure what you mean though, the connectors are too big to slide out of the hole in the top corner of the boot lid? If there is no bullet connectors or something to disconnect the boot lid loom I don’t see how it was put in let alone taken out. Mines just getting stuck and the connectors definitely seem too big to fit through.

I have re-read your post now and you are saying to remove the wiper plug connector. Ok I will give that a go and hopefully success. Many thanks.
    Last edited by dickiegtt; 20-10-2020 at 21:36.

Post Thanks / Like

Also what is the best way to remove the interior rear windows (back seats) surround as last time I cracked one of these when doing it at the B pillar. Also the rear pop out window catches?