PDA

View Full Version : civic eg vti VS 306 gti6

5alldaway
01-09-2009, 00:33
hi folks, im ready to fork out for a track car for myself pretty damn soon and i cant decide whether to get the civic vti b16 or the 306 gti6

has anyone had any experiences with these cars to make a good judgement on which would be better?

cheers

raj
01-09-2009, 10:11
all i have is praise for the civic vti b16.:agree:
going by my bros driving style"he loves redlining". the engines are pretty much bullet proof! hes had the car going on 3 yrs now and hasnt had 1 problem with it.

hes dropped it on konis all round,kept the std 15"rims and slapped a set of proxies on them.
also fitted a 4-2-1 manifold, different inlet manifold with fuel rail and a bigger throttle body.

the car sticks to the road and sounds like a super bike once the vtec kicks in and away you go. you can buy vtec controllers too:agree: but my bro has opted against this saying he likes the way the vtec kicks in further up the rev range.

if anything, the vti is a little heavy, but a quick strip would sort that:)

its a good sold powerful motor with a shiiiiiiiiiite load of potential, i mean look at what the d16 engine can do and thats an engine below the b16 in std spec terms.

vti over the gti-6 any day.:agree:

Ricardo
01-09-2009, 15:09
Why not a Clio 172?? better than a 306 GTI-6 IMO. Can pick em up for a decent price

Rob@Backyardracing
01-09-2009, 19:18
The civic wont break, the pug prob will.....

One thing i must say tho, (might just be our model of eg ESI) but imo it didnt handle the best when it was all stock and factory when we first collected the car and thrashed the life out of it. My valver would leave the eg on the twisters..

If i was after a track car tho, id go clio route... id rather use my valver and stick a 172 lump in it...

If i was after a nice all round car with a great engine id go EG anyday as they can look miles better than a cliosport or pug..... Crist bet that comment might shoot me down....:ashamed:

raj
01-09-2009, 19:52
If i was after a nice all round car with a great engine id go EG anyday as they can look miles better than a cliosport or pug..... Crist bet that comment might shoot me down....:ashamed:

no shooting coming from me:D :agree:

dangerous dave
01-09-2009, 21:06
I love the gti 6 but I hear more bad that good about them. A mate did a civic rally car and wow, that was sh•t hot.. I'd go Clio 172 or civic, but perhaps break the habit and go Honda if I was to choose.

Ricardo
01-09-2009, 21:14
The Clio and Pug out the box are a great introductory car to trackdays, i would imagine, no disrespect to the Civic that it would need modifying to make it trackworthy i.e sports suspension.

The Clio IMO was made for the good ol B road run out and trackday hence RenaultSport in the similar vein with the Pug. Both companies have plenty of history and heritage in motorsport.

Not that i'm discounting the Civic, i actually like the car, the shape, it's won many a heart more so since the Backyardigans worked their magic. Apply even a percentage of their engine work along with stripped out interior, coilovers, 888 tyres, cage and i bet it would embarrass many a car out on track.

But do we know what budget this chap has to spend on a car for the track?

Could you purchase a Civic, make it trackworthy for the same price as a 172 or 306GTi-6 as to me the french made sure most if not all the boxes were ticked when it came to a track car. The Civic was for different reasons :)

5alldaway
01-09-2009, 23:04
thanks for the replies guys, got my heart set on a eg but i keep seeing 205/306 coming up locally for peanuts! probly would of bagged a 205 tonight if the chap would turn his phone on lol!

but yeh the only eg i can find are the pretty pretty ones for 2500 and i aint paying that sort of money! a 172 is a good choice also, just gotta sit here and see what comes up

oh and my budget at the min is 1500ish for a standard ish car, all im going to do is strip it and do some light track days, mods can follow later on

Ricardo
01-09-2009, 23:13
There's a 306 Rallye on Pistonheads for £1750, same engine and 6 speed box, suspension and brakes as the GTI but lighter due to lower spec, ideal for what you want it for

5alldaway
01-09-2009, 23:16
There's a 306 Rallye on Pistonheads for £1750, same engine and 6 speed box, suspension and brakes as the GTI but lighter due to lower spec, ideal for what you want it for

rallyes would be ideal, cheers for the tip off!:agree:

5alldaway
05-09-2009, 10:45
update!!!!!

picked up a red 205 gti 1.6 yesterday-

cheap
local
body is in good condition
sought after non sunroof body
309 rear beam
engine has about had it, my mates 1.1 206 kept up!

and i have enough for a gti6 engine conversion, good times :D