PDA

View Full Version : gordini head & cam

Sparkie
31-08-2009, 20:15
selling for a friend of mine....

Here I have a Gordini turbo cylinder head and a camshaft for sale. I bought a complete engine to rebuild and put in my mk1 R5 but a change of plans means I no longer need it; all it needs is a good clean. £150

I can send the head and cam for £15 – Royal Mail.

The rest of the Gordini turbo engine is in bit, so if any other parts are needed please call or text me. 07790059812

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y269/sparkie_bran/P8280253.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y269/sparkie_bran/P8280252.jpg

rs250nut
01-09-2009, 17:19
Looks a better head than the o.e gtt head, good power gains to be had going efi?

Big Jim
11-05-2010, 00:38
I've not actually seen one before....

The only advantage you're going to get there are larger valves and less heat in the inlet charge. That horrible open combustion chamber really is throwing away a lot of what might be gained. Very disappointing.

On the other hand, a promising place to start?

Ok, better port shapes then:o

Os8472
11-05-2010, 07:39
I've not actually seen one before....

The only advantage you're going to get there are larger valves and less heat in the inlet charge. That horrible open combustion chamber really is throwing away a lot of what might be gained. Very disappointing.

On the other hand, a promising place to start?

Ok, better port shapes then:o

You only have to look at what power the turbo and turbo2 make to see its a massively better head than what the GTT has, I do a gordini conversion on my GTT if I had the money, then again I will be doing an N/A gordini engine for my borthers car

Big Jim
12-05-2010, 11:04
You only have to look at what power the turbo and turbo2 make to see its a massively better head than what the GTT has, I do a gordini conversion on my GTT if I had the money, then again I will be doing an N/A gordini engine for my borthers car

Fair enough, perhaps I was a little ott.

Problems with that sort of design are poor burn and det resistance and you can be limited on valve overlap by the valves clashing. Not a problem on a turbo but I've built plenty of NA engines which have been limited by this problem. You have to find the best compromise between valve sizes and timing.

Also don't forget that those cars were on injection and had BIG turbos on them, it wasn't all in the head. The gordini didn't make a lot of power as standard.

Os8472
12-05-2010, 12:06
Fair enough, perhaps I was a little ott.

Problems with that sort of design are poor burn and det resistance and you can be limited on valve overlap by the valves clashing. Not a problem on a turbo but I've built plenty of NA engines which have been limited by this problem. You have to find the best compromise between valve sizes and timing.

Also don't forget that those cars were on injection and had BIG turbos on them, it wasn't all in the head. The gordini didn't make a lot of power as standard.

True but only the turbo and turbo2 had injection, but it was mechcanical injection not electric, and turbo wise we use equally large turbos on GTT's and not get as much power, yeah sure the design could be better but we are talking about a head that was built way back in the late 70's early 80's.

Yeah as standard the gordini didn't make much power but it had the potenial to make loads, just get rid of that carb dumping petrol into the turbo :eek: and get on with winding the boost up

Big Jim
13-05-2010, 09:28
Of course you're right, the head is a better design than the Gtt head, I'm just saying it isn't as good as its reputation. It's a very old school design for a "high performance" head. The sort of thing that would have been state of the art in 1950.

Wouldn't take too much work to make it better though.

Also, don't think mechanical injection is any bar to making big power.

Sparkie
13-05-2010, 12:29
just get rid of that carb dumping petrol into the turbo :eek: and get on with winding the boost up

some say that it cools the inlet charge down....

Os8472
13-05-2010, 19:10
some say that it cools the inlet charge down....

I've heard that but dumping petrol into the front of a nice hot turbo, no thanks I'll stick to putting in after lol

Os8472
13-05-2010, 19:10
Anyway back on topic, is the head and cam still for sale?

Sparkie
13-05-2010, 22:55
no idea. lol was along time ago.