PDA

View Full Version : Mocal oil cooler

Danboi2
24-09-2008, 14:44
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Just woundered whos running these and was the any difference after it was fitted

Adam L
24-09-2008, 18:20
Of course they'll make a difference. I fitted one to my Pulsar after my oil temps were going up to 130 degrees on the motorway, although that was down to a perished water pipe leaking coolant out of the stock oil cooler. Even so, it still dropped the oil temps by about 20 degrees when it was opened up.

Os8472
24-09-2008, 19:14
I've got 1 and the only complaint I have about em is the fact that the base plate fouls the front engine mount meaning the mount needs to be cut to make it fit

Danboi2
24-09-2008, 19:22

I've got 1 and the only complaint I have about em is the fact that the base plate fouls the front engine mount meaning the mount needs to be cut to make it fit

whats the oil temps like when in traffic?

raj
24-09-2008, 19:29
ive got one and i havent got any clearence issues with the front engine mount.!

does your base plate have a stat in it.?

id also like to ask.... what problems could i encounter as my mocal cooler kit does Not have a stat,theres no hole for one either.:confused:

raj
24-09-2008, 19:30

Tiny Tim
24-09-2008, 19:32
You really need a stat Raj. On the OE set-up, the temperature of the water regulates the temp of the oil as they run side-by-side.

Without a 'stat, you're running the risk of the oil not reaching its optimum temp. You can get in-line stats that will sort you out.

raj
24-09-2008, 19:39
You really need a stat Raj. On the OE set-up, the temperature of the water regulates the temp of the oil as they run side-by-side.

Without a 'stat, you're running the risk of the oil not reaching its optimum temp. You can get in-line stats that will sort you out.

where could i get an inline stat from.? i was about to take the oil cooler lines to pirtek tomorrow to get them shortened but think id like to buy the inline stat first so they can fix in some conections for it while im there.

Duncs
24-09-2008, 19:41
www.thinkauto.com (http://www.thinkauto.com)

:)

Os8472
24-09-2008, 20:06
ive got one and i havent got any clearence issues with the front engine mount.!

does your base plate have a stat in it.?

id also like to ask.... what problems could i encounter as my mocal cooler kit does Not have a stat,theres no hole for one either.:confused:

Yeah mine has the stat in the base plate and its the stat that fouls the mount, you defo need 1, mocal should do an inline 1

Danboi2
24-09-2008, 20:29

which bit is the bace plate is that the bit on the end of the hoses?

raj
24-09-2008, 21:09
the base plates with stat are stupidly expensive direct from mocal.!!! around £70 for just that piece! ehemcoughfeckoffcough.:sad2:

does anyone know if any other base plates are the same fitment as the gtt? ford rs turbos look the same?

as ive already got the oil filter mounting bolt,im just after the bare base plate, so im assuming this would work out ok - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OIL-COOLER-PLATE-THERMOSTAT-106-205-306-GTI-XSI-MI16_W0QQitemZ150296406479QQihZ005QQcategoryZ10406 QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OIL-COOLER-PLATE-THERMOSTAT-106-205-306-GTI-XSI-MI16_W0QQitemZ150296406479QQihZ005QQcategoryZ10406 QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem)

Danboi2
25-09-2008, 12:31

Thats what ive got on the end of my hoses

TNT!hammond
25-09-2008, 22:43
i have noticed the previous owner of my current 5 didnt fit the thermostatic plate , to day i ordered and in line one from demon tweeks .

The only concern i have is if the stat is closed in the oil line where will the oil go? The standard plate has a very very small hole (id say 3-4mm max) in it which crosses through to the other side of the plate in the event of a blockage by the looks of it.

Is this enough of a hole for the oil to pass through untill the oil gets up to temp and goes round the cooler or will this cause oil starvation/increased pressure in the system .

with thanks anyone in the know

ross

car.crash
25-09-2008, 22:52
i run a inline stat, the oil bypasses the cooler and goes back into the engine when cold. once oil hits 80 degrees or so, the stat opens and allows the cooling to begin.

TNT!hammond
25-09-2008, 23:04
car crash do you run the standard sandwich plate then?

if you do your saying the oil bypasses and just goes through the tiny hole in the bottom of the plate instead of out the top ,round throught the cooler and back down the other side of the plate?

im just worried the with the stat being inline and closed the oil has nowhere to go ,if your saying the little hole in the botom of the sandwich plate is there for this then ill put the inline stat in

car.crash
25-09-2008, 23:14
first of all look at this picture.
http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/OIL-SYSTEMS-Oil-Thermostats/c162_166/p3481/OIL-THERMOSTAT-1/2-PUSH-ON/product_info.html

your stat should have 4 pipes, the oil comes from the engine into the top left union onto the stat. if the stat is closed it then comes out of the bottom left union back into the engine.

once the stat is open the oil goes striaght through the stat into the cooler out of the top right union and back into the bottom right union then back into your engine.

TNT!hammond
25-09-2008, 23:21
sweet im on the same level as you now , i dont have the part here at the moment it arrives tommorow . As you say the oil is mearly diverted round in the stat its self th eflow is not disrupted in any way.

i hadnt seen the part as i say i thought it was a 2 connection inline stat that when shut allowed no flow of oil.

thanks very much car crash

ross

car.crash
25-09-2008, 23:23
your welcome i have had no problems other than the unions leaking, but once you seal them they are spot on. my advice is get decent hos eclips and not ****ty market jubilees.

TNT!hammond
25-09-2008, 23:30
sounds fair deal . ill try to get proper ones tommorow if the stat turns up

raj
26-09-2008, 00:13
crash, can you post up some pics of your inline stat in situ.?
i think im going to have to get that stat from merlins so would like a few pics to follow when i come to fitting it.
i pretty useless at understanding written intructions:rolleyes:

tnt, did you buy the stat from merlins or some other place.?

TNT!hammond
26-09-2008, 07:50
i got it from demon tweeks raj as i wanted it asap and they had 10 in stock.

Probably the most expensive place to buy from but if your in a hurry they usualy get it to you

raj
26-09-2008, 13:56
can you post up some pics when youve fitted the stat mate?

raj
30-09-2008, 11:02
just received my mocal OT/1 oilstat.

could someone tell me out of the 2 pipes that come off the oil filter housing..which one sends oil to the OE oil cooler.?
would i be right in thinking,looking from the front of the engine that flow TO the oil cooler is the left pipe.?