PDA

View Full Version : Oil temperature problem

Jimmy_GTT
28-08-2009, 07:25
Hi,

I have a Mocal oil cooler with thermostatic sandich plate fitted on my GTT. As I remember I have a 13 line cooler. And an oil temperature gauge the sensor fitted in the sump.
Since I have the Mocal kit installed my oil temperature hardly goes over 60-70 degrees.
If I'm right a little amount of oil is always circulating in the cooler even if the termostat is closed? And after it opens all the oil will go trough the cooler.
I'd like to have the oil temp around 80-90 degrees.

What could be the solution? Higher temp termostat?
Or cover a part of the cooler?
Or maybe the temp sensor is not its best place?

Thanks in advance!

IANMM
28-08-2009, 08:59
covering part of the cooler would be the cheaper option....try that first

jantheeven
28-08-2009, 11:19
Location of oil temp sensor is fine... mine is also located in the sump. It's the best place to measure the oil temp. By the way... I run semi-synthetic oil, without a separate cooler... and it gets up to 100 degrees :D

Jimmy_GTT
28-08-2009, 12:01
Yes, first I'll try to cover at least half of the cooler.

I'm also running on Mobil S 10W-40 semi synth.

Where in the sump have you placed the sensor?

car.crash
28-08-2009, 12:31
Check your gauge is accurate first.

philr5t
28-08-2009, 12:37
check with the company you bought the cooler from as i know when i bought mine i could choose what degree thermostat i wanted you may have a low degree stat in there mate

Jimmy_GTT
28-08-2009, 14:04
check with the company you bought the cooler from as i know when i bought mine i could choose what degree thermostat i wanted you may have a low degree stat in there mate

They told me there is an 80 degree stat in it.

Jimmy_GTT
28-08-2009, 14:09
Check your gauge is accurate first.

The gauge seems to be OK. Because when it displays 60 degrees my idle oil pressure is still 2 bar.
Before fitting this cooler kit I had 1 bar @idle after warming up the engine. But by that time I haven't had the oil temp gauge. :(

jantheeven
28-08-2009, 16:03
Yes, first I'll try to cover at least half of the cooler.

I'm also running on Mobil S 10W-40 semi synth.

Where in the sump have you placed the sensor?

I have the same stuff in my engine...

My sensor is placed at the back of the sump

car.crash
28-08-2009, 18:56
The gauge seems to be OK. Because when it displays 60 degrees my idle oil pressure is still 2 bar.
Before fitting this cooler kit I had 1 bar @idle after warming up the engine. But by that time I haven't had the oil temp gauge. :(

thats not a acurate test. put the sensor in boiling water with a thermometer and check the gauge is at the same temp as the thermometer.

Jimmy_GTT
28-08-2009, 20:52
I have the same stuff in my engine...

My sensor is placed at the back of the sump

Same place as mine.
Do you also use an Equus gauge? ;)

Jimmy_GTT
28-08-2009, 21:06
thats not a acurate test. put the sensor in boiling water with a thermometer and check the gauge is at the same temp as the thermometer.

Yes, you are right. But I really do not want to get the sensor out of the sump. :(

What I have noticed is since I have this Mocal set fitted my oil pressure at idle is about 1 bar greater than before (with warm engine). So that is why I think what the oil gauge shows could be right.

car.crash
28-08-2009, 21:19
so what temp was your gauge reading before you fitted the 13 row cooler?

Jimmy_GTT
28-08-2009, 21:24
so what temp was your gauge reading before you fitted the 13 row cooler?

I haven't had the gauge fitted by that time.

I've bought the gauge because of the increased oil pressure at idle. And I have suspected an overcooling problem.

car.crash
28-08-2009, 21:27
ok so no before and after to compare then. is the sender submerged in the oil, low in the sump or high up out of the oil pool?

Jimmy_GTT
28-08-2009, 21:44
ok so no before and after to compare then. is the sender submerged in the oil, low in the sump or high up out of the oil pool?

I really hope it is under oil. It is under the mole. (I do not know the english name of that wave breaker in the sump)
When sump was out it was submerged in 1l oil in the sump.

jantheeven
29-08-2009, 11:46
Same place as mine.
Do you also use an Equus gauge? ;)

No Nordskog... ;)

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g88/jantheeven/25102008.jpg

Jimmy_GTT
07-12-2009, 13:16
I have tested my sensor and the oil temp readings are fine.

I have talked to a guy who has fitted such mocal coolers and he has the same observation. Eventhough the sandwichplate is sold with an 80 degree stat in it it opens around 60-65 degrees.
So I have to find a solution to get my oil a bit warmer.
I'm thinking on such a solution like the F7R engines have.

Any advice is welcome. ;)