PDA

View Full Version : Legality of fuel pump in boot

boostjunky
27-08-2009, 13:11
What are the rules/regs around mounting a fuel pump in the boot of a 5? I've seen it done with a number of other cars but that doesn't neccesarily mean it's legal :)

Duncan Grier
27-08-2009, 16:38
I suspect from a legal point of view the terminals need to be sleeved (protected) and all fuel lines / connection in good safe order away from any trouble. Oh and secure mounting.

Have a swirl pot in the boot of the vx and inline pump and other than making it all safe (you don't mess about with fuel) nobody cares :)

MOT fine, even the police asked what it was showed them explained why I have it and could not care less. Friendly chat at driver training day and rake of police having training also and got talking.

Scoff may know a bit more doing a few crazy conversions

DG

olidaviesuk
27-08-2009, 17:05
If your racing, rallying, sprinting, then anything to do with fuel has to be behind a separate metal/fireproof partition to the drivers compartment...

Personally I wouldn't want anything to do with fuel in the same area as me, interior in the car or not...

boostjunky
27-08-2009, 20:55
I'm not reallyworried about it from a safety point of view, I mean the original fuel lines in the 5 are only covered by a flimsy piece of plastic below the rear bench.

I did some research but couldn't find anything on MOT rules.

Scoff
27-08-2009, 21:08
I'm not reallyworried about it from a safety point of view, I mean the original fuel lines in the 5 are only covered by a flimsy piece of plastic below the rear bench.

I did some research but couldn't find anything on MOT rules.

It won't stop you passing an mot.

boostjunky
27-08-2009, 21:24
Good news, thanks.

Ashy
27-08-2009, 22:05
I'm not reallyworried about it from a safety point of view,

You would be if you'd been in my old raider when it went up!! If that fuel had been in the car I wouldnt of had time to get out!!!

Don't take risks with petrol!