PDA

View Full Version : driveshaft

tom t
26-08-2009, 16:37
baiscally i went over a speed bump yesterday slowley aswell.

and after that i have now got a clonking noise. i havent investigated it yet. but it doesnt do it at idle and its not constant. so im thinking it could be the driveshaft.

how could i tell if it is and how to tell if its buggered? thanks :agree:

bloody speed bumps :mad:

Dave Reed
26-08-2009, 17:33
Could of possibly knocked a rubber of the exhaust???

RICHIE
26-08-2009, 17:41
i would go with what dave says grab the back box or side and give it some movement see if it knocks

tom t
26-08-2009, 20:57
i had replaced the drive shaft nut the day before. as i had a nut which came with either the new bottom ball joints i put on or the new wheel bearing cant remember which one lol.

and i had a couple of new nuts from renault so i replaced that nut with the genuine nut, but i hadnt quite done it up enough, and it was the wheel knocking :ashamed: is all tight now.

cheers for the advice though guys.

ive still got another noise i need to investigat i cant quite describe it as i need to listen again its been there for a while.

would the wishbone or arb bushes make noises if they where perished? or im thinking it could be the steering colum uj as there about the only things i havent replaced lol.

cheers :agree:

tom t
01-09-2009, 13:25
my car has deceloped the knock or another knock again.

and im thinking its definatley the driveshaft this time. its making the steering wheel wobble to any help with how to tell if me driveshaft is knackered would be great.

as need to stop the missus moaning about me having to use her car lol

Kris M
01-09-2009, 18:54
jack the wheel up, turn the steering full lock then spin the wheel, you should feel / hear a knock if the shaFt is knackered IIRC