PDA

View Full Version : f type engine water pumps

Schakal
24-08-2009, 23:08
there is a 2-3mm diameter hole on the water pump body looking from the top .
is this a bearing that needs lubricating or shall i leave it well alone ??

the reason i am asking is i seem to have a problem possibly involving the water pump .
started at nat day ,with the water temps not going down even though the
fan kicked in and worked where it should .
since than i changed my aux belt which has been on there for the last 15k miles .
everything has been fine since that untill i gave it some boot the other day , the temps
raised over 3rd line but did not drop back even with heaters on .

that was 3 days ago since ,than i have been driving hard with temps
going no higher than between 2nd and 3rd lines :scratch:

Kris M
24-08-2009, 23:10
iffy thermostat ????

Scoff
24-08-2009, 23:11
more likely just an air lock that has since cleared ? no, you don't need to put oil down that hole.

Schakal
24-08-2009, 23:25
iffy thermostat ????

cant be , i have a second/more accurate water temp sensor
placed between the thermostat and radiator , which tells me
the stat succesfully opens .

scoff , its been fine since the nat day . any ideas how the air could get in to the
system ? a leak somewhere letting air in may be ?
also noticed a 2mm ish lip on the edge of the water pump pulley like
you get on the brake discs .

Scoff
24-08-2009, 23:43
air lock - hard to know how it happened, but they do all the same.

lip on pump pulley - sounds propper worn, I think depending on where you buy a new pump from they don't always come with a new pulley. I put my pulley in the lathe and cut a new surface because the new pump did not come with a pulley.

Schakal
25-08-2009, 00:01
air lock - hard to know how it happened, but they do all the same.

lip on pump pulley - sounds propper worn, I think depending on where you buy a new pump from they don't always come with a new pulley. I put my pulley in the lathe and cut a new surface because the new pump did not come with a pulley.

so you reckon the pulley could have something to do with pump slipping ?
i got a few pulleys hanging about here ,i will stick the best one on :agree:

while its on topic , do you think its a good idea to get a slightly smaller diameter
(i.e :20% reduction ) water pump pulley made on a cnc to get faster water flow
for them dreaded track days ??

Scoff
25-08-2009, 00:11
I don't really know about the effects of smaller pullies because I havn't tried any of that, but I tend to think that renault will have got it about right and that if the motor over heats on track then it's more likely that the radiator just wasn't able to keep up.

Schakal
25-08-2009, 00:38
I don't really know about the effects of smaller pullies because I havn't tried any of that, but I tend to think that renault will have got it about right and that if the motor over heats on track then it's more likely that the radiator just wasn't able to keep up.

yeah but reno did not build them to be ragged on the track senseless either .

i got a renault 19 16v radiator which is meant for the engine i got in the car (f7p)
do you know of a larger rad from another reno that might help cover track
day cooling .

Scoff
25-08-2009, 10:01
------
yeah but reno did not build them to be ragged on the track senseless either .
------

you might be suprised at the testing those engines went through. same size pulley is on the 172 and 182 engine, they work fine.

Matt Cole
25-08-2009, 13:35
The 225 lump doesnt have a pulley as such but a roller that is driven via the cam belt.