PDA

View Full Version : Steel Liners

Dave Reed
24-08-2009, 18:12
Anyone no where to get some from? is this the best option or are there alternative's like nickerseal ones?

Cheers

Rob@Backyardracing
24-08-2009, 18:41
On the Porsche front we have currently designed and manufactor over the last few years our own liners (nick plated) to bore out the OE castings that fail (crack in most cases) and press ours in for the 996/box lumps, along with our surport rings. So far with great results (plus a huge saving as customers dont need to fork out for new castings that cost mega). A few of these engines are supercharged and still going well...

Small Plug there drop me a PM if anyone wants a porky rebuild or any other work... :)

As for steel liners on the GT i take it you have damaged one at weekend? did you log your runs by chance? you shouldnt really be breaking them? what sort of NOS did you run at what ign? i find that i cant retard the GT ign enough to inject a good healthy amount of gas (well my cars i cant)..

Dave Reed
24-08-2009, 22:15
On the Porsche front we have currently designed and manufactor over the last few years our own liners (nick plated) to bore out the OE castings that fail (crack in most cases) and press ours in for the 996/box lumps, along with our surport rings. So far with great results (plus a huge saving as customers dont need to fork out for new castings that cost mega). A few of these engines are supercharged and still going well...

Small Plug there drop me a PM if anyone wants a porky rebuild or any other work... :)

As for steel liners on the GT i take it you have damaged one at weekend? did you log your runs by chance? you shouldnt really be breaking them? what sort of NOS did you run at what ign? i find that i cant retard the GT ign enough to inject a good healthy amount of gas (well my cars i cant)..

Na I didn't log anything as I have no means of logging. But I did check the plug and they were a nice brown colour so going on that it shouldn't of been a million miles out :laugh:

well I up'd the fuel pressure on the gas so should of been putting in around 110 bhp of gas. I have yet to strip the engine to see exactly what failed but expecting the worse really. it might just of spat the HG out but i did hear a bang just before :eek:

I run it fully retarded so should be about 6 deg. The NOS guide says 2 degs for every 50 hp.

As for breaking a liner I can only assume that if it has then it could just be a case of too much cyclinder pressure.

Dave Reed
26-08-2009, 11:16
I notice that g@y tech sell them, anyone got any views?? I also believe that mecca car parts do them but again what are they like??

Any help would be great thanks.

although it would appear my post is invisible because only one person has replied so far :D :D :D

Stuart Clark
30-08-2009, 08:49
Hi, i got mine from mecca parts and although after the language barrier i did get good service but they needed loads of honing before i was happy with the piston to bore clearence, you need special piston rings and the liners are hard as nails, i have gone through a few probs and the liners just hone up clean, they seem indestructable:) pricey though

DK DEVELOPMENTS
30-08-2009, 12:35
I can get steel liners and they are machined correctly and are made of EN24T steel they are honed and then plateau honed this is to reduce wear on the rings.

Alot of the steel liners you can buy are not even round and require loads of work....

Scoff
30-08-2009, 12:37
, they seem indestructable:)

I blew a hole through the side of one, kept it for prosperity :D

Alastair
30-08-2009, 16:15
I can get steel liners and they are machined correctly and are made of EN24T steel they are honed and then plateau honed this is to reduce wear on the rings.

Alot of the steel liners you can buy are not even round and require loads of work....

How much? :coffee:

Dave Reed
01-09-2009, 18:44

Thanks for the reply. Sounds good, Are they tried and tested? how much are we looking at?

Cheers

Dave Reed
01-09-2009, 18:46
Hi, i got mine from mecca parts and although after the language barrier i did get good service but they needed loads of honing before i was happy with the piston to bore clearence, you need special piston rings and the liners are hard as nails, i have gone through a few probs and the liners just hone up clean, they seem indestructable:) pricey though

So mecca car part's is an option just not the cheapest, but hey what is :D

thanks for the reply.

DK DEVELOPMENTS
01-09-2009, 19:59
Thanks for the reply. Sounds good, Are they tried and tested? how much are we looking at?

Cheers

Your looking at £500 a set, and these liners are used on a lot of Turbo 2's which are running alot of boost.