PDA

View Full Version : Any of you chaps tried Denso Iridium spark plugs?

Ian S
23-09-2008, 21:04
What did you replace and how did they compare?

Mart
23-09-2008, 21:37
Not the greatest feedback I know, but they were fitted in my heave ho when I bought it. Replaced them not long after for NGK equivalents - Can't say I noticed any difference whatsoever.

Adey aka Ewok
23-09-2008, 21:40
had one burn a tip off in an early 200sx i had, heard a few stories of the tips coming off and scoring the bore, ran ngks in the rest of my jap crap after that and it never happend again so i assumed it was the plug at fault

5teve L
23-09-2008, 22:17
had one burn a tip off in an early 200sx i had, heard a few stories of the tips coming off and scoring the bore, ran ngks in the rest of my jap crap after that and it never happend again so i assumed it was the plug at fault

Same here, a guy done the same with a heavily modded Rover, tip fell off & done the piston.

Mr_Dave
23-09-2008, 22:29
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

I've had a set in my 5 all year! err brilliant I'd say. I've run loads of different plugs over the last 10 years, most seem to foul up.

Must have done 10k miles. No probs at all. Max sustained boost they've seen is prolly 22-23psi. I run 20ish usually.

Took them out the other week just through curiosity and they're all sweet. Can't fault them. Fit and forget ;) Unusual eh?

Miller
23-09-2008, 23:17
I fitted them to my old swift gti from a set of ngk's, i thought the pick up was better and the mpg improved a bit. When i went to change them again all i could get was ngk and it reversed back to way it was. Now Denso is all i use.....also cheap.

Chris:)

Nayls
23-09-2008, 23:29
i run them! no concrete evidence of them being better but they feel better,it's the only plug i buy now :)

Ian S
24-09-2008, 01:20
Thanks for the feedback :)

Which Denso are you chaps using? Part numbers? There seems to be a lot to choose from.

Re the tips falling off; could that have been due the the plug being to hot in the heat range?

The Fiat I just acquired has come with Champion EON2 which are highly rated and people claim a worthwhile improvement over their previous plugs. But Denso Iridium (or maybe NGK Iridium, but it looks like they have a wider tip than Denso) are a thing of their own and maybe a further improvement.

They'll be a different part number for the Fiat and it's also non turbo'd :eek::( at the moment :devil: so if i buy some now, which I may do anyway, I'll be needing colder ones I expect. But then I saw that Denso proffer completely different Iridiums for the blown engines and now don't know what to look for.

Adey aka Ewok
24-09-2008, 07:12
used the recomended ones for the boost that was being run, odd that only one out of 4 failed and never had a problem with anyother brand?

Alex
24-09-2008, 20:27
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

I used them a few year's back in my GTT. I thought I'd give them a try as my local motor factors didn't have any NGK's that I normally use in stock. I used them for the usual 6K including a few Santa Pod run's

I can't say I noticed any difference from the NGK's...:)

Ian S
24-09-2008, 22:36
They're supposed to last for 60,000 miles :) The the ones with the platinum tipped earth electrode at least.

Which NGK's?

Ian S
24-09-2008, 22:40
used the recomended ones for the boost that was being run, odd that only one out of 4 failed and never had a problem with anyother brand?

The tip is laser welded on. So i guess no amount of heat in the combustion chamber could melt that off.

Maybe detonation could 'knock' it off??

As far as I know ordinary plugs don't have a welded on centre electrode. Instead it protrudes from the ceramic, so can't come off.

Did you complain to Denso? What was their response?

Adam L
25-09-2008, 00:04
I used Denso's when they where in my Datsun, then grade 8 NGK's. I noticed no difference between the two, apart from the fact neither solved my spark blow out problem.

Ricardo
25-09-2008, 00:06
I fitted Campus plugs recommended by Scoff, jobs a gooden, the NGK's would foul up

Ian S
25-09-2008, 04:22
My NGK B8EV oiled up or the centre pin just burnt away in only 1000 miles.

My NGK B8EVX were better, started easier, softer as the main thrust came on though and pulled a bit less at full revs and power. No sooting or oiling. Seemed to last OK.

My NGK B9EG just sooted but did pull a little better at full revs and power.

My solid silver centre electrode Nology's seemed to pull well at the mid and full revs and power and seemed like they'd last for ever, though starting was a bit better with the EVX. The Nology's got battered in the last engine 'event'.

I had some very cheap (campus) plugs in there in the mid 1990's when I had near standard boost. They seemed to perform like the Nologys, but didn't last as well.

To me the Spitfire widget helped the torque in a quite good way when pulling at full throttle out of fast bends.

Can't say I noticed any improvement with the Magnecores but they might help suppression with non resistive plugs.

I did notice quite a bit of change between different Renix units. At idle and everywhere else.