PDA

View Full Version : How much pressure is safe without ignition mod?

Jimmy_GTT
20-08-2009, 20:34
I'd like to know your experiences:
Till how much pressure (@ manifold) can the RE209 be used?
(without any mods)

Scoff
20-08-2009, 21:37
Hi Jimmy

it depends a lot on other things too, like compression ratio, fuel quality, turbo efficiency and so on. the actual RE209 works fine with lots of boost - some people have used them at over 30psi, but the ignition-retard stops after about 10psi, so after 10psi of boost there is no change to the ignition timing.

Typically on a standard engine with a suitable turbo, good intercooling and good fuel you will not have to retard ignition until 20-25psi depending on state of tune.

Mart
20-08-2009, 22:10
:agree:

car.crash
20-08-2009, 22:13
so is it worth disconecting the knock sensor at anything above 10 psi?

Mart
20-08-2009, 22:19
No, as that'll continue to work (if det' is present) regardless of boost being run.

It'll only retard the ignition a few degrees or so if it senses knock, and that might not necessarily be enough to 'protect' your engine anyway. It's never a good idea to run your engine on the virtual threshold of detonation...

Jimmy_GTT
21-08-2009, 07:32
Hi Jimmy

it depends a lot on other things too, like compression ratio, fuel quality, turbo efficiency and so on. the actual RE209 works fine with lots of boost - some people have used them at over 30psi, but the ignition-retard stops after about 10psi, so after 10psi of boost there is no change to the ignition timing.

Typically on a standard engine with a suitable turbo, good intercooling and good fuel you will not have to retard ignition until 20-25psi depending on state of tune.

Thanks a lot!

Does anyone knows the ignition table of a RE209/208?
I'm thinking of making an ignition module which uses the standard map and at higher boost retards the ignition a bit... A programmable one.
Sg. like that:
http://www.neo-tech.fr/aei-renix-officiel-et-programmable/aei-programmable/aei-re000

Sparkie
21-08-2009, 11:24
awesome site!

have you seen the vacuum unit repair kit?

http://www.neo-tech.fr/shop/product.php?id_product=12

jantheeven
21-08-2009, 11:30
That French article looks great!

xenon
21-08-2009, 21:39
j'ai refait mon AEI chez cette personne !
c'est un membre du CLUB gt-turbo.org !
travaille superbe !
si cela vous dit , pourquoi pas ne pas organiser une commande groupé pour les refaire chez lui ou recevoir le kit pour le refaire a neuf !!

I remade my AEI at this person!
it is a member of the gt-turbo.org CLUB!
work superb!
if that says to you, why not organize an order grouped to remake them at his place or to receive the kit to remake it has nine!! :agree:

Mart
21-08-2009, 21:44
I remember talking to Phillipe Quillon quite regularly back in the day when he had just finished his prototype version of the aeip. Good to see he's got the final production unit up & running :agree: :cool:

Matt Cole
21-08-2009, 22:35
Very interesting that. shame it doesnt do fueling too!!:D

Jimmy_GTT
24-08-2009, 06:47
awesome site!

have you seen the vacuum unit repair kit?

http://www.neo-tech.fr/shop/product.php?id_product=12

I have already repaired 3 vacuum units as it is described here. They are working fine.