PDA

View Full Version : Low Temp Fan Switch?

Wren5
20-08-2009, 13:20
Hello, Please excuse me for asking what seems to be a relatively stupid question :(.
But how exactly do these low temp fan switches work?

Are they manual switches? or do they replace the current fan switch and trigger the fan to come on at lower engine temperatures?

My R5's fan currently comes on on the second line, and whilst driving the temp seems to be very low, so are there any benefits to these?

Many Thanks - Wren 5

Bigfoot
20-08-2009, 13:25
Low temp fan switch just means the fan cuts in a lot earlier on temperature, and the low temp thermostat will mean the car will run cooler as it will direct the water through the rad earlier on and keep it going through there, which means it wont be running the car at the correct temperature.

Wren5
20-08-2009, 13:27
Does that mean that its best if i keep the current one, so that its running at its natural temperature?

Thanks - Wren 5

Gymnast
20-08-2009, 13:32
I'd keep the std one. Other than cooling the engine, the water temperature keeps the carb body warm so that the fuel atomises better in cold conditions and cools it down when hot. Also, if you have a std rad with the oil cooler in the side, it will keep the oil at optimum temperature ensuring it lubricates engine and turbo at it's full potential :)

Wren5
20-08-2009, 13:34
Top Stuff! - Many Thanks!

This site's worth every penny! :D