PDA

View Full Version : Need to change clutch again, which 1? anyone local to look at mine?

gttjames
20-08-2009, 00:50
Not to long ago fitted a volvo green box clutch from gsf, ran at standardish boost for 1000miles, then boost upto 17psi, and it started to slip straight away at high revs, after abit more driving and its well and truely slipping.

Questions are, should i try another volvo green box clutch, is it uptot the job, im sure iv read here people running pretty big specs using these clutches.

And next question, have i done something wrong with cable/footpefal setup to cause this. There is freeplay in the clutch cable so i think its all good. Is there anyone local ish who could have a look before i fit a new one?

TNT ANDY
20-08-2009, 06:47
Hi James I don't know what a green volvo clutch is, but if it is the uprated one it should not be slipping @ 17psi (if this is an acurate reading, where is this reading taken from?) with your setup. I used to have virtually the same set-up and did not find slippage until 22psi. I would be suspecting:-

- oil / liquid contamination on clutch plate.
- weak springs in clutch
- Thats it.

AS

5teve L
20-08-2009, 07:56
I ran one in my old car before going to a paddle plate, ran up to 21psi manifold fine, you either have oil getting onto the clutch or a dodgy clutch as Andy says, or you drive like a grandma & slip the clutch alot....... :wasntme:

Or possibly been given the wrong clutch..

tobester
20-08-2009, 09:39
I'd agree with previous posts regarding possible contamination, I fitted a valeo unit in my old 5 and it started to slip after a relatively short period(2000 miles ish), it turned out to be the o.e. oil cooler lines, the joint where it turns from metal to rubber had started to drip at higher oil pressure, it happens to be right above the flywheel timing hole on the g/box. :)

Sparkie
20-08-2009, 13:09
it turned out to be the o.e. oil cooler lines, the joint where it turns from metal to rubber had started to drip at higher oil pressure, it happens to be right above the flywheel timing hole on the g/box. :)

i had this happen to me too, back in the day. except it was a constant needle thin spray.

i used to cut up a card board egg box and fit it in the gearbox cut out to stop oil dropping into it. - just the right shape if you can visualise it.

TommyB
20-08-2009, 18:32
I lost my clutch due to oil being spraying on it.

Scoff
20-08-2009, 19:23
Oil in clutch as the guys say, I've had gearbox oil seeping from input shaft seal kill a valeo then a padle plate before I realised what the problem was. Also leaky oil feeds, etc, above the bellhousing window or clutch release is something else to watch out for!

Os8472
20-08-2009, 20:22
I think you need to check for oil damage.............. damn it, the whole club beat me to it lol.

I know it sounds abit dodgy but I've heard a can of coke poured over the clutch can stop the slipping for a short time, just enough to get you home if need be, I've never tried it myself, would love to know if its true

gttjames
20-08-2009, 21:00
Chhers for replies!

Lol no granny slipping going on

the 17psi is being taken from the actuator, allthough my boost gauge just jits the red on standard gauge, and the gauge from the dv (so carbtop?) reads 0.9bar, pressure drop?

To be honest im thinking contamintion to then, il just get on with it soon and get it out and see whats going on, cheers guys

Scoff
20-08-2009, 21:32
DV will come from manifold, and your actuator pipe can come from any number of places, but assume it comes from carb-top or the side of the carb if it is reading more than your manifold pressure.

Sparkie
20-08-2009, 23:46
I know it sounds abit dodgy but I've heard a can of coke poured over the clutch can stop the slipping for a short time, just enough to get you home if need be, I've never tried it myself, would love to know if its true

i've used a tin of carb cleaner on it instead. it worked well - got rid of the contamination....

markey b
21-08-2009, 02:00
i dropped my clutch plate into the tray of drained box oil :cartman: and a parts cleaner did the trick to clean it up, and didn't have any probs with it slipping

mike r5 gtt
21-08-2009, 19:21
I think you need to check for oil damage.............. damn it, the whole club beat me to it lol.

coke works a treat!!:eek: its also brilliant for cleanning up diesel injectors and stuff!!!!worring that we drink it!!:D

James5
21-08-2009, 19:48
coke works a treat!!:eek: its also brilliant for cleanning up diesel injectors and stuff!!!!worring that we drink it!!:D

Lol I watched how clean is your house Today and they were using coke to de-limescale toilets

gttjames
21-08-2009, 19:57
DV will come from manifold, and your actuator pipe can come from any number of places, but assume it comes from carb-top or the side of the carb if it is reading more than your manifold pressure.

So the hose coming off the dv if plumbed into there is manifold reading?

And it was set 17psi, by puting a pump thing on one of the actuator bits and pumping upto see what the actuator was holding.

So its carb top reading im after as this is what the engine see's? And i can get this from puting the boost gauge off one of the outlets on carb top/carb lobster?

coke hey? well it needs changing anyway, might give it ago just to see what happens