PDA

View Full Version : sump removal..?

TBM1397
23-09-2008, 19:25
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

my sump has gone porous..how easy is it to remove/refit the sump and what is involved..?:confused:

James5
23-09-2008, 19:29
Fairly easy to remove pain in the arse to get back on whilst engine is in the car.

10mm bolts all around, undo the flywheel cover 3 x bolts 13mm, remove engine to gearbox steady bar 16mm bolts, remove oil return pipe, breather pipe rear sump

You will need sump sealant loctite or similair, 10mm socket (long), 13mm spanner , 16mm socket for the gearbox steady bar, flathead screw driver. And plenty of time to get back on.

raj
23-09-2008, 19:29
jack th car up, bend the sunframe lip just infront of the sump/below the engine mount, undo turbo oil return hose,undo breather pipe on the back of the sump,undo sump bolts, wiggle the sump off. it should just clear the bent subframe lip.

ive always done it this way and the sump is easy to remove/refit.

Markey Mark (BD)
23-09-2008, 19:30

my sump has gone porous..how easy is it to remove/refit the sump and what is involved..?:confused:

Pretty easy top remove the sump mate, stick the car on axle stands remove the stabiliser bar and the flywheel cover. Then remove the oil return pipe and wiring to the switch's then undo the sump bolts and oull the sump off. Might take you about half hour to get it off.

TBM1397
23-09-2008, 20:13

cheers for speedy replies folks.. job for the weekend then...;)

SPENCER
24-09-2008, 10:56

Bit of a fiddly job and even with bending the subframe on mine it was fouling up. but just a few pointers to add what the others have said.

I removed the front bumper and grill (5-10 min job) to be able to access the engine mounts and undo them.

If you have access to an engine hoist it just needs lifting at the front only about 2 inches.

I don't have a hoist so had to lift it on each side with a jack (and a piece of wood as a lever :ashamed: ) just enough to pack a piece of wood between the engine mount on the car and block to give me the clearance

It made it so much easier and meant when i was re fitting it I wasn't rubbing the fresh sealant off all over the place while struggling to get the angle to fit it back in! and it did literally just slot back in with ease.

Not a nice job though, car was on axle stands...laying underneath with all the crap going in your face :laugh:

once you know how though it aint hard...just dirty :p

TBM1397
24-09-2008, 11:00

good news is that car is sitting with no bumper on it and have access to whole front of engine as im in the proccess of replacing a lot of oil and water pipework..:)

SPENCER
24-09-2008, 11:06

nice one, honestly it will make it so much easier :)