PDA

View Full Version : Fan issues

mikey_r5gtt
18-08-2009, 13:52
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Just noticed that my fan is not always gicking in. I've just ordered a low temp thermostat, but even when the engine is HOT it doesn't kick in correctly, I can hear the fan trying to kick in and the other day when the engine was off the rad fan kept kicking in for a couple of seconds.

I'm guessing it's electrical but where do I start?

Gymnast
18-08-2009, 15:03
Definitely sounds electrical. Personally I wouldn't bother with a low temp fan switch, especially if you are running a standard rad (with the oil cooler on the side). If the oil is too cool it's not up to full lubricating potential, possibly increasing the risk of blowing turbo, etc.

Anyway, things to check are:

Bridge the wires on the rad fan switch (on alternator side of the rad). Take the connector off and connect the two pins with some wire, the rad fan should come on even with the engine off. If it does, try replacing the rad fan switch.

If that doesn't work, and you hear the relay clicking, check the power for the rad (thin black connector) that goes to the centre of the rad fan.

If you don't even hear a click try replacing the relay.

mikey_r5gtt
18-08-2009, 18:33
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Cheers mate that's just what i'm after. I'll give it a crack tonight

mikey_r5gtt
18-08-2009, 20:27
Just to confirm, I've shorted the two connectors on the rad fan switch, the fan comes on (with engine off). I can hear the relay clicking in. So is that a new rad fan switch then?

The origional fault only seemed to occur every now and then, so perhaps me putting the connectors on again (correctly) might have solved it?

Gymnast
18-08-2009, 20:30
Yes, either there was a loose connection or the switch was buggered. As it seemed to be an intermittent fault it would point to a loose connection, most likely on the switch (but also possibly the power connector or relay)

I would say, put it all back on, make sure it's a good connection, get the engine up to temp and wait for the fan.

If it doesn't kick in by the time you hit the 3rd temp mark on the gauge, pop the connector off bridge the connectors, get the temp down, then engine off, then fit a new switch :agree: