PDA

View Full Version : water temp

Maka
17-08-2009, 22:18
I noticed after thrashing round mallory at the weekend with you bunch of crazy nutters, after 3 laps my temp was up to the third bar with the fan on.
i bled the rad several times but it still did it.
the car didnt overheat, but what alarmed me is how hot the water got compared to rockingham two years ago at ND.

did anyone elses R5 run hot on full thrash for a few laps? or do i have a coolant issue.

If so is there any benefits to locating the rad in the back of the car, rather than the front?
Or is that not such a good idea for an R5?

Schakal
17-08-2009, 22:29
not an r5 but my r9 16v got really hot (4th line on the temp gauge )
as if there were no cooling action at all .i tried to do a few sow laps
with the heaters on full driving at 3k rpm but temps kept rising .

much later in the day i found out the alternator adjustment bracket bolts
gone loose causing alternator pulley to move about in return making the
belt slip on both alternator and water pump :crap:

3rd line sounds all right while its being constantly ragged imo .
its all good as long as the temps go down on a cooling lap :agree:

Mart
17-08-2009, 22:31
3rd line is fine, assuming you mean the one pointing at 11 o' clock and not the start of the dashed area.

Perhaps the rad' has lost a bit of its efficiency (read cr8p in the bottom of the rad'). A flush out & new coolant might improve matters.

As I say though, the 3rd line is still fine anyway.

ranj
17-08-2009, 23:19
My car did exactly the same ... hit the 3rd line (11 o clock) .... at one point i stayed out for about 7 laps ... and it crept just above the 3rd line so i thought i better come in .... :)

I was speaking to a few chaps out there and even on a good run doing a steady 90mph ... temps on most cars seem to be getting near the 3rd line ....

Nick k
17-08-2009, 23:29
Yea and me, both cars got hot on the 11 o clock and above area. Thinking of getting a alloy rad and seperate oil cooler as not mega money nowadays and ment to be alot better with cooling ;)

ranj
17-08-2009, 23:33
I use a alloy rad mate and trust me it dont make that much difference at all ...... its just stronger than the copper cored type imo .... I am thinking of changing rads myself at moment .. i would want a larger rad ... i know pace do them but i have no idea how much .... It seems we get discount of 25% from there so that will help :)

jantheeven
18-08-2009, 09:06
No worries mate... I have a digital water temp gauge (sender inside the cylinder head) and my water temp whilst cruising on the freeway, with these outside temperatures (around 25-30 degrees), is around 90... which is just below the third bar on the standard gauge. When I'm really putting the pedal to the metal, it can rise to 93 degrees, which is on the third bar... but temp never gets past the third bar. So I think your car is fine mate...

Jono
18-08-2009, 09:31
Do the water pumps loose efficency over time, or is it a case of if they dont leak they are fine?
I have a reasonably new rad but mine still runs hot , a couple of fast laps and it was over the 11 O clock third bar, hence me removing the grill at malory which made a huge difference.

Spooky
18-08-2009, 09:45
Have you got the oe radiator ducting in place ?

Alternator belt could be slipping under load maybe ?

****y thermostat ?

Incorrect fuelling ?

Hmm...

Os8472
18-08-2009, 10:02
My temp didn't shift at all, stayed constant all day, all I have is a spal fan, a diesal r5 rad, oil cooler and standard stat, job done:)

Jono
18-08-2009, 10:05
I have a wideband, so i know the fueling is fine.

Stat could be apossible though.....

Jimmy_GTT
18-08-2009, 10:09
My temp didn't shift at all, stayed constant all day, all I have is a spal fan, a diesal r5 rad, oil cooler and standard stat, job done:)

I'm also using diesel rad, oil cooler and spal. Working very well.

What is 'stat' ?

Spooky
18-08-2009, 10:13
'stat is the abbreviated version of thermostat :)

Os8472
18-08-2009, 10:17
If ya rad is in condition, your water pump is flowing fine, the stat isn't stuck and the fan works, I'd say you've got some other underlying problem thats causing a temp rise, maybe a crack or leak somewhere or it could just be your car doesn't get thrashed much, give it more boot from time to time

ranj
18-08-2009, 11:27
Is the diesel rad bigger or thicker than a normal turbo rad ??

Jimmy_GTT
18-08-2009, 11:35
Is the diesel rad bigger or thicker than a normal turbo rad ??

Wider with 8cm

Brigsy
18-08-2009, 11:45
The van went up to the third/11 o'clock mark after several laps, no big deal its only just over half way.

Worry when it goes up to the red...

Maka
18-08-2009, 18:16
cool
it never got into the red
just at 11 o clock where the fan kicks in.
Just woundered if anyone else had the same issue.

i will give the rad a good flush out as im pretty sure the rads only a year and a half old!

Kris M
18-08-2009, 18:31
Yeah the cup went up to the 3rd line after several hard laps, nothing to abnormal :)