PDA

View Full Version : best handling car ?

Schakal
17-08-2009, 20:13
people use different stuff ,different makes on their cars ,
konis ,ledas coilovers ,lowering springs etc etc .

but what in general does make a car handle/corner good in general ??

i am looking for basic guidelines , i.e : "front lower than rear "
"using shocks from a heavier car" "using stiffer springs "
"thicker anti roll bar" "widest the front/rear track the better" etc etc .

i am hoping this to be a pretty long thread and help most of us
in the long run .

DISCUSS :p

BriC
17-08-2009, 20:18
Camber, tyres and stiffness of the suspension / chassis all play a part (amongst other things). It isn't neccesarily a case of one set up is the perfect setup, as differing surfaces will play a part in how the car handles.

Big Jim
17-08-2009, 21:09
People have written their PHD thesis on single aspects of cars dynamic behaviour. It's a pretty huge subject. If you're into maths, there are some good books.

Andrew Cooke
17-08-2009, 21:19
People have written their PHD thesis on single aspects of cars dynamic behaviour. It's a pretty huge subject. If you're into maths, there are some good books.

anybody want to borrow my Milliken and Milliken?

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
17-08-2009, 21:20
The Clio Williams probably gets the nod over the 205 GTi as the best hot hatch in the handling stakes....so the nearer you get to that set up the better???

Ricardo
17-08-2009, 21:46
The Clio Williams probably gets the nod over the 205 GTi as the best hot hatch in the handling stakes....so the nearer you get to that set up the better???

Then how about the Clio 172?

Schakal
17-08-2009, 22:46
anybody want to borrow my Milliken and Milliken?

dibs :):)

bye_all_c_ya
17-08-2009, 22:49
just buy an evo 6 ;) best ive ever had

Andrew Cooke
17-08-2009, 22:53
just buy an evo 6 ;) best ive ever had

oh yeah, they're really fast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdXtIt4xd_Y

rs250nut
17-08-2009, 23:15
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTURKAhFBJA

or the later 1991-1992 Williams FW14B

car.crash
17-08-2009, 23:18
those newer clio 172-182's seem **** hot in the corners and will mince any 5 imo.

rs250nut
17-08-2009, 23:24
those newer clio 172-182's seem **** hot in the corners and will mince any 5 imo.

Even a five with a multi link rear end, magnesium uprights, rose joined bottom arms adjustable top mounts etc etc and three days on the chassis dyno and built on corner weight scales?:)

car.crash
17-08-2009, 23:27
Even a five with a multi link rear end, magnesium uprights, rose joined bottom arms adjustable top mounts etc etc and three days on the chassis dyno and built on corner weight scales?:)

was you out cornering the clios on that setup then at mallory?

SP33DY
17-08-2009, 23:46

My personal preference is the clio trophy vintage.

But I am biased :)

robw
18-08-2009, 01:08
I think your missing the point? There were a number of 5's cornering quickly, each with different set ups and respectively with differing amounts of dosh behind them. What counted on the day was a BALANCED set up. One of my good friends Robw was taking gerrards at fairly similar speeds to me with a very soft set up for the track, (same tyres) but he has a quaife ATB and is an exceptional driver. I am a pussy compared, but have a cup rear beam and massive front ARB with 275lb coilovers and stiff dampers to match. What I thnk you should do is start soft and then invest to a stiffer set up once you can drive what you've already got.

I'll never forget what Andy Cooke said to me, spend and drive with your head, not with your heart.....

:agree::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ricardo
18-08-2009, 18:18

Albeit down to drivers knowledge of trackdays/Mallory Park, mine overtook the Clio cup 172 and the Pug 306GTI-6 no probs. I use those cars as a comparison as i feel they're closest in all departments in what they offer.

Modifications:
Koni yellow suspension with adjustable damping, fronts set up lightly harder than the rear

Apex springs

Budget induction kit

Yokohama Parada Spec 2 tyres

Interior all in place

IMO the 172 out the box is a great car for trackdays, the Koni's IMO give you the chance to stiffen up the dampers a little more, i also upgraded the discs to grooved and changed the pads to DS2500 as apparently the OE don't last long on spirited driving. My next job (apart from gearbox :D) is fitting the braided hoses

Hoolio
19-08-2009, 11:55
My personal preference is the clio trophy vintage.

But I am biased :)

Another Trophy owner? Are you on Cliotrophy.co.uk?

Interestingly the dampers do almost all the work on the T, very soft springs.