PDA

View Full Version : Info for people with Hi-Spec 4pot brakes

Chris Hebden
23-09-2008, 18:13
Hi everyone i have been hunting for a replacement discs for my Hi-Spec 285mm big brake conversion. For reasons i have i didnt want to go to Hi-Spec to get them.

I managed to find the disc they use for a basis which was the EBC D414 which you can see came off these cars and others here http://www.who-sells-it.com/cy/ebc-brakes-group-856/european-brake-disc-and-drum-catalogue-2005-885/page-86.html

You do need some very slight modification to make these fit which were opening the centre hole for the hub to come through the disc by 1mm on each, this cost me £20 from a local machinist (which pained me, but didnt have an option at the time) and the wheel stud holes had to be elongated ever so slightly to line up with the existing holes in the hub, my grandad and I did this with a rounded file, took literally 5mins with a spare hub i had, to line the holes up

You can see from the pics below that the discs that came off had the holes elongated also.

The pads that were used in the initial kit were the Green Stuff DP2143 used on the volvo 120/140/160/240/280 so i just put new ones of those on as i've never had a problem with the green stuff pads.

Here are some pics of the old disc and of the new one fitted

edited to say that i will post prices of what i paid when i find the invoices. With a quick search done now i found them cheaper already! :confused:

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=139&pictureid=1032

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=139&pictureid=1031

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=139&pictureid=1031

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=139&pictureid=1030

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=139&pictureid=1033

James5
23-09-2008, 18:23
That's good news but couldn't you have used Renault 21 TXi discs?:confused:

Chris Hebden
23-09-2008, 19:10
Apparently not mate. I was told on the old RTOC site that they would definately not fit, i couldnt tell you why though as i cant remember. Big thanks to Markey B for the brake disc part number which started the search!

mr bean aka pete
23-09-2008, 22:37
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Thats gr8 mate :) will use that next time i replace my discs :) just a shame i have only just replaced my front brake pads and discs only last week :cry:

markey b
11-01-2010, 19:30
brilliant post..

please can someone point me in the direction of this when i'm on the boards bleating about how much hi-spec want for discs... i've got a very short memory

:laugh:

Chris Hebden
11-01-2010, 19:37
brilliant post..

please can someone point me in the direction of this when i'm on the boards bleating about how much hi-spec want for discs... i've got a very short memory

:laugh:

LOL you gave me the starting basis for this thread :laugh:

markey b
11-01-2010, 19:40
ah, but you see, i'd forgotten that i even knew the part number for the disc :cartman:

rs250nut
11-01-2010, 20:05
How much did you pay for these discs?

Duncan Grier
12-01-2010, 21:15
they are a lot better design front disc chris ;) should have no more cracked holes :)

I have found some EBC discs and cetainly cheaper makes that the vains do not both vent the same way - should draw cold air to the centre of the hub and hot air out the outside of the disc. So you get one working correctly and the other cooling the wrong way.

You may not see any effects from this but recorded the temp diff on track in the vx and is quite a bit more (I do have cooling ducts also, so that may be effecting also)

Glad to see you are still lookingafter my old silver bullet ;)

TBH find the greenstuff pads - DANGEROUS! Yellow a bit better but since trying some proper pads I have never looked back ;)

DG

Chris Hebden
13-01-2010, 08:41
How much did you pay for these discs?

At the time £90something comes to mind for them both, then the £20 to get the centre machined (both discs) i have now found a couple of people to machine the centre out since

Chris Hebden
13-01-2010, 08:43
they are a lot better design front disc chris ;) should have no more cracked holes :)

I have found some EBC discs and cetainly cheaper makes that the vains do not both vent the same way - should draw cold air to the centre of the hub and hot air out the outside of the disc. So you get one working correctly and the other cooling the wrong way.

You may not see any effects from this but recorded the temp diff on track in the vx and is quite a bit more (I do have cooling ducts also, so that may be effecting also)

Glad to see you are still lookingafter my old silver bullet ;)

TBH find the greenstuff pads - DANGEROUS! Yellow a bit better but since trying some proper pads I have never looked back ;)

DG

Yea exactly what i was thinking Mr Grier :confused: :laugh:

Duncan Grier
13-01-2010, 08:48
Always here to help Chris :D lol

I am running a set of them on the front of mine at the moment as I cannot afford the ali belled ap setup :(

In fairness maybe the greenstuff are ok on the 5 - just really really bad on the vx :P

Good price for the discs

Chris Hebden
13-01-2010, 08:51
What were the issues you had mate? I have to admit the only slight niggle i have is the intial bite when cold is a bit poor but apart from that i havent had any problems!

edit: The brake dust from the green stuff was really, really bad!!! It baked onto my alloys so had them stripped and repainted, within a week the exact same happened so had them powder coated!!!

Duncan Grier
13-01-2010, 08:58
Ran on my car (in 18months lol)
Greenstuff
Yellowstuff

These both came with the car and took the greens off as they never really ever stopped the car and made a mess with dust

Mintex 1144
Mintex 1155
SBS Endurance pads
Pagid
next will be cabon lorraine :P now they have a non resin based bad (no more monster noise)

I am now running a lot more aggressive pads and from cold the very 1st stamp...........well does not always work lol but after a few stabs fine. Once warm just brilliant and on track when really hot they just get better :D certainly dont over look decent brake fluid either ;) change mine every year but the vx do seem to need it mor ethan other cars I have had? Never get fade now and thats with sticky tyres also

Chris Hebden
13-01-2010, 09:22
Ran on my car (in 18months lol)
Greenstuff
Yellowstuff

These both came with the car and took the greens off as they never really ever stopped the car and made a mess with dust

Mintex 1144
Mintex 1155
SBS Endurance pads
Pagid
next will be cabon lorraine :P now they have a non resin based bad (no more monster noise)

I am now running a lot more aggressive pads and from cold the very 1st stamp...........well does not always work lol but after a few stabs fine. Once warm just brilliant and on track when really hot they just get better :D certainly dont over look decent brake fluid either ;) change mine every year but the vx do seem to need it mor ethan other cars I have had? Never get fade now and thats with sticky tyres also

How did the Pagid's fair? I would like something that doesnt produce as much dust! The power level of your VXR and the 5 is a bit different and as i havent tracked the car yet the pads are only for road use

Chris Hebden
13-01-2010, 09:53
Pagids are very good - cannot remember which RS rating they were off the top of my head? 14s or 12's

With the more aggressive pads clean wheels regular ;) some of them like to eat your paint :d as Mart :P

But so far found the SBS to be best for dust v's performance and still very good with low wear rates. To give you an idea I get about 2 track days and a good few k on the road the 1144 mintex got me 126 miles on track befroe metal on metal lol

Old age must be getting to you Duncan ;) found this in another thread! :laugh:

LOL there some SHORT spells of pads :laugh:! I'll have a search for SBS's, thanks!

Yea when i first got my wheels stripped and repainted i had washed them twice in the week and a bit and the dust had already started to effect the wheels!

car.crash
13-01-2010, 11:08
So you guys are using 285mm discs off a lancia and not a 21?

Chris Hebden
13-01-2010, 11:12
The 21 discs do not fit so i have heard, i havent tried.

Woznaldo
13-01-2010, 19:58
So you guys are using 285mm discs off a lancia and not a 21?

The top hat heights are different. The TXi discs put the friction face closer to the inside of the spokes of your wheels and wouldn't be sitting in the middle of the caliper.

Alastair
08-02-2010, 20:31
I am looking at replacing my pads and have found Carbone Lorraine do a fitment (part number 4145 for Hi Spec) at the following RRP:

RC8R RC8 RC6E RC6 RC5

4145 149.70 105.11 120.87 95.55 86.00

Problem is which would be best for rally / sprint / track use? I am looking for a better bite from cold than Redstuff Ceramic.

Ferodo DS2500 / 3000 are approx £100 (part number FCP9H for 2500).

Kris M
08-02-2010, 20:36
Al, i have the rc5`s in the cup and find them very good in all situations. I remember Adey had the rc6`s in his 172 last year aswell. He rated them highley aswell :agree:

Adey aka Ewok
08-02-2010, 20:50
rc6 if you want instant stop and can bare the squeeking when crawling in traffic, rc5 are also good but go for the rc6 if you can

Kris M
08-02-2010, 21:08
yeah i noticed them squeaking alot when driving slowly in the pitlane at Brands.....

Alastair
08-02-2010, 22:42
Thanks guys, someone on here has the answer got to love the old RTOC :laugh: so RC6 vs DS2500... You say RC6!;) Ill get saving up at that price!