PDA

View Full Version : changing shells

Shakes
16-08-2009, 03:57
well incase ur intersted how the project is comming along well its slow, evertime i go to the garage where the car is to do some work on it, they seem to rope me into going out and doing a job :mad:
heres some pics anyways hoping to get it finnished by thursday :D
just a damm shame il miss national day :cry:
should make the ring though :cool:

Shakes
16-08-2009, 04:00
more pics..

Shakes
16-08-2009, 04:04
spam..

Shakes
16-08-2009, 04:08
its much easyer to take photos than to work as i found out :cooter:

Shakes
16-08-2009, 04:12

Shakes
19-08-2009, 19:50
ok guys i really need some help now if poss, everythings in ready to go but it wont fire up.
-it turns over but doesnt fire up
-im getting no fuel through ive changed the relay but still nothing.
-theres no spark at all
-theres no ignetion lights on the dash
any ideas?

RICHIE
19-08-2009, 19:54
ok guys i really need some help now if poss, everythings in ready to go but it wont fire up.
-it turns over but doesnt fire up
-im getting no fuel through ive changed the relay but still nothing.
-theres no spark at all
-theres no ignetion lights on the dash
any ideas?

poor earth. have you checked you have 12v at the aei unit when ign live . have you pluged the tdc lead into the correct hole. is the tdc lead a known good one

Shakes
19-08-2009, 20:00
poor earth. have you checked you have 12v at the aei unit when ign live .
no i havnt checked this i will take a look but im sure it should be on there :agree:
yea the tdc lead is good it came from my old shell so i know it works and is plugged in right, thanx for the reply ill check the 12v in a bit;)

Shakes
19-08-2009, 20:26
going up there in a bit anything else i should be checking for please?????

Shakes
20-08-2009, 04:02
looks like ill be using this as a Table for a while longer then :cry:

Nayls
20-08-2009, 10:00
luke..tell me that greddy writing is a photoshop!?!?!? :scared:

BriC
20-08-2009, 10:12
Out of curiosity, why did you reshell?

RE: starting problem.. have you checked the relay next to the AEI?

Hoolio
20-08-2009, 10:32
Am I waaayyy behind by saying that looks like/is Jesus old shell:crap:

Kris M
20-08-2009, 10:51
correct ;)

Brigsy
20-08-2009, 11:12
If theres no ign lights id be checking all the main power feeds to batt/alt etc are connected up properly. Check the earths too.

Shakes
20-08-2009, 14:46
Out of curiosity, why did you reshell?

RE: starting problem.. have you checked the relay next to the AEI?
well i reshelled because the car couldve done with a once over respray, it was out of mot and needed a slight bit of welding doing, admititly it cost about the same to reshell, was more work but the end resault is much better this shell is immaculate:agree:
i have checked/changed that relay buddy.
garry to answere ur question yes i did ps the fmic;)
wires wires everywhere ive spent hours checking them they all seem ok,
im starting to think maybee its something to do with the alarm/immobliser? but it doesnt do anything at all, until i press the immobliser button and then it does turn over, so seems to be working!

Chris Hebden
20-08-2009, 15:52
When it turns over can you hear the fuel pump go?

Big Steve - Raider
20-08-2009, 20:43
well i reshelled because the car couldve done with a once over respray, it was out of mot and needed a slight bit of welding doing, admititly it cost about the same to reshell, was more work but the end resault is much better this shell is immaculate:agree:

Makes you wonder why it was broken in the first place? :scratch:

minty83
20-08-2009, 20:54
Makes you wonder why it was broken in the first place? :scratch:
because thats what nayls does:crap:

Nayls
20-08-2009, 22:36
because thats what nayls does:crap:

LOL im not bob from cgb! nothing against bob at all,but he breaks them!

I have broken two! fooked if im taking a financial loss just to keep you lot happy

Shakes
20-08-2009, 23:04
When it turns over can you hear the fuel pump go?
no m8 the fuel pump doesnt seem to be working, today i changeed the aei, i bought and fitted a new tdc lead, ive checked the earths are in place still nothing, jermaine and winstone kindly poped up to see if they could solve this problem, but were at a bit of a loss!!! its gotta be something silly any other ideas?.
i hope im not being slated for changing the shell, and the comment was about nayles breaking it?
as i think ive made a good decion, once its running ill finnaly have a mint 5, which is what my plan was to start with.
working it out it wouldve actually cost more to do the respray the welding the mot etc on the old shell, i couldnt let the famous 5 die :laugh:

Nick k
20-08-2009, 23:31
no m8 the fuel pump doesnt seem to be working, today i changeed the aei, i bought and fitted a new tdc lead, ive checked the earths are in place still nothing, jermaine and winstone kindly poped up to see if they could solve this problem, but were at a bit of a loss!!! its gotta be something silly any other ideas?.
i hope im not being slated for changing the shell, and the comment was about nayles breaking it?
as i think ive made a good decion, once its running ill finnaly have a mint 5, which is what my plan was to start with.
working it out it wouldve actually cost more to do the respray the welding the mot etc on the old shell, i couldnt let the famous 5 die :laugh:

Is the multiplug behind the ash tray plugged in, supplies power to the car and AEI. Its mounted on the heater box, remove ash tray to access it.

Shakes
20-08-2009, 23:35
ahh thats something i havnt checked, what does it look like buddy?

Nick k
20-08-2009, 23:40
Just a block connector. looks like the engine loom connector near the expansion bottle. :)

Nick k
20-08-2009, 23:44
Just a block connector. looks like the engine loom connector near the expansion bottle. :)

Come to think about it. there's 2 connectors behind there if i recall!! :confused:

Shakes
24-08-2009, 13:48
:brickwall:there all connected buddy, damm annoying any other suggestions please :brickwall:

Chris Hebden
24-08-2009, 15:46
I would run a live straight from the battery to see if the pump span! If it does then you will have to decide to either have a switched (manual) live OR trace the problem to find out where the break is! If it doesnt then a faulty pump could be at fault!

RICHIE
24-08-2009, 18:39
have you got power to the aei unit. yellow and black wire check when ignition is live the plug goes to the bottom of the aei unit

Shakes
25-08-2009, 17:32
thanx for all the help on this one guys, it does have power going to the aei, so now i just give up:cry::cry:
im going to take it to an auto electritions, and will probbaly end up with a big bill.
ive had some work done by sparks in bristol, but they kinda fecked up the instalation of my lc-1, and was a nightmare to get them to put it right. so i wont be using them again!
so please can anyone recommend a electrtion in bristol that wont rip me off?
many thanx ;)

Nayls
25-08-2009, 17:52
power at ignition wires like i asked the other day?
aei relay ok?
tdc lead defo good?

find the alarm & trace the wires,i reckon you have one that you have'nt connected,simple mistake when changing an engine.

RICHIE
25-08-2009, 18:27
aei relay ok?
tdc lead defo good?

find the alarm & trace the wires,i reckon you have one that you have'nt connected,simple mistake when changing an engine.

if it has power to the aei i should have spark it wont be alarm related i wouldnt have though as that would generally cut the power to the aei.

DOES THE KING LEAD SPARK

Shakes
25-08-2009, 18:28
aei relay ok?
tdc lead defo good?

yea m8, has power at ignation
aei relay ive tryed a few diffrent once no joy
fitted a brand spanking new tdc lead
sucks sucks sucks:cry:

Shakes
25-08-2009, 18:29
if it has power to the aei i should have spark it wont be alarm related i wouldnt have though as that would generally cut the power to the aei.

DOES THE KING LEAD SPARK
no spark from the king lead either, richie :cry:

RICHIE
25-08-2009, 18:32
no spark from the king lead either, richie :cry:

plug one of your other leads on see if that carries a spark if you have power at aei unit it should be creating a spark try does the voltage drop off the aei unit when cranking

Shakes
25-08-2009, 18:38
thanx richie, i will give that a try in the morning ;)

RICHIE
25-08-2009, 18:39
thanx richie, i will give that a try in the morning ;)

cant you do it now im full of ideas

Shakes
25-08-2009, 18:47
i cant richie its in the lockup at work, and i cant get in there untill tommorow but thanx buddy
anychance i could get ur number m8, ill give ya a ring when im up there if its ok :agree:

RICHIE
25-08-2009, 18:48
i cant richie its in the lockup at work, and i cant get in there untill tommorow but thanx buddy
anychance i could get ur number m8, ill give ya a ring when im up there if its ok :agree:

pm poppet

Markey Mark (BD)
25-08-2009, 18:56
Also check you have a good earth for the AEI, easily missed.

Shakes
17-09-2009, 04:53
ok im just about to give up on this completly :brickwall: i really am banging my head against a brick wall, ive had a sparkie look at it (well he specialices in alarms and audio), however he has the testing equipment and obviously a decent head for electrics hes checked the power, and hes run the a live to fuel pump thats working, hes checked the aei it has power and a solid earth, hes checked the imobilser and he says theres no problems there, i have power from the fuse box, and all the power to the ignition is fine, ive changed all relays and checked the earths! all the other electrics work lights indecaters central locking wipers horn etc i just have no ign light on dash and it wont start!!! this is really doing my fooking head in, if anyones local to bristol and would be so kind to have a look id really apreciate it and ofc theres some cash in it for you,

IANMM
17-09-2009, 08:51
have you checked you got a live at the starter motor when you turn the key? would not worry about the ign light at first but that could mean your immobilizer is cutting in

Brigsy
17-09-2009, 23:12
This not sorted yet? These engines only need about 4 wires to run.

Does the starter crank? Is there a spark whilst cranking?

Shakes
24-09-2009, 13:06
thanx for all the helpo here, i just dont know enough about electrics, and im trying to do as said but, i must be doing something wrong as i still havnt find the fault, and now my situation has changed with getting a mortgage resently i just cant afford to pay an electricion, so it looks like im going to have to put the 5 up for sale, something i really dont want to do :cry:

Shakes
27-09-2009, 17:26
after fully recharging the battery, it is still only turning over sometimes id say probbaly 7 out of 10 times it does turn over the rest of the time it just sort of clunks. where is the starter motor?, and how do i check its got sufficiant power?
any other ideas please?
thanx:confused:

TrixNFlix
27-09-2009, 18:38
Sounds very similar problem to what I had. Turned out that the exciter wire to the starter motor had melted abit and so the starter wasn't getting full power. Starter is located at the back of the block under the exhaust manifold. :agree: