PDA

View Full Version : RAC Towed me home, not happy.. Electrical Problem

dave j gtt
12-08-2009, 19:12
60 mile into 100mile journey radio stoped woking breifly and windows were weak , relised battery must be dead and alt not working.

Turned everything off and pottered to manchester airport and rang RAC.

RAC guy tested Alternator and battery both broke, did quit a few tests on wiring and said he did not belive it was wiring related.....

Said he could put battery on for £60 and i shoud get home with that, i declined due to not wanting to risk it or pay that much , did not want to have further problems and have to wait around roadside.

Jump started my car to move to suitable place to fix to towing trailor.

Tryed..... to turn my car off and could'nt, ignition wouldnt have any off it , stalled car and now, i have to disconnect battery to get ignition off.

With battery connected Wipers , windows , fans and parked light come on with ignition key in my pocket :(.

All help very much appreciated Dave.

Junglist
12-08-2009, 19:16
60 mile into 100mile journey radio stoped woking breifly and windows were weak , relised battery must be dead and alt not working.

Turned everything off and pottered to manchester airport and rang RAC.

RAC guy tested Alternator and battery both broke, did quit a few tests on wiring and said he did not belive it was wiring related.....

Said he could put battery on for £60 and i shoud get home with that, i declined due to not wanting to risk it or pay that much , did not want to have further problems and have to wait around roadside.

Jump started my car to move to suitable place to fix to towing trailor.

Tryed..... to turn my car off and could'nt, ignition wouldnt have any off it , stalled car and now, i have to disconnect battery to get ignition off.

With battery connected Wipers , windows , fans and parked light come on with ignition key in my pocket :(.

All help very much appreciated Dave.

wow thats sounds messed up ,
when i wash mine my wipers go off for an hour or so afterwards ????

markey b
12-08-2009, 19:16
check the barrell wiring under the panel above ya legs... maybe its shorted out, there should be a red power, 2x yellow ignition (1st and 2nd stage) and an orange starter wire. try unplugging the yellow block (to the left of the column i think) and see if everything is still on, that way you'll eliminate the barrel, as that could be worn as well

dave j gtt
12-08-2009, 20:23
Tryed removing one and both and still cars still runs, if car is off it makes no difference by removing both jackplugs from ignition. the park light ,wipers,windows still work.

My old ignition barrel wouldnt turn atall last month , So i put a spare one on, Then lost the key :sad:.

Out of my old ign barrel i made a tool to hotwire my car and use as the key for 2 days untill i found the key :scared:

Cheers mark

dave j gtt
12-08-2009, 20:25
wow thats sounds messed up ,
when i wash mine my wipers go off for an hour or so afterwards ????

Sorry i have no idea. thats messed up 2 :crap:

Just relised my topic title was a bit backwards a bit like my cars is at the moment.

Any help and advise of were to start, Before i start striping from my best guess and worst nightmare the dashboard, Checked pretty much everythig else and cant think to have read any simliar stuff like this or ...have I :confused:

Nick k
12-08-2009, 21:38
Sounds like some melted wiring somewhere in the loom. For it to carry on running there must be power to the AEI and fuel pump relay!! I would follow the igntion feed wires back into the loom as far as you can until u find something, suspect dash out though :( With the ignition barrel unplugged, check to see if there is 12v on the yellow wires. If so, there's a short somewhere on it :crap:

Kris M
12-08-2009, 21:40
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/album.php?albumid=317&pictureid=5292

:D;)

Hope you get it sorted easier than this mate ( not meant to be horrible) :)

Nick k
12-08-2009, 21:46
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/album.php?albumid=317&pictureid=5292

:D;)

Hope you get it sorted easier than this mate ( not meant to be horrible) :)

Thats me!! lol :D thats reminds me. I need to change your isolator switch wiring around on the cup car Mr M.

Kris M
12-08-2009, 21:48
friday evening at mallory ???? ;)

Nick k
12-08-2009, 21:49
friday evening at mallory ???? ;)

Yea ok :agree:

dave j gtt
12-08-2009, 21:55
Thanks guys ;)

Will go have another good look and then take the dasboard out :mad: :laugh:

dave j gtt
12-08-2009, 21:57
Did you have the same problem ???

Kris M
12-08-2009, 22:01
no, i had to remove the cup car dash due to a toddler having a go a wireing it, by the look of it !

dave j gtt
12-08-2009, 22:51
What did you do, did you replace with a spare or replace were needed ?
or is it possible to make a custum loom that dont Fail.

Mate andy whos had a gtt for years car did sumat very simliar to that inbout 2001, except his dash started to smoke and thinking back think it was yellow wire related,

lucky for him a guy that bolted all his ktec add ons was willin to fix it for him, by taking the dash out. He said it werent pretty...

:eek: I just striped a full 5gtt dash to keep ." bit of this going on :scratch:" :laugh:

:sad: Jinxed my Self by saying, I hope i never have to take the dash out of my car, I went on to say "If i do, i wont be putting it back in........

:laugh: Wonder what happens

Nick k
12-08-2009, 23:11
What did you do, did you replace with a spare or replace were needed ?
or is it possible to make a custum loom that dont Fail.

Mate andy whos had a gtt for years car did sumat very simliar to that inbout 2001, except his dash started to smoke and thinking back think it was yellow wire related,

lucky for him a guy that bolted all his ktec add ons was willin to fix it for him, by taking the dash out. He said it werent pretty...

:eek: I just striped a full 5gtt dash to keep ." bit of this going on :scratch:" :laugh:

:sad: Jinxed my Self by saying, I hope i never have to take the dash out of my car, I went on to say "If i do, i wont be putting it back in........

:laugh: Wonder what happens

The M had a spare loom as the other was completely F~@ked, I would suggest just changing the dash loom to be honest, If it has cremated itself then it might have damaged other wires too. you dont have to take the dash out completely, just move it back and up too get the loom out, less hassle than trying to fix a short in the loom!

Ashy
12-08-2009, 23:12
when the engines running is the alternator charging the battery?

Might be worth checking whats causing the problem before ripping the dash out for no reason :)

dave j gtt
12-08-2009, 23:29
No RAC guy checked as i would, and battery was fail , so was altenator with car running,

Nick k
12-08-2009, 23:38
when the engines running is the alternator charging the battery?

Might be worth checking whats causing the problem before ripping the dash out for no reason :)

The fault points to the dash loom. The main red wire for the electrics from the battery come into the car near the heater motor and into the loom to the ignition switch. The AEI and fuel pump both have power which comes from the yellow wire off the ignition switch (which is completely unplugged) And from what he say its not charging so its damaged the wiring in the loom thats goes out on passengers side kick well to supply +12v to tell the alternator to charge. So the yellow and red must be somehow melted together behind the dash to get this type of fault.

Nick k
12-08-2009, 23:54
The fault points to the dash loom. The main red wire for the electrics from the battery come into the car near the heater motor and into the loom to the ignition switch. The AEI and fuel pump both have power which comes from the yellow wire off the ignition switch (which is completely unplugged) And from what he say its not charging so its damaged the wiring in the loom thats goes out on passengers side kick well to supply +12v to tell the alternator to charge. So the yellow and red must be somehow melted together behind the dash to get this type of fault.

However there may be a short on the alternator sense wire/regulator which has fed back into the dash loom and caused it to get hot and melt. (Sure there is no fuse protection on that wire) Does'nt make sense why its not charging, like its lost half the loom.

dave j gtt
13-08-2009, 00:10
all will be reveled dash is coming out.

markey b
13-08-2009, 09:47
all will be reveled dash is coming out.

once ya get started its not as bad as you'd think! you can get one out in about 45mins!

Ashy
13-08-2009, 12:30

Regardless, I would be checking the alternator is wired up correctly before ripping the dash out. Its could be a knackered alt or loose wire. Would be checking those first but hey ho carry on.

dave j gtt
13-08-2009, 13:20
thanks ashys ... just had dash out and just put it bk in ... :sad: as you say alt wires fudged , earth to bottem of engine form alt was off , fu*king hell RAC guy was usless and made be belive it wernt just a simple wire of somewhere.

o well prob solved i reckon :cool: just finish putin it all back together :sad2: :wasntme:

dave j gtt
13-08-2009, 16:07
my fault was ment to redo some of the wiring a while ago and went to start the other day . didnt think it had failed just wanted peice of mind.

should never of needed towing if rac guy did his job :crap: was a 5 min fix

Ashy
13-08-2009, 17:30
should never of needed towing if rac guy did his job :crap: was a 5 min fix

Not wanting to say I told you so... but....

So much for the red and yellow wires being melted together behind the dash:scratch:!! Bet you wish you'd checked the alt before ripping the dash out... I sometimes wonder if I type in a white font?!? ;)

Mart
13-08-2009, 17:42

So much for the red and yellow wires being melted together behind the dash:scratch:!! Bet you wish you'd checked the alt before ripping the dash out... I sometimes wonder if I type in a white font?!? ;)

You have a loooong way to go before you're at my level of being ignored...

;)

Ashy
13-08-2009, 17:49

;)

Who said that? :smokin:

dave j gtt
14-08-2009, 02:51

This was my cry for help and you deleted my thead for what reason ....

No,Car,No,Cigar,Reading,Up,Intellegent,New,Stuff,C omputer,Glued, Goverment,Are,Rude. Hate knowing my cars not working, better get on fixing da hoe Think its fair to say the help i got will get me there ...

You say pointless i say you could of helped me and you did and the help i got got me there rtoc style had to teach my self a bit and had advise at hand..

also i say glad i've done everything the way i did today , the final product is awsome. sorted a few loose ends ;) :D

dave j gtt
14-08-2009, 02:53
:smokin: Rtoc :cooter:

dave j gtt
14-08-2009, 05:08

;)

You know am a listener Mart ;)

Ashy sorry mate bout the above post, but end of day i wanted to write it and theres no harm in it "freedom of speach and all" ...

Guys on here have taught me ****loads u included, Use my head better and write with more sence, and then working on cars in genreal i have more confiedence, and have took a lot in , in such a short space of time.

Me ripping dash out, was just my egerness, impatients and yeah if told / spelt out clear as day that the RAC man was chatting or could be i would of listened ;)

Cheers for all help Everyone sorted.. Regards Dave j trys his best gtt

Ashy
14-08-2009, 07:26
This was my cry for help and you deleted my thead for what reason ....

No,Car,No,Cigar,Reading,Up,Intellegent,New,Stuff,C omputer,Glued, Goverment,Are,Rude. Hate knowing my cars not working, better get on fixing da hoe Think its fair to say the help i got will get me there ...

You say pointless i say you could of helped me and you did and the help i got got me there rtoc style had to teach my self a bit and had advise at hand..

If that was your cry for help then I'm not sure anyone on here is qualifed to help you mate. As explained on the PM I gave you a reason for moving the thread "it seemed pointless" I haven't deleted it just moved it to a private section of the boards.

The title of the thread was "No,Car,No,Cigar,Reading,Up,Intellegent,New,Stuff,C omputer,Glued, Goverment,Are,Rude."

and the body of text was
"Hate knowing my cars not working, better get on fixing da hoe Think its fair to say the help i got will get me there ... "

Maybe its my fault and I missed something but I really couldn't understand what the point of a thread that was totaly meaninless was?

You'd asked a genuine question i.e. this thread, you had been given the information to enable you to fix the problem. What was the second thread about?

dave j gtt
14-08-2009, 14:35
second thread was about:

life with out your car and how it sucks,

having your privecy invaded everyday is rude,

it explains me and what am doing ;)