PDA

View Full Version : Refitting engine and gearbox

MattChester
11-08-2009, 17:46
Right my engine and box are together and ready to go back in. Iam borrowing an engine crane from work, but was wondering, what was the best way to attach the engine to the crane. As in slings, chain or rope? Also where is the best places to pick the engine up? Also is it best picking it up on an angle to get the gearbox in first?

Just a few questions lol. Any help would be fantastic thankyou

Dave Reed
11-08-2009, 18:02
I normally use 8mm blue nylon rope, you no the stuff that's wrapped around itself.

I normally just hook it up around the rear engine lifting point and the one on the front of the head. Always seems to go well for me. But just make sure it's safe whatever you do!!!!! it's a lot of weight so be careful.....

James5
11-08-2009, 18:04
I always use seatbelt material in the same locations as dave has mentioned never had any probs

MattChester
11-08-2009, 18:17
Thanks alot guys il give that rope a try.

Brigsy
11-08-2009, 18:29
I use an old car seatbelt, go down the scrappy & chop one off.

If using rope get some strong stuff, not like the stuff i used to remove the van engine, it started creaking when the engine was up in the air & my arse did nip :laugh:

MattChester
11-08-2009, 18:39
I use an old car seatbelt, go down the scrappy & chop one off.

If using rope get some strong stuff, not like the stuff i used to remove the van engine, it started creaking when the engine was up in the air & my arse did nip :laugh:

Haha ye i will definetly get some strong stuff :agree: