PDA

View Full Version : Not cooling

Chris Hebden
09-08-2009, 10:03
I changed the water in my system to add antifreeze, i bled the system and the fan kicked in as it should at 84 and cooled down to 79 (which is what its always done fine).

Driving around yesterday the temp was good at 70 degrees on a clear run but when i slowed down the temperature rose straight up to 84 and the fan kicked in but the temp never came down at all! I turned the heater in the car to try and bring the temp down but that didnt work, any ideas?

Seperate note, which way do the coolant pipes go from the heater matrix, i have the topped one going to the expansion and the bottom one to the swirl pot, is this right?

Cheers Chris

http://www.rtoc.org/files/Renault%20Diaolgy/Renault%205/Engine/Cooling%20and%20Heating/Coolant2.jpg - found this but i cant make out which way the pipes are?

http://old.rtoc.org/articles/i/matrix/mtrxpps.jpg

TrixNFlix
09-08-2009, 10:23
Hi chris, I always thought it was degassing to top of matrix, but i doubt it would make any difference as it would still be circlating the water fine. That diagram pic of all the hoses criscrossing over each other is funny. :D is your temp gauge playing up?

RICHIE
09-08-2009, 10:33
thats how mine were mate has the stat dropped down in the hose and have you got the wires on the temp sender the right way round as im sure they work on resistance. are you sure you havnt created an airlock

Chris Hebden
09-08-2009, 10:42
Hi guys, thanks for the replys! I am working from my Spa gauge and never had a problem with it telling the temp, and it corresponds to the dash gauge as well.

Richie it could be possible that an air leak occured, when the temp came up i took the cap off to see what sort of pressure was in the system, there wasnt much at all BUT a slight bubble came through the tank like air.

RICHIE
09-08-2009, 10:44
Hi guys, thanks for the replys! I am working from my Spa gauge and never had a problem with it telling the temp, and it corresponds to the dash gauge as well.

Richie it could be possible that an air leak occured, when the temp came up i took the cap off to see what sort of pressure was in the system, there wasnt much at all BUT a slight bubble came through the tank like air.

i run the spa guage also were are you taking the reading from just out or curiocity.

re bleed the system again and see how it goes from there

Chris Hebden
09-08-2009, 10:53
I am taking my readings from the top hose close to the rad, seemed to work well in the past as you can tell when the stat opens.

Out of curiousity which way does the water circulate around the system?

Chris Hebden
09-08-2009, 12:11
Well, bled the system by lifting the expansion tank as high as i could and there was no air. Any idea why the cooling water wouldnt be circulated around the system?