PDA

View Full Version : LC-1 query

Sparkie
22-09-2008, 22:56
recently my LC-1 has developed a strange problem , where by i got the car idling, and its showing a reading, then suddenly the reading runs all the way up to 22.4 and stays there - why would it do this? if i unhook it, then leave it for a bit and then reconnect it, it works ok for a bit.
this is with the lambda sensor up the exhaust - would this have a bearing on it?

Barr's Irn-Bru
22-09-2008, 23:14
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

recently my LC-1 has developed a strange problem , where by i got the car idling, and its showing a reading, then suddenly the reading runs all the way up to 22.4 and stays there - why would it do this? if i unhook it, then leave it for a bit and then reconnect it, it works ok for a bit.
this is with the lambda sensor up the exhaust - would this have a bearing on it?

7.3 Measuring at the tail-pipe
On non-catalytic converter equipped vehicles it is possible to measure the air-fuel-ratio at the tailpipe.
It is highly recommended to use the optional LM-1 Exhaust Clamp. Without it too much
outside air may enter the exhaust, especially at idle, to prevent correct measurements and
leading to a lean measurement. Sticking the sensor itself into the exhaust pipe can yield
inconsistent results because the sensor will not have outside air available as a reference gas and
its reaction time becomes so slow that the LC-1 will report a sensor timing error. The oxygen
sensor needs to have the back part of the sensor (where the wires enter the sensor) exposed to
outside air.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/support/manual/LC-1_Manual.pdf

Hope this helps :)

Scoff
30-09-2008, 11:59
I don't know what it is about LC-1's. all the ones I came in contact with had issues just like that.

But, it could also be a duff probe, whenever they die on me the go intermittent 1st. I'm on probe no.6, which seems to be holding out since I'm not bolting it into so many cars these days, maybe.

Sparkie
30-09-2008, 12:36
i cut a hole in the exhaust and mounted it about a foot away from the turbo. it was then i notice the heat had caused the plastic outer cable that goes into the sensor to crack, so i could see the wires as they went into the metal part of it. the outer sheath of the cables had also pulled back and the remaining metal inner conductor of the cable had been pushed back on itself, so much so it had formed a slight 'U' shape...this of course was touching the cable next to it.... so i straightened it out and it didnt happen again. so i dunno if it was mounting outside the exhaust or the wires internally.

Ian S
05-10-2008, 14:47
Scoff how much do you pay for new sensors and from where?

Sparkie
05-10-2008, 17:10
i'd be interested to know this too, as we have them on the shelf at GSF Brum.

steer from the rear
05-10-2008, 18:26
http://www.grahamgoode.com/innovate/new/Bosch3737.html :agree:

any one do a better price?

James5
05-10-2008, 18:30
I think Audi / VW sell them. No idea of price though

Tiny Tim
05-10-2008, 18:33
I think Audi / VW sell them. No idea of price though

More than GGR, I got a price direct from Audi a while ago. They're on the Octavia RS iirc.

Scoff
05-10-2008, 19:11
Scoff how much do you pay for new sensors and from where?

about 64 quid from GGR.

Scoff
05-10-2008, 19:13

can you put some on my shelf :confused:

Ian S
05-10-2008, 19:19

How much then? :)

Sparkie
05-10-2008, 19:51
not that competitive, unless i get them on trade/staff....ill recheck tomorrow.