PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox issue..

Rob@Backyardracing
08-08-2009, 13:23
Ok, my gearbox or clutch has developed a new noise, metalic sounding like something catching on the flywheel/clutch but goes once clutch operated. Now my box does sound like an old A series dog box due to a worn pinion bearing but has done for a long time now with no issues and selects gears fine and never jumps out etc, could this noise be pinion related? im struggling to think what?

Has anyone had this noise before? if so what? (nothing can have fallen in and be catching the flywheel/clutch as it goes when pressed)....

My dielemer is do i change the box and pull my car apart before nat day? or check it all over and leave it in the hope it will get me there? (im not on the track)

Second problem, i dont have my engine lift at hand and the only spare box i have i aint a clue of its condition and it leaks.....

The car at this moment drives find pulls fine with no problems at all....

Help... :scratch: :confused:

Rob@Backyardracing
08-08-2009, 14:05
Ok just had another good look over, im pretty sure its clutch related now, the noise wont also occur, in first gear moving i can here it slightly aswell but its not allways there.....

Im starting to think to leave it be and take a risk and just take my time in the car..

royz
08-08-2009, 14:23
could it be the thrust bearing as i helped a lad i know change one in a punto last week. it just sarted to make a scraping sound so he got a clutch kit and when we took the box off found the metal ring that holds the ball bearings in place was wrapped around the shaft. it fell apart in my hand as i tok it out.

Rob@Backyardracing
08-08-2009, 14:31
It could possible be the case the more i look into it (im prob just jumping to conclusions that its my box due to the noises i allready have).. My main concern is do i leave it for now or fix it? and i dont really have time to fix it before ND and i dont want turn up in a none renault turbo or be sat on the M6.... :crap:

royz
08-08-2009, 14:36
is there a inspection cover on the bell hosing that you can look into on these. if there is you could use a inspection mirror to have a look in

Scoff
08-08-2009, 15:27
is it still the old paddle plate in there rob ?

the springs in the friction plate will be rattling - wouldn't worry about it!

Rob@Backyardracing
08-08-2009, 17:11
Yep AP still in there.... prob done about 1k miles now, but at least 500 very hard miles :) cheers my mines at ease with that... ill leave it as it is for now..

Sparkie
09-08-2009, 01:51
i dont want turn up in a none renault turbo or be sat on the M6.... :crap:

ill be there in the k11 micra....

Dave Reed
09-08-2009, 16:24
Rob this sounds like the same thing that happend to me about a month ago now! At first I thought I'd broke an engine mount as I could feel the gear stick floating backwards/forwards when goin on and of the throttle......

So I checked out all the mounts and they were fine! So I swapped the box and all is now good.

Not sue what went in the box, but it was a welded up joby so I think that probably the only reason I made it home. :D

Rob@Backyardracing
09-08-2009, 17:02
Ive been out most of the day having a play and setting up after ive had a change of cam timing and done some hard runs and its got no worse, Box is fine.. :) im good to go for ND... just need to polish it....:smokin:

Dave Reed
09-08-2009, 17:43
good glad it ain't nothing serious. Just me who has all the sh*t luck lol :(

markey b
10-08-2009, 01:21
mine has made a release bearing noise for a while, and its getting worse, if i change gear quickly on the flatshifter the clutch goes really weird and the pedal seems to stick halway up.... it now makes a brushing noise on tickover until you depress the clutch... release bearing?!

royz
10-08-2009, 20:41
rob i forgot to have a listen to it on sat glad it nothing seroius

Rob@Backyardracing
10-08-2009, 22:13
rob i forgot to have a listen to it on sat glad it nothing seroius

:scratch: Did i see you on saturday? im confused

Logg
10-08-2009, 22:22
I've got the same problem too! :cry:

I've changed the release bearing but it's still the same So next thing to change is the box!

Either that or we've all got fecked AP paddle plates! :sad2:

royz
11-08-2009, 19:05
:scratch: Did i see you on saturday? im confused
my mistake it was pete. :)