PDA

View Full Version : new internet isp

djinuk
07-08-2009, 12:25
Around 16 months ago i made a huge mistake of swapping isps to virgin media, after aroudn 7 hours on the phone (quite litrally) i still have **** connection and loose connection around every 25 mins without failure.l They are not interested and there technical boffins dont know ****, nor do they know the english language. I plan to swap , my question is can i simply ring bt, change isp and not even contact virgin as they are pain in the back side. Or should i phone virgin to cancel payments etc and ask them to release the line.

Just for other people dont go with them at all costs they are a bunch of robbing ****s aand the connection speeds dropped below 33kb/s at peak times, (just to add this is adsl) ive heard that there cable lines are better.

Gymnast
07-08-2009, 12:55
Virgin's cable service is much better. For a start you don't get degradation (speed loss) like you do over a copper line. However, and this is a major flaw IMO, they will still throttle your bandwidth at peak times if you are going over a certain level of data transfer. Also, although they have a high download speed, their upload speed is pretty pony (although this may not be important to you). There are plenty of other providers who don't throttle.

What you will need to do is move the phone line from Virgin to BT, speak to BT to see if there are any costs involved. At the same time you can inform Virgin that you are doing this and they will advise you what to do from their point of view.

I am with Be (www.bethere.co.uk (http://www.bethere.co.uk)) and they are pretty good. I still get degradation on the line (i.e. it's supposedly a 24Mbps service and I only get 12-14Mbps ... but that's plenty :)). They are now owned by O2, who have been voted no. 1 ISP on a number of occasions, so these are the two I would recommend. They both have unlimited packages, so they won't reduce your bandwidth if you're a high user :D

Spooky
07-08-2009, 12:57
Im on o2 and there service is even cheaper for o2 customers :agree:

UNICRONICUS
07-08-2009, 16:27
I would have gone with Be given the choice, but unfortunately they don't provide any services down my neck of the woods :(. Instead I opted for Sky broadband (the BT wholesale version) which in fairness is pretty good before the peak time of 5pm to midnight, then it just goes to $hit! High pings, download speeds of up to 50KB/s etc... :disagree: But since every ISP here is BT wholesale (as they own the exchange) I think no matter who I'm with the speeds will still be pretty shoddy. Fibre is the way forward if you can get it, but also remember the old saying of, "You pay for what you get".