PDA

View Full Version : gearbox doesnt want to go to ND...

Mr 5
22-09-2008, 20:02
as above :cry:

went out yesterday and,to cut a long story short all of a sudden i could smell 'box oil...

pulled over and it was literally pouring out,as engine oil would when the sump plug's removed.

turned out to be the 5th gear cover on the n/s of the box was hanging off!

1 bolt was gone and the other 2 were attached by 1 or 2 threads!

anyway,a manifold stud made a temporary fix,as did a lucozade bottle to fill the box back up via the breather pipe.

is this a common problem?:confused:never ever had this cover off,well, until now obviously,

bit weary of driving aaall the way to Malllory now tho,

im going to take the cover off again this week and clean it up and seal it on and fix with new bolts so what oil should i use and how much?and am i ok to fill it from the breather pipe as this method is easy and clean

chears again folks

raj
22-09-2008, 20:07
never heard of that happening! more than likely the casing bolts wernt tight in the first place, that unless something in the box has caused it to pop off?
check for marks on the inside of the casing.

you want 75w90 gear oil, just get some carplan stuff for around £15 for 5litres.

Rob@Backyardracing
22-09-2008, 20:21
Be careful not to strip them either seem rather soft, std M8 torq setting (25nm) also id use the filler to on the front of box so you get the level correct and not over fill.....:)

Mr 5
22-09-2008, 20:26
tried to get to the filler but cant:confused:

fitted a diesel rad so without removing that cant :(

was totally shocked when i smelled the oil.never heard of that happening,all gears work fine,no whine,no crunching,doesnt jump out of gear,going to check for marks when i take it off for sealing, although all the bolts were clean when i refitted them (no stripped threads etc) and they screwed back in fine? confused.com

Rob@Backyardracing
22-09-2008, 20:34
These a tag sort of thing that sticks out on the inner side of cover that goes in to 5th gear... dont be to rough with the cover as you may bend this or brake off in to box...

Brigsy
22-09-2008, 21:26
Never heard of that happening before, the bolts must have been loose imo...

One of the bolts in my gearbox end cap is threaded thanks to the previous owner, never had any problems though as the other 2 are ok, ill re tap it when i take the engine box out for further mods in winter:)

Mart
22-09-2008, 21:30
When you refit the cover, it might be worth applying a thin bit of Thixo around the lip. That'll also help keep things together if you've got a couple of fecked threads. Failing that, Loctite the bolts in as much as they'll go on/up the thread.