PDA

View Full Version : Prep Work - Alloys!

Wren5
05-08-2009, 22:02
Hello Again!,

I've recently stripped my spare set of 13" speedline wheels for re-furb, and was wondering what's the best substance to remove (what looks like 22 years worth) of stubborn brake dust on the inside of the wheels.

I've tried degreaser, wire brush, etc etc...

I've heard people talk about 'Marine cleaner'? is this any good?

Or does anyone know of anything more effective? - As i want the best possible surface for full refurbing the wheels (inside & out). :D

Thanks - Wren 5

Schakal
05-08-2009, 22:23
paint stripper or sand blasting will get the lot out along with paint and primer :laugh:

Hoolio
05-08-2009, 23:10
Wire brush drill attachment, though don't use your knee to steady the wheel, it hurts a lot and makes a mess of the brush.

dangerous dave
05-08-2009, 23:16
i stripped a set of wheels to bare metal, but its not a great idea for a home paintjob.. i found i couldn't get the primer thick enough to hide casting marks etc.. the paint thats on theres a good base to work from, just wet and dry the brake dust off, smooth out scrathes and fill/smooth kerbing marks:cool:

i've done 2 sets of 13" alloys and both turned out pretty good for rattle cans:) my cars wearing them now:smokin:

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/album.php?albumid=150&pictureid=1408

Purple_rob
06-08-2009, 13:39
I know exactly what your talking about as I done mine only weeks ago.

Unfortunately I didn't get all the crud off because it was so stuck on. I tried sanding + wet n' dry also sand blasting.

Sand blasting was good but my medium was too harsh and it was very time consuming.

I tried a wire brush but its behind the spokes thats just impossible to do.

If your after perfection it will probably be sand blasting.

Wren5
06-08-2009, 18:14
Sandblasting it is! ! :D

Thanks everyone for your reply's :D

rs250nut
06-08-2009, 18:21
One word "nitromors" strips paint off quicky and wont damage the surface.