PDA

View Full Version : tight/heavy steering

djinuk
05-08-2009, 08:03
ok my current r5 F reg has pretty light steering, but ive never found it particually posotive. Now my J plate steering is massivly heavy and they are both on 15's, the steering rack did have a knackered gaitor that i have no replaced , could this of caused the problem ?

Andrew Cooke
05-08-2009, 08:16
possible, but not that likely.

These cars are getting on a bit now, is this the gangsta car? Either way I'd suggest removing the uprights and replacing any joints/bushes that don't feel tight. I've just replaced all the joints on my car, but because any one of them was worn, but because none of them were tight. A lot of things that aren't tight lead to a general looseness that can't be identified..

Also strip the tops off the dampers to check the dampers/bearings etc.

Check the driveshafts for play, and the bottom-balljoint-pin hole in the bottom of the upright for wear, they go tapered, they should be a nice parallel fit.

Chances are you'll find a load of worn out stuff.

Schakal
05-08-2009, 08:29
if the gaitor was knackard for some time ,the chances are it allowed
lots of water and crap into the steering rack itself (around the teeth )
which would not help .
i would personally take the rack out and have a better look /replace if necessary .

djinuk
05-08-2009, 08:53
sweet that pretty much answers why one is very tight , and one is very loose :) and yea the loose one is the gangsta car, poor bodywork one.

michael tierney
05-08-2009, 08:54
with the 2 wheels off the ground ect.ect. if its still stiff check the rack is'nt bent internally(as it could be off a crashed car)

djinuk
05-08-2009, 09:12
that sounds a spot on idea, how much are new racks and where is best to get these. It may just be me very used to having such a loose rack (giggle).

Spooky
05-08-2009, 09:21
If you can afford to, replace everything suspension and steering related. You don't need to polybush everything either.

The age of the car and any modifications you do in these areas will take there toll in some form.

I've almost replaced everything again apart from the rack and I'm pretty sure that it will be a big improvement :)

The ride height will affect the steering too.

djinuk
05-08-2009, 09:24
well my F ref ( with the loose steering) is being sold anyway so im not planning on spending on this.

Im more concerned about making sure everything is spot on with the J reg which has the tight steering.

Spooky
05-08-2009, 09:28
It could be the steering column bushes maybe ?

There are 2 bushes on the column, they could cause a tightness effect.

rs250nut
05-08-2009, 18:16
Not taking the pisch but tyre pressures?