PDA

View Full Version : Knocking at rear of car

Gymnast
04-08-2009, 12:11
Hey guys,

Trying to sort out this weird issue before putting my car on track at Nat Day, basically:

When giving it the beans around slightly bumpy corners or if I hit a large bump in the road I get a loud knock that vibrates up the roll cage making a ringing sound in the back. It sounds exactly like it would if you hit the roll cage with a solid object.

My setup is "Gay Tech" roll cage and boot brace, lowered front/back on 16's

I am going to pop the wheels off later on today and have a look for anything that is obviously wrong, loose or hitting.

Just wondered if anyone had any ideas or things I can check when doing so ...

Cheers G :)

Spooky
04-08-2009, 12:36
Sounds like a ****y shock absorber to me.

Andrew Cooke
04-08-2009, 12:38
Sounds like a ****y shock absorber to me.

either that, the exhaust, or an asylum seeker

BriC
04-08-2009, 12:40
either that, the exhaust, or an asylum seeker

I'm going for the latter. 'Knock knock, let me in please..'

Gymnast
04-08-2009, 12:54
Lol, have a sidey and there is a decent gap between that and the car ... although not ruling it out. Although it's difficult to tell, it seems more prevalent on the driver's side. The MOT guy did say the shocks weren't in tip top condition, a trip to Reno might be in order ...

Markey Mark (BD)
04-08-2009, 16:34
Check the top mount for the rear shocks to mate, they have a tendancy of breaking off the sandwich bar inside the chassis leg and then ovaling the mounting hole out in the chassis leg

Gymnast
05-08-2009, 21:32
Right ... whipped the wheels off and had a butchers. The rubber gaiters had split on both shocks (see pics) and on drivers side there was a bit of arch rub. So I reckon the shocks could do with replacing.

How do std shocks handle with the car lowered, or is it worth spending the extra cash getting some aftermarket adjustables?