PDA

View Full Version : Running hot...

jantheeven
22-09-2008, 17:49
Hey guys... after installing the new engine with new pistons, liners, turbo, etc. I noticed that the water temp gets pretty high whilst at stand still and slow driving around town. From my old engine, I swapped the water pump and all of the samco coolant hoses. I also got a brand new copper radiator and a low temp thermostat. The fan switch is standard. But... I never had any overheating problems with my old engine. And now, it often rises above the third bar (not in the red zone fortunately), which can't be good. I never saw it get so high with my old engine. What could be the problem? Dodgy water pump maybe? It doens't leak coolant anywhere...

Os8472
22-09-2008, 17:52
Air lock maybe

Roach
22-09-2008, 17:53
Is This The Engine You Had Problems With Smoking ?

jantheeven
22-09-2008, 19:25
Yep... that's the engine...

By the way, how do I find out if it's an air lock?

When the car is really hot and I shut the engine down... I notice that the coolant level in the expansion tank is pretty low. When I open the filler cap, it immediately rises again to above the max marker.......

Roach
22-09-2008, 19:27
bleed the system proper first...to make sure no air locks in the system

you do know how to bleed ?

Did you mange to sort out the smoking issues ?

:cry:

jantheeven
22-09-2008, 19:29
I bled the system... done it loads of times... no air coming out of the bleed nipples

Smoking still not resolved. A mate of mine on a Dutch Renault forum said that he had the same problem with his new turbo and that it stopped smoking after 1000+ miles...

raj
22-09-2008, 19:51
when ever ive rebuilt an engine, the coolant fill up proceedure i take are as follows -

undo short bleed nip then pour coolant in the header tank and blow into the tank to push the coolant through the system making sure not to let the coolant in the header tank get low while doing this, if that happens you'll be blowing air back into the system. i keep blowing till i get a clean stream pouring out the hose, i then do the same with the large bleed nip.
then just for the sake of it,i bleed the system with the engine running. ive not had any probs with air lock doing it like the ever.
:)

Roach
22-09-2008, 19:52
Jan..

Make sure you check the simple stuff first,

I had a problem like that before, it trned out to be the wires on the temp switch was the wrong way around most people have crimps on that sensor where the old one has fallen off.

Check to see when the fan is cutting in, could be faulty rad switch ?

etc.....

jantheeven
22-09-2008, 22:05
Jan..

Make sure you check the simple stuff first,

I had a problem like that before, it trned out to be the wires on the temp switch was the wrong way around most people have crimps on that sensor where the old one has fallen off.

Check to see when the fan is cutting in, could be faulty rad switch ?

etc.....

Fan cuts in just a bit reaching the third bar on the temp gauge... should be no problem there since I have a new wiring loom

jantheeven
26-09-2008, 14:30
Is it possible that when the fan switch connector is on the wrong way around... the fan turns in the opposite direction?? Or is that a way too simple course of thoughts? :laugh:

James5
26-09-2008, 14:35
Yeah if the wrong way it will cause it to blow, turn the connections around matey and it will suck again:laugh::smokin:

jantheeven
26-09-2008, 14:43
Probably wise to check that then :laugh: ... I want a fan that sucks! :rolleyes:

By the way... are you also going to the Ring on october 18-21? I'm thinking of joining you guys too on Sunday, as it's just 100 miles from where I live in Holland...

James5
26-09-2008, 14:49
Unfortunatly not matey to many commitments here at the moment. But I hope you have a good time, as from previous threads I have seen it is looks really good.

jantheeven
26-09-2008, 14:51
Too bad mate...

But just to be clear: does the fan need to blow cool air toward the radiator or suck warm air from it? I'm getting confused :ashamed:

James5
26-09-2008, 14:54
It should suck the cold air through the rad,:)

jantheeven
26-09-2008, 14:55
LOL... okay now I got it... thanks again mate :agree:

jantheeven
28-09-2008, 20:17
Okay... there are 2 connectors... one at the fan switch and one to the power feed for the fan itself. The one at the fan switch doesn't determine in which direction the fan spins, because it only tells the fan when to start turning. The power feed to the fan should be the one causing the problem, but that can't be... since that connector only fits in one way. So maybe the problem lies elsewhere?

James5
29-09-2008, 13:19
1) Is the fan sucking air?

2) Is the top hose stat working properly matey (even if it's new could be knackered)?

Take the stat out boil up some water in a kettle get a couple of pyrex jugs or similar pour boiling water into 1 and cold water into the other put the stat in the cold water 1st and leave it for a couple of mins then put it into the boiling water make sure the copper end of the stat is facing up and the boiling water level covers it you should start to see the stat open and air bubbles come through (you may even here it creak open) if not your stat is knackered .:crap::coffee:

3) Bleed the coolant system again.

I would also bleed the coolant system again matey could be an airlock still in there I always find that raising the header tank doesn't always work and sometimes have to give the header tank a blow and whilst I am blowing get an assistant to put the bleed nipples in whilst the coolant is coming out of the holes put the top rad hose nipple in 1st then then the water pump to swirl pot 2nd (keep the coolant coming out whilst your bleeding a nice steady flow).

:smokin::pimp::coffee:

jantheeven
17-10-2008, 19:21
Okay... everything is okay now... except the water temp whilst at stand still and slow driving. The fan spins in the wrong direction! It's blowing warm air from the engine bay through the radiator. But the connector only fits in one way... how can I get it to spin in the opposite direction then?

Shane P
17-10-2008, 20:10
Cut the 2 fan wires and connect them the other way round :)

James5
17-10-2008, 20:30
Cut the 2 fan wires and connect them the other way round :)

:laugh::agree:

jantheeven
17-10-2008, 21:00
LOL yeah that's what I thought... but a friend of mine said that the 2 wires are plus and earth... and if you connect them the other way around, that nothing would happen. I'm no electrician... so you can tell me anything :laugh:

jantheeven
18-10-2008, 10:40
I just called my friend and explained your advice to him... he knows a lot about cars and he still says it's not possible to just cut the wires and connect them the other way around. In fact... he's quite baffled that the fan spins in the wrong direction now that I have a new wiring loom. Any thoughts on this guys please?

James5
18-10-2008, 10:42
Seriously matey just cut the fan wires and turn them around and see which way the fan then runs (Should be in the correct direction):):coffee:

Trevhib
18-10-2008, 10:54
He shouldn't have to cut the wires. There's obviously something amiss somewhere else.

James5
18-10-2008, 11:04
True something is amiss somewhere follow the cables from the rad fan switch to where they go, of the top of my head I think 1 goes to the alt and the other goes to the relay attached to the cowling in front of the alt.

jantheeven
18-10-2008, 12:06
I think K-Tec made a little mistake when they fabricated the wiring loom... the fan connector was put on the wrong way around. This way, red was connected to black and black to red... :confused:

5teve L
18-10-2008, 12:26
Cut & connect the other way :)

James5
18-10-2008, 12:46
I think K-Tec made a little mistake when they fabricated the wiring loom... the fan connector was put on the wrong way around. This way, red was connected to black and black to red... :confused:

:laugh::laugh:

alex-r5
18-10-2008, 15:47
wicked stuff

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?cls=ROAD&pcode=DEI040104

jantheeven
18-10-2008, 16:46
Problem is now solved... cut the wires and connected RED to RED and BLACK to BLACK :laugh: :laugh:
Temp is now fine... not rising above the third bar... great success ;) :agree:

James5
18-10-2008, 17:50
Good to see you got it working properly matey.

Time to sit back and have a:coffee::coffee:

jantheeven
18-10-2008, 23:37
Yeah... finally! There were times I thought that it wasn't ever gonna be okay... but all problems are solved now, including the smoking issue. Can't wait to go to the Ring tomorrow and meet some of the other members! :coffee:

Bommer
19-10-2008, 09:22
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Too bad mate...

But just to be clear: does the fan need to blow cool air toward the radiator or suck warm air from it? I'm getting confused :ashamed:
the fan needs to turn to the left mate mine is on a switch did the same thing changed wires job done