PDA

View Full Version : turbodan hg failure ?

djinuk
02-08-2009, 09:53
Ok, turbodan on here recently got hold of a r5 project, after 5 mins (battery and correct plumbing) the car fired, now the car does not seem to smoke but the oil is full of water (mayo spec) (this is after a fresh oil change), and when revved the car makes an awefull high pitched squeak that seems to be coming from the head area possibly down the back, it seems to do it most on sudden throttle. Could this be an inlet gasket leaking or possibly somthing going on in the head.

when the car is turned of the engine appears to hiss pop squeak and crackle.. any suggestions ?

RICHIE
02-08-2009, 10:41
Ok, turbodan on here recently got hold of a r5 project, after 5 mins (battery and correct plumbing) the car fired, now the car does not seem to smoke but the oil is full of water (mayo spec) (this is after a fresh oil change), and when revved the car makes an awefull high pitched squeak that seems to be coming from the head area possibly down the back, it seems to do it most on sudden throttle. Could this be an inlet gasket leaking or possibly somthing going on in the head.

when the car is turned of the engine appears to hiss pop squeak and crackle.. any suggestions ?

have you done a compression check i would say the hissing crackling is possibly water burning off in the manifold area. i would say its possible head failure/gasket

Andrew Cooke
02-08-2009, 10:45
has the gasket just been changed? water in oil could be liner O rings. Is there oil in water? does air bubble out of the header tank, how's compression.

djinuk
02-08-2009, 11:46
to be honest car was brought in quite a state, had been stood many years, and theres a huge amount of chavtastic bodges taken place.. the oil (lack of) seemed ok before we got it running, however the oil has been topped up and after possibly a total of 10 mins running time its very very white. Havnt compression tested it yet as i havnt got one to hand but i guess thats next step.

TNT Tricky Nicky
02-08-2009, 12:17
Could be inlet/exhast gasket blowing what you can hear, also could just be condensation from standing so long causing Mayo, comp test is probably the way forward. If it's a bit of a project car and is evidence of poor repairs it maybe worth changing all the gaskets anyway

djinuk
02-08-2009, 13:14
evidence of poor repaitrs is pretty mild tbh m8, i think compression test anyhow, and a headgasket change.. not sure whos going to do that though as its not somthing ive done before.

TNT Tricky Nicky
02-08-2009, 21:47
it can seem a fairly daunting job a hg change but if you're fairly good with the spanners you should be fine following the haynes, doing a search or asking on here, it's suprising how easy it is.

miller changed emmas in the car park at pod the other year and i'm sure alot of other members on here have done it a few times now and can have it done in a couple of hours.

if the hg has gone you can get a top end gasket set so all the others can be changed easily while you're at it

TrixNFlix
02-08-2009, 22:01
I've changed the headgasket 4 times now on the 5 and the first time was very very daunting! It took me all weekend to do as I dismantled everything like water pump manifolds etc for some bizzare reason! Anyhow I labeled all pipes and hoses up so I could remember were they went. Once you do it once you will find it easy. Can be done in a few hours. ;)

markey b
04-08-2009, 19:21
I've changed the headgasket 4 times now on the 5 and the first time was very very daunting! It took me all weekend to do as I dismantled everything like water pump manifolds etc for some bizzare reason! Anyhow I labeled all pipes and hoses up so I could remember were they went. Once you do it once you will find it easy. Can be done in a few hours. ;)

same here, i'm on at least my 10th now (not all mine!!) takes about an hour to do now, and you learn that there is only a few things that you need to remove, and most of it comes off attatched to the head