PDA

View Full Version : heater ventilation fan

Spooky
30-07-2009, 11:59
for some reason my interior fan has stopped working, ive checked the fuse and tried another motor still no joy. it was working before but has completely stopped now.

the dash has been tinkered with because i have an act guage on the cold air vents and the a boost guage was plumbed into the oe clock housing. i think the wiring has obviously been disturbed.

whats the best way of dismantling the dial surround area to locate the appropriate wiring ?

IANMM
30-07-2009, 12:07
pull the fan on turn it on and check the terminals that the motor plugs into for voltage....if not move onto the round dial as these often perish.......make sure you check the terminals tho on the motor as they are fiddly to get lined up and you could have a perfectly good motor thats just not sitting on the connections properly

Spooky
30-07-2009, 12:17
both motors work fine dude, i tried them with a direct feed from the battery.

i want to get into the wiring.

IANMM
30-07-2009, 12:19
but have you checked the live feed where they sit in there housing?

Spooky
30-07-2009, 12:23
nope, im about to now :D...didnt think of that...:crap: :cooter:

IANMM
30-07-2009, 12:27
just make sure its turned on :)

Spooky
30-07-2009, 12:47
bollox, havnt got my multimeter here, its at my mums.

i need to go over anyway, ill post up what i see @ the terminals in a bit.

Spooky
30-07-2009, 16:03
ive got just below 12v across the terminals.

then i noticed how loose the positive terminal was from the fan shroud :crap:

how can i remove the heater fan shroud as i can not manipulate the terminal enough to sit securely ?

:scared:

Ricardo
30-07-2009, 22:21
for some reason my interior fan has stopped working, ive checked the fuse and tried another motor still no joy. it was working before but has completely stopped now.

the dash has been tinkered with because i have an act guage on the cold air vents and the a boost guage was plumbed into the oe clock housing. i think the wiring has obviously been disturbed.

whats the best way of dismantling the dial surround area to locate the appropriate wiring ?

Spookster the fan worked intermittently when i had it, it drove me crazy :scratch:

IANMM
30-07-2009, 23:28
if thats the case i bet money on the rotory switch or a dodgey fan connection.....cant be anything else really

Spooky
31-07-2009, 08:29
Ric, it worked perfectly fine before I sold it to you :laugh:

Ian, whats the best way of getting into that area to remove it dude, have you done it before ?

IANMM
31-07-2009, 08:56
yeah the fan switch comes off as one unit think its just a couple of clips that hold it in.....then you can pop the rotary switch off you should see 4 wires attached to 4 circular holes on the back off the switch one of these will be the live feed and the other 3 are the fan speed settings...if you get a tester out put one side to ground you will be able to see if you got a live feed going to it...if you have then bridge from that to one of the other connections then (in theory) your fan should work if you haven't got a live feed there then your problem lies elsewhere and you will have to trace it back.....i usually use a 2 tester system with one plugged into the motor connections and then rested on the window screen so you can see the reading in the car as it can be tricky to get the motor to sit in correctly...once you see a reading you know you can fiddle about and get the motor in then :)

IANMM
31-07-2009, 08:59
and the fan motor housing ive never had to remove mate....you could pre wire the fan with some cable then connect it in the housing....might be a bit tricky but if the push on connector has gone it might be the lesser of two evils....

hope all this has made sense?

Spooky
31-07-2009, 09:07
Cheers dude.

Ive got power coming to the connectors in the scuttle but one of the terminals was hanging off! That'd explain the intermittent behaviour like Riccy mentioned.

I will try and use some wiring to extend the power conenctions in the scuttle and attach it to the fan to see if it comes alive.

If that don't work, I'll be diving deeper in the dash lol

And yea, that made sense :agree:

IANMM
31-07-2009, 09:10
sound :)

Spooky
04-08-2009, 09:18
it was defintely the fan unit area causing me the prob...the motor wasnt seating on the terms and i think they just got a bit mangled...a bit of a rewire and all is good now :agree:

ahh, no steamage of the windows :ashamed:

IANMM
04-08-2009, 09:37
cool mate glad you sorted it :)