PDA

View Full Version : shock absorbers/ lock nut

raj
28-07-2009, 17:11
regarding the lock nut on each shock absorber.

how in gods name do i torque it up:mad::sad: the shock shaft keeps spinning!

ive tried holding the shaft at the highest point with big mole grips and then tried to torque the lock nut up with a torque wrench.. no luck:disagree:

ive even tried it with an air impact wrench..with no luck.

how exactly do you stop the shaft from spinning?

wasted a Whole day tried to just torque these nuts up:disagree::cry:

Alex
28-07-2009, 17:24
You need something like an off-set spanner to tighten it up. There's an allan key on the top of the shock which you'll need to hold as you tighten it.

Hope that makes sense? :)

raj
28-07-2009, 17:31
You need something like an off-set spanner to tighten it up. There's an allan key on the top of the shock

no there isnt! there nothing at thetop of the shock apart from the adjuster, i can t
ake the adjuster cap off but that only reveals what the cap twists on! my shock are konis by the way.

Rob@Backyardracing
28-07-2009, 17:45
Is the car resting on its wheels on the ground? id just gun them normaly and leave it at that..

raj
28-07-2009, 18:24
Is the car resting on its wheels on the ground? id just gun them normaly and leave it at that..

the shock are not yet fitted to the car. if they were i couldnt gun it as the turret top would be in the way.

as mentioned, i have actually air gunned it but the threads on the shock shaft are not even showing through the top of the lock nut.! i recall before i undid the lock nut that there where at leat 4 lines of thread visable at the top.

just need something to really Clamp hold of the shaft.

Schakal
28-07-2009, 18:32
get a decent set of mole grips ,preferably one with flat faces .

assuming the springs are compressed enough , put the lot
on its side on the floor ,stick the mole grips between 2 coils
and set it to a point where you could not lock it by hand .
now use your foot and body weight(i am only 75kgs )
to lock the mole grips . jobs a good one :agree:

be very carefull releasing the mole grips after use , as they tend to
come out like a rocket ,i usually stay well clear and use a long screw driver
to lever the arms out .

olidaviesuk
29-07-2009, 17:09
Just done a set of konis...

on the top where the adjuster is - the thread the locking nut screws onto is flattened both sides to take a 10mm spanner, you can use this to hold the damper rod steady whilst doing the nut up with a ring spanner.. did this on a set of 5 Koni's last weekend..

raj
29-07-2009, 17:44
Just done a set of konis...

on the top where the adjuster is - the thread the locking nut screws onto is flattened both sides to take a 10mm spanner, you can use this to hold the damper rod steady whilst doing the nut up with a ring spanner.. did this on a set of 5 Koni's last weekend..

id do that if i hadnt aready made that part smooth from making the spanner slip:cry: the spanner just keeps slipping off the shaft as the corners are smoothed away:sad:

olidaviesuk
29-07-2009, 18:50
Get yourself a flat file and straighten them up again so a 9,8 or 7mm spanner will fit, doesn't really do the damper seals too much good to turn the rod against the seals (with an impact gun) so avoid that if you can... also might be worth trying replacing the nuts (if they are nylocs) with a split washer and normal nut with threadlock.... that way you should be able to spin it on (almost all the way by hand) and just nip it up to whatever torque it needs to be at the end...:agree:

id do that if i hadnt aready made that part smooth from making the spanner slip:cry: the spanner just keeps slipping off the shaft as the corners are smoothed away:sad: