PDA

View Full Version : Electrical issues

c5 swh
27-07-2009, 18:48
My guages and lights on the dash seem to be playing up since ive put the new engine in.

First of all the oil pressure light is staying on even though i have good oil pressure.

The oil level works but the light in the background is staying illuminated.

The water tempreture guage works but the red light is staying on even when water is cold?

What causes this?

IANMM
27-07-2009, 18:55
like i said on your other post mate i would reley on your aftermarket guages but if its realy bugging you first i would try all the connections on the back of the clocks then move on to the ones on the senders cleaning them all throughly...

have you got all the eartstraps back on the engine and there all onto good clean bare metal connections...

and if you could get hold of another set of clocks i would try them as a simple swap try

c5 swh
27-07-2009, 19:12
Thanks for the reply, The clocks were working before i took the engine out, the rev counter etc workrs fine along with petrol and water tempreture just the odd light coming on and staying on when it shouldnt?

Just out of intrest where does the earth thats built into the loom go to, so i can check with mine.

thanks

IANMM
27-07-2009, 19:35
Just because they worked before means nothing with these little buggers....clean all connections then go from there.....and if memory serves me correctly its by the headlights

you can just stap some tempory ones onto the block and engine bay to see what that does...

c5 swh
27-07-2009, 19:36
Cool, off to work in abit so will have a go tommorrow. Thanks again

Jimmy_GTT
27-07-2009, 19:45
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Thanks for the reply, The clocks were working before i took the engine out, the rev counter etc workrs fine along with petrol and water tempreture just the odd light coming on and staying on when it shouldnt?

Just out of intrest where does the earth thats built into the loom go to, so i can check with mine.

thanks

Try to disconnect the oil levell sensor / oil pressure sensor / water temperature one by one. Then you will know which causes the lights to be on.
As I remember the lights are on till the oil level is shown. After cranking once the oil pressure is more than the limit of the red light the red light and the background illumination of the oil pressure/level is turned off and the presswure is shown instead of the level.
So I thiink the problem is with the oil pressure sensor. Try to swap the two wires on it.
But for the standard R5s the oil pressure red light and the wwater temperature red light is earthed together. So if there is any of the fault both wwill glowe.
Hope I could help you.

c5 swh
27-07-2009, 19:49

Try to disconnect the oil levell sensor / oil pressure sensor / water temperature one by one. Then you will know which causes the lights to be on.
As I remember the lights are on till the oil level is shown. After cranking once the oil pressure is more than the limit of the red light the red light and the background illumination of the oil pressure/level is turned off and the presswure is shown instead of the level.
So I thiink the problem is with the oil pressure sensor. Try to swap the two wires on it.
But for the standard R5s the oil pressure red light and the wwater temperature red light is earthed together. So if there is any of the fault both wwill glowe.
Hope I could help you.

Good idea will have a go tomorrow and will let you know what i find out:crap:

c5 swh
28-07-2009, 18:40
had a play around with the wiring today, still no closer to fixing the problem.

started by swapping the brown and orange wires aorund on the spade connectors made no differnace.

Then pulled each connection one by one;

when i pulled the temp connection off the temp gauge stopped working but all lights stayed on.

When pulled oil level sender off nothing happend and the same for the oil pressure guage.

What else could be the problem? What would cause all the lights to stay on when the engine running?

thanks in adavance

c5 swh
28-07-2009, 20:34
Forgot to mention, before i took the engine all the guages and lights on dash worked as norm apart from when you switched the headlights on the oil pressure guage arrow on dash would jump up and sit higher,

What would cause these problems.

any help apprecatied im stumped:cry:

Kris M
28-07-2009, 20:49
What condition is the engine loom itself in ??? Are you sure the connecter of death behind the N/S headlight is clean and fully home ??

Jimmy_GTT
28-07-2009, 21:01

had a play around with the wiring today, still no closer to fixing the problem.

started by swapping the brown and orange wires aorund on the spade connectors made no differnace.

Then pulled each connection one by one;

when i pulled the temp connection off the temp gauge stopped working but all lights stayed on.

When pulled oil level sender off nothing happend and the same for the oil pressure guage.

What else could be the problem? What would cause all the lights to stay on when the engine running?

thanks in adavance

Have you also tried to disconnect the oil pressure and oil level at the same time?
As I know these lamps gets the ground on the oil pressure and oil level sensors. Till there is no pressure the oil pressure red light switch is switched to gnd. (lights are on) After the pressure goes higher this switch will turn off and the lights turn off, and the pressure can be seen on the gauge. Can you see the pressure on the gauge? Or it is not working at all? Than it seems that the oil pressure sensor is faulty. Or its cable is stuck to gnd. Is it in its original place? (end of the turbo oil feed pipe)

c5 swh
29-07-2009, 17:08
Right ive cleaned the death connector and its still the same,

Ive managed to get the lights to go off buy disconecting the brown wire on the oil level sender.

So now that doesnt work, oil pressure gauge kinda of works but thats never been too good.

But now when you switch the ignition on none of the lights light up, oil pressure etc, im not to fussed as i can keep my eye on oil pressure guage for problems but would like to get it sorted if possible.

Any one no what else i can try?

Dave Reed
30-07-2009, 14:24
Check the earths on the back of the alternator and look for any that you haven't connected in that area.

Same thing happend to a mates car and that where the problem was.