PDA

View Full Version : How would you get a car TUV approved ?

Leigh
27-07-2009, 14:45
Went to Nurburgring again this weekend and been stopped for the noise test etc etc... Which the car passed, but then they went over the car and pointed out a few bits need doing as these parts are not road legal in Germany. He said the cars gotta be TUV approved and now they wont let the car back on track until its proved to be legal in Germany and UK and documents to say the engine size. Any help would be very handy :(

Leigh

Bigfoot
27-07-2009, 15:29
http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/tuv/index.html

Leigh
27-07-2009, 15:58
http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/tuv/index.html

Well reading that just seems there being very picky when we got stopped. They said we had to fit sun visors or sunstrip, oil catch tank as Relentless can wasn't good enough, roll cage padding, the alarm can't autolock the doors incase of a crash they wouldn't be able to open door and they want proof of the engine as its got a 2.0 16v which is stated on the log book but not good enough for the German regulations :mad: then they told us end of play and to remove car from track after we went through the barrier.

Hoolio
27-07-2009, 16:04
You didn't keep overtaking the taxi's did you?;)

Ricardo
27-07-2009, 16:07
I would imagine most, if not all companies that deal in modifying cars would have the safety compliant certificates. Would the grey area be when fitting TUV products at home DIY style and not at a garage that's approved?

What parts weren't deemed road legal? My clio is modified in the way it has a Koni suspension which is TUV approved, The Apex springs fitted to them are TUV approved and manufactured to ISO9001/2000 standards.

Regards trips to the Nurburgring there's no harm in making sure that parts fitted to your car that aren't std do comply. I think it was mentioned before that R5GTT's with side exits or aftermarket exhausts can be a potential target for scrutineers as they're not exactly quiet

Gymnast
27-07-2009, 16:12
If you've got a sidey the best way around it is to get a dumbass tester who holds the probe at the rear of the car ... like that muppet did to me at Hullavington! :laugh: :rolleyes: :agree:

Ricardo
27-07-2009, 16:17
If you've got a sidey the best way around it is to get a dumbass tester who holds the probe at the rear of the car ... like that muppet did to me at Hullavington! :laugh: :rolleyes: :agree:

:D

That happened to me on a trackday at RAF Woodbridge near Ipswich........... 96 decibels :wasntme:

Leigh
27-07-2009, 16:26
What parts weren't deemed road legal?

They deemed the oil catch tank ( Relentless can ) wasn't legal over there and should be a proper sealed tank, the roll cage needed to be padded and the car in there words is a race car and not road legal. The main thing they questioned is the engine as the car wasn't in production in a 2.0 but there are 1000's of 2.0 Nova's.

The seats have the FIA reg thing on the side and in date still, everything else on the car would be ISO rated etc etc...

Ricardo
27-07-2009, 16:35
Fair dues with the Relentless 'catch tank' worse case scenario is hot oil spilling out on the track or in the engine bay. Nothing an ally catch tank with hoses wouldn't sort, roll cage padding shouldn't be too expensive.

Regarding the engine, did that shell with the chassis number have a 2L in it when it rolled out the factory? I take it the rollcage is from a known company (out of interest)

Leigh
27-07-2009, 16:53
Fair dues with the Relentless 'catch tank' worse case scenario is hot oil spilling out on the track or in the engine bay. Nothing an ally catch tank with hoses wouldn't sort, roll cage padding shouldn't be too expensive.

Regarding the engine, did that shell with the chassis number have a 2L in it when it rolled out the factory? I take it the rollcage is from a known company (out of interest)

None of its expensive, but all a big pain in the arse. Just glad they stopped us on the Sunday and not the Friday. The Nova never came as a 2L but DVLA now reconise it as a 2L as its registered and insured as this. The cage is a Safety Devices so no problems there. Just thought better get all the paperwork sorted so then it wouldn't happen when we go again and get it all done for my 5 so don't get the same out come when i take that :(

Brigsy
27-07-2009, 17:18
Looks like the van wont get a lap of the ring then:(:disagree:

Bigfoot
27-07-2009, 17:22

My 5 got a lap around the track, I think its just when you get pulled over and checked that they might be funny about it I guess. Long way to go to then be turned around though.

Leigh
27-07-2009, 21:13

We had done about 15 laps before we got pulled to the side, my mates got a straight through exhaust on his TVR bangs and crackles all the time but sailed straight through and he done a few laps :cool: I think it's just random as they pulled 2 of us in at once and then didnt see anyone pulled in for hours.