View Full Version : Renault Suspended from Valencia

Penfold aka The Dealer
26-07-2009, 18:50
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8169649.stm

JRP
26-07-2009, 18:54
Bloody right as well! they knew it was not on properly! carless and wreckless luck nobody got hurt.

Plus i hate alonso so this is perfect!!! he cant race infront of his home fans hahahaha my life becomeing good again! hate the bloke

Spooky
26-07-2009, 18:54
If Massa never had his accident and Surtees Junior wasn't killed last week, this wouldn't have happened.

The FIA are just taking the piss.

JRP
26-07-2009, 18:57
indeed hence why its been done in light of recent events id guess....

clee
26-07-2009, 18:58
Knee jerk ...It'll all part of the game .

stuTHC
26-07-2009, 19:04
They should win an appeal.

How can the FIA argue that they 'knowingly' let the car leave the pits like that?
It doesn't make sence for the team to let him go with the wheel not attached properly if they knew about it.

gtmatt
26-07-2009, 19:58
Bloody right as well! they knew it was not on properly! carless and wreckless luck nobody got hurt.

Plus i hate alonso so this is perfect!!! he cant race infront of his home fans hahahaha my life becomeing good again! hate the bloke

Alonso can race like today he was not in Spain the car ran very well ,unlike u see more off bloody hamltons bird then the actual race what a load of bull **** happens in racing and things happen I'm affaid ,alonso has also show commitment this season

THE MASTER
26-07-2009, 20:16
they just need to ban the wheel trims . that wot caused the prob .

James George
26-07-2009, 21:22
they just need to ban the wheel trims . that wot caused the prob .

spot on, they look crap and make wheel changing difficult, wheel trims are for 1.1 saxos not F1 cars.

THE MASTER
26-07-2009, 21:32
cant wait for next year when refuling is going to be stopped . wow thats going to make for exiting racing at the first few laps . just when the fia start getting some exitment and racing going the fia go and **** up yet again
:coffee:

James George
26-07-2009, 21:38
just got to keep fingers crossed that jean todt does not get mad max's job. this time next year it will be all is forgiven max please come back. ari vatanen on the other hand will prob dish out fines for drivers who are insufficiently sideways and those who fail to smoke the tyres at the start.

5alldaway
26-07-2009, 23:45
if anyones to blame its the guy who gave it the all clear on that wheel, and maybe the lollipop man who let fernando go

anyway i still think its a piss take, any time there is any contact theres always an investigation :mad:

Trevhib
27-07-2009, 14:14
if anyones to blame its the guy who gave it the all clear on that wheel, and maybe the lollipop man who let fernando go

anyway i still think its a piss take, any time there is any contact theres always an investigation :mad:

lollipop man will take his cue from the wheel man. Can't possibly be him that takes responsibility for anything other than if he were to raise the lollipop before all the all-clears are shown.

Andrew Cooke
27-07-2009, 17:34
lollipop man will take his cue from the wheel man. Can't possibly be him that takes responsibility for anything other than if he were to raise the lollipop before all the all-clears are shown.

watch the incar clip again

Trevhib
27-07-2009, 18:07
watch the incar clip again

I had to go on iplayer and find the incar footage inside the full 2hr feature, lol.

Right, so it's obvious from the incar that my condition above is fully satisfied. Has to be the lollipop man then. Although there is another of the pit crew holding his hand up on that side. Not sure what that signifies but surely the guy tightening the trim has to hold his right arm up before the lollipop man should do anything. Seems the lollipop was gone before the front jack had even been removed...

I blame Tonibell.

Mart
27-07-2009, 18:15
I did think the lollipop man had been a bit too hasty in letting Alonso go.

Imho, I think it's a fair move by the FIA. It could've been classed as a knee-jerk reaction given the Surtees incident & what happened to Massa, but Alonso could've (and maybe should've) pulled off to the side of the track long before that wheel came loose & bounced off to christ knows where.

God forbid, but if that wheel had caused another Surtees esque death, where would Alonso/Renault be standing now? The loose wheel which contributed to killing Surtees was a pure accident/extremely bad luck which couldn't really have been avoided, yet Alonso knew the score with his loose wheel, but yet continued to drive in vane of getting back to the pits.

Bad move in my books, especially bearing in mind how fresh the Surtees/Massa incidents were in everyone's mind, hence, as I say, I think it's a fair move by the FIA.

rs250nut
27-07-2009, 18:25
What about the brawn car with the spring hitting massa in the face? Should they not be penalised. All because the brake duct was not clicked back into position the wheel comes off, what about some kind of fail safe. This is the top formula in the world so they say, its a joke. I think its boring to watch at the best of times even the lame front drive touring cars are better too watch. Want to watch something with real excitement moto gp with a silly amout of overtaking on any given corner battling it out for first with five riders or more all in with a shout of finishing first and decideing it on the last corner.

Trevhib
27-07-2009, 18:29
What about the brawn car with the spring hitting massa in the face? Should they not be penalised. All because the brake duct was not clicked back into position the wheel comes off, what about some kind of fail safe. This is the top formula in the world so they say, its a joke. I think its boring to watch at the best of times even the lame front drive touring cars are better too watch. Want to watch something with real excitement moto gp with a silly amout of overtaking on any given corner battling it out for first with five riders or more all in with a shout of finishing first and decideing it on the last corner.

Agree with the MOTO GP comment, that really is excitement. Everything else you said is parp IMO. :agree: :disagree:

James George
27-07-2009, 18:32
what about red bull? didn't they release webber into the path of raikonen after his pit stop, and the amount of swerving that is common place at the starts... it goes on and on, motorsport is dangerous by nature, its about the FIA and stewards being consistent and reasoned in their decisions which historically they have been pretty poor at.

Mart
27-07-2009, 18:32
What about the brawn car with the spring hitting massa in the face? Should they not be penalised.

No, because again it was a pure accident/extremely unlucky, and couldn't be avoided.

The fact is, is that Alonso did know about the loose wheel, and thus could've pulled over & avoided a potentially life-threatening incident/accident at the same time. He didn't though; he choose to try & make it back to the pits, yet halfway round the wheel came off, which thankfully didn't harm anyone in the process of wherever it bounced off/ended up.

rs250nut
27-07-2009, 18:34
Agree with the MOTO GP comment, that really is excitement. Everything else you said is parp IMO. :agree: :disagree:

Furry muff :)

Mart
27-07-2009, 18:34
what about red bull? didn't they release webber into the path of raikonen after his pit stop.

Yep, that should've been a penalty of some sort, a la Massa's near pitlane miss at Valencia last year.

rs250nut
27-07-2009, 18:42
No, because again it was a pure accident/extremely unlucky, and couldn't be avoided.

The fact is, is that Alonso did know about the loose wheel, and thus could've pulled over & avoided a potentially life-threatening incident/accident at the same time. He didn't though; he choose to try & make it back to the pits, and halfway round the wheel came off, which thankfully didn't harm anyone in the process of wherever it bounced off/ended up.

Good point, put yourself behind the wheel of Alonso's Renault would you not like to carry on in the g.p and limp back to the pits? Or would you stop and admit defeat? I know its dangerous but thats motorsport

Mart
27-07-2009, 18:44
Of course, but as I say the Surtees/Massa incidents were still fresh in everyone's mind, so maybe Alonso should've just pulled over, given he knew his race (and any chance of points) was pretty much over anyway, and bearing in mind how anal the FIA have been of late with dishing out penalties left right & centre.

Trevhib
27-07-2009, 18:46
Yep, that should've been a penalty of some sort, a la Massa's near pitlane miss at Valencia last year.

Hmmm, maybe for consistency, as James mentioned above but I liked Martin Brundle's reasons at the time for why it was just about ok.

Mart
27-07-2009, 18:53
If you YouTube it, there's not much in it between that & Massa's near miss from last year, but for sure the inconsistency of the way the FIA dish out penalties needs addressing for next year onwards.

I hope Vatanen gets the nod over Todt...