PDA

View Full Version : notifying dvla of an engine change

r5 rich
25-07-2009, 14:56
I have got a clio 1.8 16v with a Renault 5 GT turbo lump in it and now its nearly there to getting on the road I want to register the engine change and I don`t have a cluw how to do it! I phoned up the dvla and they were to no use at all.

If anyone can help me out I would be a very happy bunny;)

Brigsy
25-07-2009, 15:03
You will need to get proof of the swap to get the logbook changed, a report from a garage stating mileage & engine fitted will do. Take it down to your local dvla office with the logbook & they will send it off. Get the tax at the same time as sorting out the logbook as the tax class will change, so saves cashing in the tax etc.

r5 rich
25-07-2009, 16:18
You will need to get proof of the swap to get the logbook changed, a report from a garage stating mileage & engine fitted will do. Take it down to your local dvla office with the logbook & they will send it off. Get the tax at the same time as sorting out the logbook as the tax class will change, so saves cashing in the tax etc.

the engine came from my old renault 5 gt turbo and I know the clocks were wound back as it said it had 30,000 on them:sad2: So i have no knowledge to how many miles the engine has done! I know the clio shell has done 84k from new as I kept the clio gearbox to keep the milage correct.

How can I apply for a report from a garage when I done the conversion myself or is it just a report to say what engine is in it? do they need to know engine block numbers as I think i remember the metal tag being removed when the engine was rebuild and painted!?!?

Brigsy
25-07-2009, 16:53
Just a report to verify what engine is fitted. You will need engine numbers or you cannot declare the engine on the logbook?

Bigfoot
25-07-2009, 17:07
You only need a report if your tax band is going down, just had to supply engine code and size of engine when it was increased.

r5 rich
25-07-2009, 17:12
You only need a report if your tax band is going down, just had to supply engine code and size of engine when it was increased.

Well I just hope the number plack is still on the block! I will check when I get home tomorrow night

Brigsy
25-07-2009, 17:31
As far as im aware the rules have changed now & report is needed for fitting a bigger engine. To be fair i had a right carry on changing the van logbook including the dvla losing all paperwork, so keep copies of everything mate.

r5 rich
25-07-2009, 17:51
As far as im aware the rules have changed now & report is needed for fitting a bigger engine. To be fair i had a right carry on changing the van logbook including the dvla losing all paperwork, so keep copies of everything mate.

I will do. Thanks for the heads up!

Andrew Cooke
25-07-2009, 17:53
anyone know which of the number on a 172 block is the engine number, or what the number should look like so that I know that it's the right one

r5 rich
27-07-2009, 21:52
luckily my engine block still has the original numbers on it but are unsure of what reg car it come from due to me having to buy a spare block as my old one from the car I had was cracked!!

mike r5 gtt
27-07-2009, 21:56
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

anyone know which of the number on a 172 block is the engine number, or what the number should look like so that I know that it's the right one

the engine is an f4r then there will be 3 numbers eg. f4r753.thats ur engine fab number.

James5
27-07-2009, 22:02

the engine is an f4r then there will be 3 numbers eg. f4r753.thats ur engine fab number.

LOL I had the same prob when trying to register my f4r it is in fact a bar coded sticker on the side of the block. There are casting numbers on he back nextti the f4r bit. My sticker came off when painting it was just above where the gearbox attaches and the tdc would be

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
27-07-2009, 23:09

Thats actually the engine type and suffix......engine fab no. is longer than that normally starts with a letter and is followed by a number....i.e. D09872

Andrew Cooke
28-07-2009, 00:53
cheers guys,

I've not noticed a sticker, I'd have thought I would have as I've had the gearbox off and redone the cam timing, still I'll have another look tomorrow now I know what I'm looking for.

I'll also have another look at the numbers etched on the front see if either of them look like a letter and 4 numbers.

Do you think Renault would be able to tell me what the engine number should be from the chassis number?

Lewis
28-07-2009, 01:01
Renault should be able to tell you from the chassis number on the vehicle registration.

Andrew Cooke
28-07-2009, 01:04
Renault should be able to tell you from the chassis number on the vehicle registration.

I might give that a go, I don't know the reg, but I do have the chassis number :)

r5 rich
28-07-2009, 20:08
I have now got a headed note paper from the garage who mot`d my car to say it is the engine and have dug the logbook out to send it to the dvla with the new engine number on the 5 block the only thing I am unsure about is what numbers do they need?

The plaque on the block reads;

C1JG7/88
CO63099

TNT Tricky Nicky
28-07-2009, 21:57
The top line starting c1j is the engine type and spec the bottom line is the unique identification number, my log book only shows the engine no not the full code but I'm sure it won't hurt to put the whole lot

r5 rich
29-07-2009, 13:34
What engine capacity does the reanult 5 gt turbo logbook say it is?

I know its a 1400cc but on the logbook its different like 1397cc as I have to get this spot on I have been told by the dvla and I can`t find my old renault 5 logbook:cry:

Spooky
29-07-2009, 13:53
You'd be correct in thinking 1397cc :agree:

Leigh
29-07-2009, 13:55
What engine capacity does the reanult 5 gt turbo logbook say it is?

I know its a 1400cc but on the logbook its different like 1397cc as I have to get this spot on I have been told by the dvla and I can`t find my old renault 5 logbook:cry:

Its is 1397cc