PDA

View Full Version : Major rust issue

diggerdog36
25-07-2009, 13:47
Ive just removed the front bumper to repair it where I clipped a kerb, but when I tried to remove the 10mm bolts, the metal just gave way, and the whole front crossmember (left and right) came off with the bumper!!
Is there an easy way to fix this, as it looks pretty bad to me and cant refit the bumper without something to bolt it to!!

When Ive reduced the picture size I will post them up!

Brigsy
25-07-2009, 17:35
Time to get the welder out mate, Its quite common for the bumper brackets to fall off with rust.

dave-sbs
25-07-2009, 17:55
sounds like you have yourself a project neil , get the welder out as brigsy says.. welcome back to the world of 5's

diggerdog36
26-07-2009, 09:41
Ive just sold my welder a few weeks ago, before I had plans to buy another 5! Wher can I get the parts from, or do I need to fabricate them my self. It seem that the brackets are quite intricate to make. It looks like the brackets are welded to the inner arches.

Bigfoot
26-07-2009, 09:44
Make your own :agree:

FASH
26-07-2009, 15:22
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Happened to mine about a year ago, i did a temp repair with the intention of fabricating some new brackets/new bit of metal on inner arch. My temp repair was a bit of flat sheet metal riveted to the outer wing (already a hole for the rivet to go through) and drilled a hole so the 10mm bolt could go through to attach the bumper. It got through its MOT last year with it but gunna sort it out properly in next few weeks. Give me a shout with how ya do it or visa versa.