PDA

View Full Version : JC5 gearboxes

Ricardo
21-07-2009, 17:58
Ok so i'm on the lookout for another gearbox for my phase 1 Clio 172, i was at a Renault breakers today and they have a JC5 gearbox from a Megane 2l 16V. He says it's a direct fit onto the block, the speedo drive he says is also the same as mine as well. My only concerns are, is he right? :ashamed: and are the gear ratios and or final drive very different between the Megane and the Clio 172. I wouldn't like to fit a box only to find out it's quite lazy through the gears, a big difference compared to what i'm used to/have already.

I've downloaded a workshop repair manual for the JB and JC gearboxes but this crummy laptop won't let me copy and paste the link to the page as there's no toolbar with the http:www at the top. There's a few JC5 gearboxes that were fitted to Clios, Lagunas and Meganes but i can't tell the difference, i can read the data off the manual but don't know what it means.

Does anyone have dialogys to show the final drives for the Megane 2l and the 172? Or already has the gearbox repair manual downloaded to their PC and know what it means?

Cheers

Andrew Cooke
21-07-2009, 18:03
did you get the JC5-nnn number off the megane box?

Ricardo
21-07-2009, 18:08

I didn't, sorry. I can call the breakers tomorrow morning to get the 3 digits and post it here tomorrow after work

r5 rich
21-07-2009, 19:02
some people run a 172 phase 1 gearbox on a clio 16valver as it has the same speedo connection. Not sure about the gear ratio and final drive though.

A JC5 geabox is also from a williams.

Quick question about your gearbox if you could, do you know if yours has a bolt in diff or a circlip as I could be interested in it;)

Ricardo
21-07-2009, 19:15
some people run a 172 phase 1 gearbox on a clio 16valver as it has the same speedo connection. Not sure about the gear ratio and final drive though.

A JC5 geabox is also from a williams.

Quick question about your gearbox if you could, do you know if yours has a bolt in diff or a circlip as I could be interested in it;)

I'd imagine sourcing a gearbox from a Williams Clio is harder than a Phase 1 Clio 172. Clio 16V and 19 16V are cable operated speedo, they're also known for popping the diff circlips.

Not sure on bolt in or circlip on my gearbox (How can i find out?) but once i've sourced another box i'll either sell it as spare or weigh it in for scrap.

Apparently on the Megane box and mine, where the speedo hole is there's a black stalk where the wire plugs in, correct?? The breaker also mentioned this black stalk can be used in other J series gearboxes, maybe in the JB3

r5 rich
21-07-2009, 19:26
When removing the passenger driveshaft you will have either one or the other below.

I think yours would still come with a circlip as I don`t think renault made them with bolt in diff until a later date!

Circlip welded into a jb3 gearbox to stop it from popping

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=732&pictureid=7600

Bolt in diff

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=732&pictureid=7601

Ricardo
21-07-2009, 19:33
Gotcha, i'll only know once i've found another box and start to remove it from the 172 unless someone already knows the answer :)

This gearbox issue has gone on long enough :ashamed: i've found a JC5 gearbox once fitted to a Megane 2l at my local breakers and was hoping it would work.

r5 rich
21-07-2009, 19:35
if that fails I do have a friend who has a williams gearbox but he wants 150 and based in croydon.

or you could try these guys, not local but maybe able to crack a deal as they have a 172 phase 1 breaking.

http://www.cliospares.co.uk/breaking.html

Ricardo
21-07-2009, 19:38
if that fails I do have a friend who has a williams gearbox but he wants 150 and based in croydon.

or you could try these guys, not local but maybe able to crack a deal as they have a 172 phase 1 breaking.

http://www.cliospares.co.uk/breaking.html

£150 seems a fair price, Croydon is worth a trip out not too far

Ricardo
22-07-2009, 17:42

Hi Andy

Right, the breakers have given me a 3 digit number, i've also been on the phone to my local Renault parts department for JC5 info as well

The code on the Megane (or not) gearbox in my local breakers is JC5 091

The gearbox fitted in my phase 1 Clio 172 is a JC5 086

He mentioned that some of the Megane Coupes or Cabriolets had the JC5 106

The Williams Clio gearbox is a JC5 014

Renault parts couldn't confirm what Renault make and model car was fitted with the JC5 091 gearbox, the chap in the breakers was rather quick to get me the code over the phone so i'm dubious as to whether he actually got off his ar5e and went out to the gearbox in the yard to get me that 3 digit number.

Can you help with that JC5 091 Andy? :)

Bigfoot
22-07-2009, 17:48
Have you tried Citren for the gearbox?

I got my phase 1 172 box from them

Ricardo
22-07-2009, 17:51
Have you tried Citren for the gearbox?

I got my phase 1 172 box from them

I could try them, don't suppose you have their details to hand?

Did you have to change the speedo pickup when you fitted the 172 box?

Ricardo
22-07-2009, 18:08

OK so going from another thread after asking what 3 digit code a Megane 2l box would have someone has given me a code of JC5 053, so that's 091 and 053 :scratch:

I did ask for Megane 2l, maybe there's a box for an 8v and another for a 16v

Bigfoot
22-07-2009, 18:17
Cit-ren
01508 558655

I just asked for a phase 1 clio 172 gearbox. Didn't have to change the speedo pick up, they work on clio 1.4 rt clocks guessing they can interchange anyway between gearboxes and cars.

Ricardo
24-07-2009, 17:03
Bringing it back up, Andy have you had the chance to look into that suffix number? Can anyone else help, Paul B with the ol Renault tech or dialogys, i apreciate any help :)

Is there another gearbox repair manual knocking about showing the higher gearbox suffix numbers?