PDA

View Full Version : Tyre help for my fiesta ST

Dan O'Neill
20-07-2009, 21:45
Ive got a 05 plate fiesta st and ive lowered 35mm, rear axle extension blocks (10mm)each side and put a front strut brace on it, I love the way it drives and handles but it eats front tyre like there is no tomorrow.

Ive done 30,000 miles and gone through 3 pairs of front tyres and they all wear on the inside egdes, with plenty of tread left on the rest of the tyre. Sometimes I do drive it hard but ive calmed down a bit now due to cost of fuel and now tyres. Can anyone point me in some sort of direction of tyres at the moment ive got Avon ZZ3's on it all round.

A company called Pumaspeed do a camber adjuster but its £95+ vat and for the fiesta st you have to buy focus st170 top bearing plates? so this would be the very last resort to solve the tyre wearing problem. Thanks in advance for any suggestions and help.

Stuart Clark
20-07-2009, 21:48
Ive got a 05 plate fiesta st and ive lowered 35mm, rear axle extension blocks (10mm)each side and put a front strut brace on it, I love the way it drives and handles but it eats front tyre like there is no tomorrow.

Hi, we have sold loads of these and 10k for front tyres is good even if in standard trim :):)

Brigsy
20-07-2009, 22:38
Have you had the tracking done since lowering? Back in the day when i used to run a lot of camber my tyres never used to track off.

Cant complain too much of you have had 3 sets in 30 thousand, Good going if you drive hard imo.

Dan O'Neill
21-07-2009, 20:08
I was going to give the tracking a go on saturday, Its just so annoying that when the inner egdes wear out there is still about 3-5mm in the centre.

Its abit extreme but would corner weight setup help out?

If the standard ST's front tyres last about 10k then getting the camber adjuster wouldn't really be worth it. Is this right?

Kenobi
21-07-2009, 21:20
I was going to give the tracking a go on saturday, Its just so annoying that when the inner egdes wear out there is still about 3-5mm in the centre.

Its abit extreme but would corner weight setup help out?

If the standard ST's front tyres last about 10k then getting the camber adjuster wouldn't really be worth it. Is this right?

Buy some budget tyres and find out if camber adjustment or focus parts solve the problem. if it does then buy quality tyres.

Dan O'Neill
21-07-2009, 22:15
yeah ill try that ill track it on sat and put some budget tyres on and have a go at camber adjustment

dangerous dave
21-07-2009, 22:54
avon zz3 are shocking, they WILL wear like sh1t...

avoid any edge to edge design like that as most are dogsh1t, only exception is the goodyear eagle f1 as there awesome but they wear funny to..

stick the car on a 4 wheel tracking machine like there one found here http://www.merityre.co.uk/tyres-purley.htm and see what your settings are up too..

if i were after new tyres for your car i'd be sniffing out some michelins, i stuck toyo t1rs on my old dears clio and im starting to think i shouldn't have.. the exaltos were unreal, did 26k on the first set but the t1rs were half the price.......and it shows.

Dan O'Neill
22-07-2009, 19:55
I thought that the avon zz3's handled quite wellbut they wear so bad on the inner edges and it both fronts.

dangerous dave
22-07-2009, 20:07
I thought that the avon zz3's handled quite wellbut they wear so bad on the inner edges and it both fronts.

they may handle ok, even in the wet they might shift the water, but they feather and wear really badly.. every car i found them on they were shot to pieces.. most tyre companys have phased the styles out as it was a commen problem with the design.. the toyo t1s got shoulders and became the t1r etc..

someone said they would stop making the design, but they do have some good points + some cars handle like poop if they aren't fitted with xmas tree design tyres..