View Full Version : Volvo V40 T4 Conversion?

Ricardo
20-07-2009, 21:12
Was looking into this briefly, as Volvo and Renault share engines and gearboxes i was wondering whether the engine from a V40 T4 would go into the Clio 172 bay.

I found this engine on E Bay Item number: 250394401868

Spec on the engine is 200bhp and 221 ft/lbs, maybe a chip, better I/C etc could bring up the torque levels a bit more, not bad for an engine out the box

Found this info on gearboxes etc, copy and pasted from the Volvo 480 club

Renault used a JC5 on the F9Q diesel with 105bhp in 2003. Also the JR5 is used.
The more powerfull dCI's (120hp) used ND0 6 speed in the Megane and the PK6 in the Laguna II.

When Volvo bought the 1.9 diesels from Renault the deal was that Renault would use some Volvo petrol engines.

So for the facelifted Safrane, they put the Volvo engines in it.
-The B4204S (renault called it the N7Q) with about 140hp and a VM1(=Volvo M56) gearbox
-The B5254S (aka N7U) with +/- 170 hp with the same VM1 gearbox.

Also the first type Laguna did get the B4204S but with an Renault JC5 gearbox on it. This is the same as the first X40 had. Then N7Q only was in the Laguna RXE/RTI. Other versions used the 8v F3R engine.
When the first laguna was updated Renault replaced the N7Q with the F4R, Which is Renaults own 16v 2l.

Volvo X40 had at first all renault gearboxes (1.6,1.8,2.0,1.9TD), but the T4 always had the M56 gearbox.(Note that the 2.0 and T4 are almost the same block). I guess that 200hp and 300Nm is enough to break a JC5. http://volvo480.dragons.org.uk/forum/images/smiles/laugh.gif
Then in 1999 Volvo made some extensive modifications to the X40.
The 2.0l got VVT (B4204S2) and the M56.
From 1999 onwards all engines in the X40 slowly got the M56 gearbox.

Still it remains intresting how Volvo managed to put the M56 on the Renailt diesel. The M56 is quite bullet proof (how many diabolical 850 T5 are on this planet which stock transmission?).
Renault dont use the JC5 (which is the strongest in the JB3/JC5 boxes) with engines pushing out more then 200Nm. That could one reason why the 480 turbo only delivers 120hp/175NM.

SP33DY
20-07-2009, 21:32
I've also been trawling the 480 forums looking into the feasibility of using the m56 box on my turbo 182.

I even have a spare 172 bottom end and was considering buying a box just to see if it would fit.

However looking at various photos it would appear that the volvo has it's starter motor located at the front whilst the renault has it on the rear. Also the engine mounts are in different positions to. This alone is enough to put me off.

With the amount of fabrication involved to get the engine and box to fit you may as well go down the VAG 1.8T route as theres considerably more proven tuning options out there.

Also be careful when people are banding the term "JC5 box" around as from what Ive seen/read there seem to be a few variants of it and there not as interchhageable as people would have you believe.

Steve

Mart
20-07-2009, 21:36
Ricky, if you're thinking about engine swaps, the vag 1.8T is a proven unit (as in power, reliability, and fitment wise). That, or turbo what's already in situ.

Alternatively, have a crack at the not-so-far-fetched idea of fitting a tdi lump...

Ricardo
20-07-2009, 21:56
Ricky, if you're thinking about engine swaps, the vag 1.8T is a proven unit (as in power, reliability, and fitment wise). That, or turbo what's already in situ.

Alternatively, have a crack at the not-so-far-fetched idea of fitting a tdi lump...

Money no object (unsure on what the conversion cost is) it would be something i'd look into doing. Mart, since day 1 we've always banged on about the potential of TDi, yet again money no object i'd pursue this avenue, big torque figure in a lighter shell :)

I assumed that with the Volvo lump it would be the cheapest way to go to get a reasonable power advantage (from 172 to 220) torque being the bigger gain in the conversion. The laguna 2l 16V (N7Q) is a Volvo block and is exactly the same block in the V40 turbo T4, The laguna uses the JC5

Does someone know the complete costing of a VAG conversion?