PDA

View Full Version : Drivers side driveshaft

James5
20-07-2009, 17:37
I have got to replace my drivers side driveshaft due to some not very nice noise on pulling away and I have noticed the bellow has split so it has run dry :( what's the best way to remove? Or should I just follow the haynes? Any tips welcome.

Andrew Cooke
20-07-2009, 17:46
knock out split pin
remove 30mm nut
remove caliper from hub
undo bottom ball joint
undo trackrod end

see Haynes for refitting instructions

Andrew Cooke
20-07-2009, 17:47
oh yeah, you'll need to take the wheel off too :D

James5
20-07-2009, 21:18
Cheers for the advice Andy,

All done now didn't need to remove the caliper from the hub in the end:D removed the lower ball joint to axle carrier which gave me enough clearance to move things about. Took me a little while to get the 30mm nut of though but all good.
Cheers though

Andrew Cooke
20-07-2009, 21:22
sweet, I wasn't certain about the caliper, but figured it'd be easier to remove the 2 bolts before it all came apart rather than find out that you needed to with everything flopping about :)

boostjunky
20-07-2009, 23:26
I did the drivers side over the weekend, managed with just the driveshaft>hub nut (30mm) and both strut/hub bolts. You should be able to work it out.

raj
21-07-2009, 23:54
ive currently got my drivers driveshaft off, but could someone tell me how im supposed to remove the inner gaitor.?:scratch: the narrow side seems to have a clip that looks like you have to break, and the larger side has a metal ring with no join :scratch:
im just wanting to check the condition of the 3-shaft knuckles under this gaitor.

JRP
22-07-2009, 00:54
ive currently got my drivers driveshaft off, but could someone tell me how im supposed to remove the inner gaitor.?:scratch: the narrow side seems to have a clip that looks like you have to break, and the larger side has a metal ring with no join :scratch:
im just wanting to check the condition of the 3-shaft knuckles under this gaitor.

some things are best left alone... belive me.

markey b
22-07-2009, 02:01
i know this is too late, but you dont even have to remove the ball joint...

wheel off
30mm hub nut off (dont loose washer)
shock to hub bolts, remove top one, loosen bottom one
knock out pin (if there)
you'll be able to move hub out on the balljoint, helps if you turn steering fully left
remove driveshaft and refit new one

works on renault 19's as well :p

raj
22-07-2009, 08:37
some things are best left alone... belive me.

not this time, i need to see if the knuckles are damaged!
due to having the wrong (longer)wishbones fitted, the drivers shaft was not fully sitting in the metal part that sides over the gearbox spline,
when i moved the car,the gearbox obviously engaged put the shaft stayed still as it wasnt in properly and i got a horrible machine gun sound due to the gearbox/spline/metal housing spinning and hitting the static driveshaft.

soo, i need to get the gaiter off to at least see if the knuckles are damged or not.

James5
22-07-2009, 09:15
You can remove the gaitor to show the knuckles by undoing the big circlip but it will need replacing this will allow the bellow to be pulled back to reveal knuckles. I will get a pic of mine up later not a pretty sight 1 of the knuckles has been tottally destroyed and the bearings missing :eek:

raj
22-07-2009, 09:21
You can remove the gaitor to show the knuckles by undoing the big circlip but it will need replacing this will allow the bellow to be pulled back to reveal knuckles. I will get a pic of mine up later not a pretty sight 1 of the knuckles has been tottally destroyed and the bearings missing :eek:

would be good if you could get a pic up:agree:

how exactly do you remove the clip on the larger side.? there doesnt seem to be a join on it:scratch: seems like the clip has been pressed over the gaitor.?:scratch:

are these gaitor clips of a special type? i assume you cannot use a jubilee type to replace them.?

James5
22-07-2009, 10:05
Couple of pics of the damaged Drivers side driveshaft

raj
22-07-2009, 19:15
Couple of pics of the damaged Drivers side driveshaft

james, how exactly do you undo the large clip? as to me it looks like a complete sealed ring that cant be undone:scratch:

James5
22-07-2009, 19:23
james, how exactly do you undo the large clip? as to me it looks like a complete sealed ring that cant be undone:scratch:

I snapped mine off to see the damage, gaitor was still intact and has no holes so not sure how it has run dry though:crap:

raj
22-07-2009, 20:05
I snapped mine off to see the damage, gaitor was still intact and has no holes so not sure how it has run dry though:crap:

you snapped it off.! so im assuming you cannot re-use it now?

thats the thing, my gaitor is also intact and i dont want to damage it either by trying to prise the ring/clip off. ive got to get it off though:sad: