PDA

View Full Version : Single wiper keeps snapping !

Deano
20-07-2009, 12:29
My single wiper conversion keeps snapping tha small casting thats on the wiper motor arm, i'm on my second one now and its just snapped again:cry:

Has anyone come across this before and is there a remedy or different motor to use ?

BriC
20-07-2009, 12:32
Fack! :cry:

Don't think I have any more spare! Unless I find the one off that red campus I had.

My opinion - throw the single wiper kit in the bin! :)

Gymnast
20-07-2009, 12:33
They are notably crap ... I have one on my car that did exactly the same thing ... driving in a monsoon with your head hanging out of the window is not fun, believe me! lol

In the end, I actually ended up drilling a hole through the casting and the casing and put a small metal rod in the hole. 12 months on, touch wood, it's still hunky dory,
PMT does it again :)

Deano
20-07-2009, 12:42
[quote=BriC;86646]My opinion - throw the single wiper kit in the bin! :)[/quote/]

But it looks cool !!:laugh:

I think i'll have a go at bodging it like Gymnast says but i'm after a proper fix, maybe a rear window motor ?

I've got a long piece of string tied to the wiper and in through the side windows so me and a passenger can pull to wipe the windows !!:wasntme:

Ashy
20-07-2009, 12:44
Aye, there is a way.

Instead of cutting one of the rods completely off, leave it as long as possible and flatten the end. Then bend it and bolt the flattened end to the rear of the scuttle tray. This will then give 3 mounting points and stop it from flexing (which is what eventually kills it). Worked for me.

Deano
20-07-2009, 12:46
AAAAArrg ! I did that but i didn't fix it to the body i just left it hanging around with a view to fixing it down !:cartman:

If i get another i'll do it !:agree:

BriC
20-07-2009, 14:11
But it looks cool !!:laugh:

I think i'll have a go at bodging it like Gymnast says but i'm after a proper fix, maybe a rear window motor ?

I've got a long piece of string tied to the wiper and in through the side windows so me and a passenger can pull to wipe the windows !!:wasntme:

I've got plenty of rear window motors if you decide to go that route :D

Deano
20-07-2009, 14:33
Would it be powrfull enough and does it have two speeds ??!!:confused:

markey b
20-07-2009, 14:34
same here... schoolboy error is to delete the bit coming off the motor, i shortened the tube, and re-riveted in the bit on the end that holds the spindle behind the scuttle. my cars been painted 3 years in sept and thats how long the wiper arm has held out. also, use a citroen picasso rear wiper arm and blade, shorter arm means less stress on linkage, plus they look cool

BriC
20-07-2009, 14:36
I would have thought the speed was controlled by the relay, not the actual motor?

Deano
20-07-2009, 15:25
I would have thought the speed was controlled by the relay, not the actual motor?
Dunno mate ! If you've got one spare i could experiment with ;)

Gymnast
20-07-2009, 16:21
Alternatively, pay one of those annoying immigrants who try to wash your windscreen at the traffic lights 50p/hour to sit on your bonnet with a squeegee :wasntme: