PDA

View Full Version : rebuild

royz
19-07-2009, 17:55
ive just stripped down my engine as i had a lifted vavle stem seal. so at the same time im goint to replace piston rings, bearings ect. ive noticed on the liner about 3mm from the top there is a black band of muck. is this normal or a cause for concern. it will come of if rubbed with a rag soaked in petrol just wondered if any body else has come across this as i want to get the rebuild done and run in in time for natonal day.

RICHIE
19-07-2009, 17:56
ive just stripped down my engine as i had a lifted vavle stem seal. so at the same time im goint to replace piston rings, bearings ect. ive noticed on the liner about 3mm from the top there is a black band of muck. is this normal or a cause for concern. it will come of if rubbed with a rag soaked in petrol just wondered if any body else has come across this as i want to get the rebuild done and run in in time for natonal day.

it could possibly be oil if your piston rings are slightly worn. that may be the cause of the smoke also rather than the stem seal

royz
19-07-2009, 18:05
thoght that as well. it only gave a small puff of smoke when hot. but after not having it out for two weeks it smoked on start up then cleared. hopefully all will be well by the end of the week.

royz
23-07-2009, 19:01
is it ok to use cheap oil for the first 20 miles after a rebuild as i will then be changing to decent oil with a new filter.

The new Bill J
23-07-2009, 19:05
It's fine to always use cheap oil, as long as it's semi-synth.