View Full Version : Ebay fees

tom t
19-07-2009, 13:03
could anyone tell me how much it would cost me in fees if i sold a car for £4500 on ebay?

as im kinda confused. im not sure if its 10% of the final value fee plus the insertion fee.

or if its £35 plus the insertion fee any help would be much appreciated.

as im thinking of lowering the reserve on the missus 182, and its ending today.

any help much appreciated cheers:agree:

diggerdog36
20-07-2009, 22:49
First post!

If it helps, I just sold my Land Rover Discovery II for £4450 and I paid £35, all I did was offer the buyer a fiver and ask him to say the sale didnt proceed, so I cancelled the sale through ebay and got my £35 back! Fee free!!

D4WNO
21-07-2009, 06:27
The thing is, by doing that, you leave yourself wide open to allsorts and ebay and/or PayPal cannot protect you if the full transaction didn't complete.

Google "ebay fee calculator", there's quite a few out there which will show you what you would end up paying :agree:

rich-hgtt
21-07-2009, 13:09
The thing is, by doing that, you leave yourself wide open to allsorts and ebay and/or PayPal cannot protect you if the full transaction didn't complete.

Google "ebay fee calculator", there's quite a few out there which will show you what you would end up paying :agree:

Ebay offers no useful protection for sellers at all.
If it's a car and they've got to come and get it anyway I'd always just make sure the buyer pays with cash so they cant do a paypal chargeback at a later date and rip you off.

Also ebay are a bunch of robbing crooks. I sold a laptop for £200 and they took £20 and then paypal fees on top. I dont see how anyone using it as a business makes any margin after ebay have taken their 10%

diggerdog36
21-07-2009, 14:05
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

I'd always just make sure the buyer pays with cash so they cant do a paypal chargeback at a later date and rip you off.

How long after a sale can you file a chargeback?
And why doesnt everyone do it, surely theres something in place to prevent people doing it?

rich-hgtt
21-07-2009, 15:27
I dont think they file a chargeback with paypal,
what they do is ring the credit card company they used to pay paypal and complain that they didnt get the goods.

With very few questions asked the card company charge back paypal and paypal charge back from your bank.

If you're crafty like me and empy your paypal account into a bank account with nothing in then transfer it out via online banking, they can only put your paypal into negative and you have the upper hand over them when you complain to them.;)

I think also they've got 6 months to complain to the card company.

tom t
21-07-2009, 17:26
cheers everyone. it doesnt matter now as the car didnt go. which isnt a great help. as my little ones due in 3 weeks and the buggy doesnt even fit in the boot of the clio lol. :disagree: