PDA

View Full Version : Steel R5 liners?

sonic-jdm
17-07-2009, 10:45
Does any body know what grade material is used for steel liners for the R5?? has im thinking of replacing my standard cast ones.

cheers Mark

TrixNFlix
17-07-2009, 11:27
Why are you replacing them dude?

Spooky
17-07-2009, 11:30
Erm, steel :crap:...:cooter:

Nayls
17-07-2009, 11:35

:eek: i alway's thought they were cast ones that were just.....................err...................... .............err.................................. .....stolen from the factory.... :confused:

Misky
17-07-2009, 11:39

What grade steel though! :cooter: :upyours:

JRP
17-07-2009, 11:41
Cry me a shooting down river if you like.

If sombody had the correct equipment i.e lathe and had the correct mesurments; could that person make their own liners ? id be really interested to find out how to make them.

Or are they from moulds?

Spooky
17-07-2009, 11:43
What grade steel though! :cooter: :upyours:

i know what it is, i was just seeing how far i could drag it out :cooter:

Misky
17-07-2009, 11:49
Dont know if this is of any use, but they make liners for aston martins, land rover V8's etc

JRP - The impression i get are that they are all cast

http://westwoodcylinderliners.co.uk/images/uploads/Westwood_C04_Material.pdf

Brigsy
17-07-2009, 11:55
Save your money, the cast liners are fine on a well set up engine;)

James5
17-07-2009, 12:00
Save your money, the cast liners are fine on a well set up engine;)

My thoughts exactly save you money and buy LM-1 wideband. Are you thinking steel liners because of the VNT?? Don't forget if you do go steel liners you will need different rings as standard rings will just get eaten up. Look at what Markey B is doing he uses standard liners and runs around 27psi and I think he has had 1 liner failure @ POD but that is all I can recall reading about I am sure he will post.

If you are using the car for fast road and track matey 1 bar is more than enough boost to have fun with the VNT.

Deano
17-07-2009, 12:02
tHEY WILL MOST LIKELY BE A CAST BILLET WHICH IS MACHINED ON A LATHE TO GET THE TIGHT TOLERANCE OF THE BORES ETC, YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET SOME MADE IF YOU KNEW THE STEEL SPEC AND HAD A DRAWING OR SIZES :agree:

sonic-jdm
17-07-2009, 12:06
well, ive just CAD up a drawing of a standard liner and im going down South (Plymouth) to my old work. going to get a quote to see how much they will cost me to get them made. (work mates discount of course);)

So if i can get them cheap i might as well fit them as il be fitting my VNT turbo:cooter:

So does any body know what GRADE steel? i think i might be A1 but not sure:scratch:

Deano
17-07-2009, 12:13
I've just beeen looking at the grade mate and it seems to be general cast iron, but its the way that its cast, centrifugally, which i'm just checking on but i think it gets spun while it's being cast so the lay of the strenghth of the material is different:crap: if you know what i mean !

Deano
17-07-2009, 12:23
Grey cast iron, ASTM A48

stuTHC
17-07-2009, 12:37
If you wanna make them out of steel, which is pointless 'cos cast iron are fine for huge boost and power in a 5gtt, then A1 is a long way from what you wanna use, it'd last minutes with the load and heat on them. You'd be looking more like a EN24 or an ASP grade, but even they have there limitations with the wear they will be under. It is more a case of seeing what material the rings are made from and make sure it is not dissimilar to the liners.

When i priced up a set of liners from my tooling supplier at work the cost of the material alone was double the cost of buying a brand new set from ktec, then you have the machining costs etc. And those weren't mates rate, that was a favour from a company i put £50,000 there way every month with orders.

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=245&pictureid=7459

I will make some one day thou, and ceramic coat them!! :D

sonic-jdm
Thanks for the info

i see that k-tec do steel liners but what material grade do they use?? not the cast one's

James5
Don't forget to get some decent rings for the steel liners
I used Total Seals - http://www.totalseal.com/

I know there is another brand out there but I can't remember the name:ashamed:

sonic-jdm
17-07-2009, 12:43
thanks stuthc:agree: for the info
i see your points and will take them on board;)

Gymnast
17-07-2009, 15:54
I got my rings for steel liners from MecaParts in France ... http://www.mecaparts.com/Moteurs/page.php?lang=0&sortie=html&col=R5&page=1

R5 GTT at bottom of page

Send them an email, they were very helpful.

I tried to get Total Seal rings but when I spoke to them they said one of the rings wouldn't fit as they would have to coat it for steel liners, therefore I would have had to enlarge the groove on the piston ... :scared:

Sparkie
17-07-2009, 17:12
i think EP's steel liners were EN24