PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Problem, to hot... to spicy.. Hot Hot!

sonic-jdm
16-07-2009, 08:48
My car seems to run to hot, when started from cold it takes awhile to warm like normal, but once it starts to get hot from normal driving i have to have the fan on constant plus the heater fan in the car to keep it from going up and over the third mark. i cant drive it on boost for long has it will send it over the third mark.

things ive tried so far.....

changed old rad to another rad i had spare lying around (but to be honest it not in any better condition than the first one)
cleaned hoses and flushed system out (twice)
it has NO thermostat
chamged heat sensor on water pump(incase i had a faulty one) no change
cooling system pressures as normal when hot (so not head gasket leaking)
I have got a new ally rad coming from china town but not yet deliverd:cry: to test to see if the rad is my problem.

Is there any other things i should be looking at?? cheers

Note; im only using water in the system

Bigfoot
16-07-2009, 09:00
Put a thermostat in,

How are you bleeding the system?

sonic-jdm
16-07-2009, 09:08
Put a thermostat in,

How are you bleeding the system?

I thought taking the termostat out helps the system to flow better(less restriction) witch helps cooling. to be honest dont realy want to have a thermostat in there when i hammering it round track.

been doing both ways, putting mouth over tank and blowing to release air from bleed valves as well has holding the tank has high as i can. stil no luck:cry:

TrixNFlix
16-07-2009, 09:09
As Bigfoot said. When I first bought my car the thermastat was missing from the top hose and my car was over heating badly. It seem to be that the water flowed to fast through the radiator, causing not enough heat loss. Get the stat in. :agree:

Logg
16-07-2009, 09:11
You could have a blocked rad due to running only water try blowing through the rad you took out with a hose to see what floats out of it!

sonic-jdm
16-07-2009, 09:29
ok will get a new thermostat after work and test tonight. fingers cross it will work:agree:

Brigsy
16-07-2009, 11:40
Id say the rad is at fault if the cooling system has been bled properly.

sonic-jdm
16-07-2009, 12:53
right just pop out at lunch to get me a thermostat £7.50!!!!!!:eek: from halfrauds robbing mother F**kers!!

as i havnt got my manual to hand, witch way round does the thermo fit? does the brass coloured sensor thingy magigy face into the water pump or away? cant remember:scratch:

TrixNFlix
16-07-2009, 13:22
Brass sensor end pointing into water pump. :)

sonic-jdm
16-07-2009, 13:32
Brass sensor end pointing into water pump. :)

cheers TrixNFlix i o you one:agree:

sonic-jdm
22-07-2009, 14:35
UPDATE

right ive fitted a thermostat and finally fitted my new alloy rad. And it the BLOODY same:cry: still keeps over heating?? im out of ideas now:scratch:

i dont know if i should by pass the heater matrix to see if it may be blocked or full of ****e restricting the flow?

Any more ideas would be great.

IANMM
22-07-2009, 14:43
Is your temp gauge faulty?

Water pump working?

Air lock?

Bigfoot
22-07-2009, 14:47
Is the rad getting warm at the top?

IANMM
22-07-2009, 14:48
have you not flushed your heater matrix out then?

philr5t
22-07-2009, 15:08
a mate of mine had this problem and it was down to him wiring the fan in wrong he wired it up round the wrong way and it was sucking air out rather than blowing cold air in just a thought but maybe check

TrixNFlix
22-07-2009, 16:23
The Oe temp gauges can be hit and miss. You say that you have to turn on the fan by a switch? So have you bypassed the orginal wiring and sensor. If the fans not coming on itself only by you switching it and you have the temp sensor in then I would say that it's probably the temp gauge being well out and it's not realy as hot as you think.

sonic-jdm
22-07-2009, 18:27
Its FIXED:)

Halfords sold me a faulty thermosta, i tested it in boiling water and it just didnt open.
took the thermo out and runs nice and cool up on and off boost:cool:

Cheers for the help guys, these five's can be a pain some days!! but worth it!:laugh:

Bigfoot
22-07-2009, 18:48
Now just need to get another thermostat which works and put it in there.

Kenobi
22-07-2009, 19:15
Yes chap dont be running without one.

:agree:

TrixNFlix
22-07-2009, 20:23
Yes chap dont be running without one.

:agree:

Coolio :cool:Now do what the Bigfoot and kenobi say. :agree:

markey b
22-07-2009, 23:09
a mate of mine had this problem and it was down to him wiring the fan in wrong he wired it up round the wrong way and it was sucking air out rather than blowing cold air in just a thought but maybe check

i've done that before... couldn't work out why it got hotter with the fan on than off, until i walked in front of it and could feel air out the grille lol