PDA

View Full Version : oil from back of Turbo.....again...??

V Man
14-07-2009, 18:40
Right, things are not looking good.....

I recently rebuilt my turbo (Nissan 200sx type) and found that the kit I had did not match the core of the Nissan so, I had to use a core from a Tomcat Turbo I had as the bearings were too big for Nissan Turbo. Fitted the 200sx shaft to the Tomcat housing and fitted new bearings, 360 thrust washer and two new seals on the shafts. All looked ok but I have just tried it and oil is leaking out the back quite steadily, just on idle.
I guess it must be the seals?

what I am wondering now is the tomcat got starved of oil when I had an oil pressure problem (hence why I removed it) and I was thinking if the core on the Tomcat could have worn as the rear bearing looked in pretty bad shape and was loose when I dismantled it?

Sound plausible?

Or has anyone an old Tomcat Core they could part with? All I need is the core nothing else:confused::eek::mad::ashamed::scratch:

Cheers

Rob

Matt Cole
14-07-2009, 22:42
Rob, get it hot and give it a run. report back. Have a fire extinguisher at the ready tho!

V Man
14-07-2009, 22:47
Rob, get it hot and give it a run. report back. Have a fire extinguisher at the ready tho!

Matt, I took the turbo elbow off at idle and there was a fair old stream of oil out the batty.
I just don't think the exhaust seal has done its job which is a shame:cry:

I'm just going to transfer the bearings and thrust washers to a different core and get new seals and try again.

You got any of the old saabs about still....I need a core to transfer the wheels and bearings to?:)

Ashy
14-07-2009, 23:08
as discussed G, my bet is the tomcat core is badly worn from contact with the shaft when the rear bearing collapsed. Thats why the rear piston ring type seal dropped straight in rather than being a pain to fit (like Marks was).

Someone must have a dead T25 that they dont need anymore?

Matt Cole
15-07-2009, 07:40
Matt, I took the turbo elbow off at idle and there was a fair old stream of oil out the batty.
I just don't think the exhaust seal has done its job which is a shame:cry:

I'm just going to transfer the bearings and thrust washers to a different core and get new seals and try again.

You got any of the old saabs about still....I need a core to transfer the wheels and bearings to?:)

Oh so not such a 'dribble' then! Iv'e just donated my last one matey. If only you had said on monday. Saying that i think i have one in bits in the garage. I'll have a look tonight.......

V Man
15-07-2009, 09:55
As long as the core has the bigger type bearings in as the Tomcat and possibly the Saab it should be ok?

Will I need seals fo the compressor and exhaust side do you reckon?