PDA

View Full Version : Slow going back to windows on some games

UNICRONICUS
14-07-2009, 16:11
Has anyone ever come across this on their systems? Whenever I play Killing Floor on my PC and exit the game back to windows, it takes about 30 secs for the operating system to come back to life and for my icons to appear again. It doesn't do it on other games e.g. left 4 dead, far cry 2 etc... so why this game? I have 4GB of memory (3.25GB recognized though in XP), my CPU is a Duo core Intel clocked to 3.6GHz and my GFX card is more than up to the job as the game doesn't lag at all when playing it flat out. Any ideas? Or is it just a buggy game? I know I had to revert my overclocked GFX settings back to default as the game didn't like this at all!

Gymnast
14-07-2009, 22:03
As it only happens with one game that helps you narrow it down a bit. My suggestions to start with would be:

1) Check on forums for that game to see if anyone else is experiencing the same issue.

2) Check to see if the game uses a setting on the graphics card that the other don't. There could be an issue with flicking to/from this resolution/setup.

3) Use a process monitor to investigate whether there are specific files that are in use that are not used by the other games. A reinstall of the game could resolve any issues with corrupt files.

UNICRONICUS
15-07-2009, 09:42
Nice one, I'll check all this out. It think you're right about the game probably being the culprit, it's not as if my machine is not capable to run it and close it...

6FOOT6
15-07-2009, 18:17
its just unloading from memory and clearing out its pagefile usage

UNICRONICUS
16-07-2009, 09:37
Seems better now after the game downloaded an update from Steam... Not the best game in the world anyway :crap:

DaveMayGTT
16-07-2009, 10:44
agree with 6foot6, only thing that might help is a 64bit os so you can use all your RAM. The update probably optimised memory usage and so is a bit quicker

UNICRONICUS
16-07-2009, 11:09
It's only a cheap game so that is more than likely what the problem was. I disabled my paging file because it shouldn't really need it with the memory I've got, I did re-enable it though and put it back to system managed thinking that might solve it but it didn't. Agreed though, a 64 bit OS would help but I am going to wait for Windows 7 64bit to come out, I'm on XP 32bit at the moment, didn't fancy installing Vista, rather just wait...

Gymnast
16-07-2009, 11:12
I am going to wait for Windows 7 64bit to come out, I'm on XP 32bit at the moment, didn't fancy installing Vista, rather just wait...

Good idea, Vista is pants ... I've installed Windows 7 on my laptop, works a treat!! I didn't even need any device drivers but have put manufacturer drivers on afterwards anyway :)

UNICRONICUS
16-07-2009, 11:26
Quick question with regards to Windows 7... I notice that some places are doing pre-order deals for Windows 7 pro at £89! That is a great price considering that the retail price will go up to circa £219 come the 1st January, although there doesn't seem to be any deals for Windows 7 Ultimate. Looking at the specs of each, the only thing Windows Ultimate offers over the pro version doesn't seem a lot, and considering I will be using it mainly for gaming can you see any real benefits in going for the Ultimate version?

Gymnast
16-07-2009, 11:37
Quick question with regards to Windows 7... I notice that some places are doing pre-order deals for Windows 7 pro at £89! That is a great price considering that the retail price will go up to circa £219 come the 1st January, although there doesn't seem to be any deals for Windows 7 Ultimate. Looking at the specs of each, the only thing Windows Ultimate offers over the pro version doesn't seem a lot, and considering I will be using it mainly for gaming can you see any real benefits in going for the Ultimate version?

Have a butchers at this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions#Comparison_chart

UNICRONICUS
16-07-2009, 13:50
Doesn't seem like I'm missing a lot then! I've just pre-ordered my copy of Windows 7 Pro from PC World for £89, get them while they're hot, otherwise they keep on going up and up after August 8th.